“Nice nomadic restaurant”

Rainarai Westgasfabriek
Reserve with
Rainarai Westgasfabriek is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,059 of 4,550 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: African
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Second location of Rainarai, the one on the site is the central one Prinsengracht, whereas this is located in a park about 2 km from the city centre.
Reviewed 11 July 2017 via mobile

Ranïnaraï is a North African restaurant in Amsterdam. It's located in the refurbished Westergas area in the Westerpark of Amsterdam.

The restaurant has a nice terrace, which offers views on a canal. You eat at long tables, which can be a quite sociable experience. For the true nomadic experience, you can also eat on cushions and low tables Due to its location on the outskirts of the Westerpark it's rather quite. Do expect a lot of people running and cycling past the terrace.

The food surprised me with some new tasting sensations. A lot of spices that my tongue did not recognize straight away. The starters where great. My main course was turkey tajine with cinnamon and the vegetables of the day. Nice, but it didn't blew my mind.

Staff tends to forget to ask if you want a drink. Which is something that surprises me, since a lot of restaurants apparently don't seem to bother that they could make a profit on drinks by southing there customers in their beverage needs. We had to ask staff if we could order. That should be the other way around.

All in all a nice restaurant if you want something completely different. Watch your head if you're going to the toilet!

Reviewed 9 April 2017

The large detached building in the lovely Westerpark is full of character and has an amazing terrace with bamboo structures and lanterns which make for an inviting atmosphere.

It was not busy when we arrived early evening, and things started well as the waitress took our order and returned promptly with the drinks...

We ordered lentil soup and salad for starter and chicken tagine for main.

Some 40 mins later we still hadn't got the starter and so prompted the waitress twice as were super hungry. She said they were 'cooking the soup' and it should be on the way.

All this time the chefs were cooking what seemed like a massive chicken stirfry in a large pan on an outdoor wooden oven. It smelled amazing but we assumed it to be another dish on the menu as tagine is not made that way.

The starters came eventually and were reasonably tasty, though the soup was not hot hot and the salad didn't seem at all North African in flavour, more like a Russian beetroot salad than anything.

The portion was large thankfully as we had to wait another half hour until the main tagine came out.

At 20Euro a dish I was expecting something pretty special. The reality was that the chicken stirfry we had seen being made earlier has just been put in a tagine dish and chucked in the oven for 10 mins. It was not even really hot. The flavours were not North African in vibe... the chicken was bouncy and not melty like a tagine should be.

The so called tagine made me feel very bloated for the rest of the day and was generally forgettable in flavour.

I really wanted to like the food as the restaurant looks so perfect... what a shame the food could not match it.

Reviewed 13 March 2017 via mobile

It is now one of my favourite restaurants. Food was great and the atmosphere were even better. Highly recommend

Reviewed 21 January 2017

We had an amazing lunch at the restaurant -- if I describe it, it may sound a bit odd but it was super tasty -- grilled vegetables with a sauce, a nice sausauge (a bit like merguez but not so strongly spiced), a fish fillet, served with some very nice filled flat bread. Really delicious! The staff was very friendly; after having my food I was eying the chef prepping meat for dinner, and so he came to our table with a special complementary dish -- super tender grilled meats with an amazing tapenade-like sauce. The space is also very beautiful. We will defintely come back very soon (maybe tomorrow?)

Reviewed 16 November 2016

I was here in a party of 19 at the end of a big exhibition. The staff were great, the food was absolutely delicious. Spices were delicate and fragrant and this food felt life enhancing and nourishing as well. The house red is good, my colleagues liked the beers and we all enjoyed the hospitable atmosphere. The cook book also looks wonderful, even in flemish!