Huis Marseille, Museum for Photography
  • Tour highlights & full itinerary
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

Recommended experiences in and around Amsterdam
from USD 37.34
from USD 23.12
from USD 32.37
from USD 31.79
More Info
All reviews canal side exhibition space canal house nice bookshop temporary exhibits typical dutch book shop interesting exhibition on display foam photographs townhouse library artists canalside documentary media
Reviewed 15 March 2018

We enjoyed our visit here even though the current exhibitions were not right up our alley.We didn't need to spend more then an hour or so because of this but do not let that deter you from checking this museum out.Art can be so very personal and photography aficionados should make the time for this special canal-side gorgeous gallery.

Date of experience: March 2018
Reviewed 25 February 2018

Photography is art and therefore there are things that you will love, like, loathe and hate or just have not interest in. The exhibits for my visit were very good documentary journalistic photo exhibits, but unfortunately neither if the exhibits lit my flame so to speak, I understood the stories that they were trying to tell, but as photographs they did not excite me, which as a keen photographer I am looking for them to do.

The building itself is well laid out and easy to follow, the narrative alongside the images is very good. and the staff were helpful, it was just unfortunate that for this visit the artist did not tick my box.

Date of experience: February 2018
Reviewed 5 February 2018 via mobile

Huis Marseille was an amazing find. I was looking for something different and an exhibit, Jerusalem Stone caught my eye. Entry fee was beyond reasonable at 8 euro. The museum is small but laid out over several floors. Each room is curated beautifully for maximum impact. I was pleased to find 2 special exhibits, Jerusalem Stone and Setting the Stage, a photographic exhibit on North Korea. The museum was not at all crowded which gave ample opportunity to linger over both thought provoking exhibits. I will definitely return on my next trip to see what is new.

Date of experience: February 2018
Reviewed 28 January 2018

Reading some of the previous reviews, it's hard to understand the preconceptions some people arrive with when they visit a 'museum' in a traditional canalside house in Amsterdam. 'Museum' is a generic term, not a specific undertaking to provide a chronological history of an art form - if it was then art museums worldwide would have to close for false advertising. Coming to a 'museum' located in a typical Dutch canalside house should be self-explanatory; you're going to be moving up and down a lot, rather than from side to side. Lifts are provided.

The Huis Marseille really worked for me. The current exhibitions of Eddo Hartmann and Ad Van Denderen are provocative and politically charged, which is something generally avoided in the contemporary sensationalist and self-indulgent/self-reverential art world. They are very much looking out, questioning the viewer about the world in which they inhabit, and how the motivated reportage received through mainstream media distorts perception.

I really appreciated the curatorship and the use made of the not exactly easy to work with space; it's like a little adventure moving through the beautiful gallery. Seemingly not big on the tourist map, I was overjoyed with the time and space to absorb the images in the tranquil environment, without some impatient person wanting to take a photo shuffling around me.

Wonderful.

Date of experience: January 2018
Reviewed 9 January 2018

visited the museum to see the exhibtion of photos (and film) by Eddo Hartmann, a Dutch photographer. He visited North Korea a couple of times to take pictures, here exhibited until March 4th 2018:

An interesting exhibition with, for me, a bit eery pictures. Huge buildings and monuments and almost lost people. Interesting.

tip: I think the museum is mostly visited by the Dutch. But, even though it is not quite clear on their site, they have an english site as well: add /en to the site address

The museum is located in old canal house. Even thought the level of maintenance is not the same as in some of the canal houses, you can get a free view of how some of these canalside houses are/were. Lots of stair cases and stairs. High ceilings. On the ground floor there is a place to have a drink, which still has a very old stove (picture).
For 8 euros you can see exhibitions and see an old canalside house.
Nice small garden in the back.

Date of experience: January 2018