“Nice atmosphere, decent but not outstanding food”

Rainarai Westgasfabriek
Reserve with
Rainarai Westgasfabriek is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,060 of 4,550 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: African
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Second location of Rainarai, the one on the site is the central one Prinsengracht, whereas this is located in a park about 2 km from the city centre.
Reviewed 6 October 2017

There's a really nice relaxed atmosphere to this place, and clearly all involved give a (Amster)damn. The food is vaguely Algerian, so expect flavours and textures similar to Moroccan food. I was a bit disappointed with the chef's platter, but it was a good place to have a meeting.

Reviewed 1 September 2017 via mobile

When I go to have a dinner, I don't look just for a nice food, but I look for a nice atmosphere, with friendly service, in this place I found all of this! Show of food!

The best!

Reviewed 21 August 2017

We were more than 10 to have dinner here, so we had different plates to share and taste a bit of everything. Portions were not that big but overall good, overpriced though.
Service was terrible.

Reviewed 11 July 2017 via mobile

Ranïnaraï is a North African restaurant in Amsterdam. It's located in the refurbished Westergas area in the Westerpark of Amsterdam.

The restaurant has a nice terrace, which offers views on a canal. You eat at long tables, which can be a quite sociable experience. For the true nomadic experience, you can also eat on cushions and low tables Due to its location on the outskirts of the Westerpark it's rather quite. Do expect a lot of people running and cycling past the terrace.

The food surprised me with some new tasting sensations. A lot of spices that my tongue did not recognize straight away. The starters where great. My main course was turkey tajine with cinnamon and the vegetables of the day. Nice, but it didn't blew my mind.

Staff tends to forget to ask if you want a drink. Which is something that surprises me, since a lot of restaurants apparently don't seem to bother that they could make a profit on drinks by southing there customers in their beverage needs. We had to ask staff if we could order. That should be the other way around.

All in all a nice restaurant if you want something completely different. Watch your head if you're going to the toilet!

Reviewed 9 April 2017

The large detached building in the lovely Westerpark is full of character and has an amazing terrace with bamboo structures and lanterns which make for an inviting atmosphere.

It was not busy when we arrived early evening, and things started well as the waitress took our order and returned promptly with the drinks...

We ordered lentil soup and salad for starter and chicken tagine for main.

Some 40 mins later we still hadn't got the starter and so prompted the waitress twice as were super hungry. She said they were 'cooking the soup' and it should be on the way.

All this time the chefs were cooking what seemed like a massive chicken stirfry in a large pan on an outdoor wooden oven. It smelled amazing but we assumed it to be another dish on the menu as tagine is not made that way.

The starters came eventually and were reasonably tasty, though the soup was not hot hot and the salad didn't seem at all North African in flavour, more like a Russian beetroot salad than anything.

The portion was large thankfully as we had to wait another half hour until the main tagine came out.

At 20Euro a dish I was expecting something pretty special. The reality was that the chicken stirfry we had seen being made earlier has just been put in a tagine dish and chucked in the oven for 10 mins. It was not even really hot. The flavours were not North African in vibe... the chicken was bouncy and not melty like a tagine should be.

The so called tagine made me feel very bloated for the rest of the day and was generally forgettable in flavour.

I really wanted to like the food as the restaurant looks so perfect... what a shame the food could not match it.