“Location, Location”

Ranked #335 of 365 Hotels in Amsterdam
London
“Location, Location”
Reviewed 16 February 2012

I read previous reviews on this hotel and I am happy I did not let them scare me about this hotel. I have been in this hotel, which I would rather call Hostel, with my partner for three nights. We booked a double with private bathroom, which was in the end a 4 bedrooms but it was ok with us as long as we did not have to share with other people.

The receptionist (was a very nice and polite girl) gave us few directions about how to move and the location of this hotel is absolutely amazing. Few minutes away from Leidseplein, where there are many restaurants and shops. We have been walking all the time as everything was really walking distance: Dam Square, Koningsplein, Vondel Park and Van Gogh museum. For a short stay of only three days it was really worthy to stay there.

THE ROOM: we havent seen any mouse, like stated in prevoious email. The room was actually cleaned on arrival and it was cleaned everyday. Although we requested for the room to do not be serviced, we were receiving fresh towels everyday. No soap is provided, but well we were not expecting anything else then a room and a shower. No wardrobe to store your clothes and the bed a bit uncomfortable, too soft, but overall it was fine.

I would definitely go back to this hostel/hotel. And I would reccomend it to family or friends.

Th

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Anna293

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ascot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2012

A group of 4 of us went to this hotel for 2 nights over NYE and booked before we had set off. We all knew booking at last minute and with a low star hotel what we had let ourselves in for. The hotel is as you would think, great location, bunk beds, reasonably helpful staff, Tiny Toilet, Leaky Shower & Stuffy room.

But we had a good time and its somewhere that if push came to shove we would stay there again.

We did find a few things that made us laugh about room 204. A piece of toast (non buttered) stuck to a side board and a TV in the top right of the room that had a wire hanging down but not plugged into anything, just to clarify the room didnt have any plug sockets in so the TV was kinda useless....

Good Trip!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Chepstow
Reviewed 28 December 2011

I did my normal trick, booked before reading the reviews.

I was horified at the reviews, so i will give you my normal honest account.

The staff were polite and helpful.

Well I stayed for 3 nights 24th to 27th December for a christmas break.
So here goes; stayed on the third floor in a two bed ensuite.
Firstly the 51 steps up there was a nightmare, very steep and narrow. The room was 10 feet by 10 feet and the bathroom was very tiny; shower, toilet, and very small wash hand basin (cold water only). the bathroom was so small I couldn't reach the basin without straddling the toilet! but it was clean. The room was clean also and serviced everyday with clean sheets and towels. No tea/coffe making facilities and no cups either. When I asked for on I was given a paper coca cola cup.

Also no bed bugs or mice in sight.

As for the stealing of personal goods, I did over hear somebody complaining at reception and asking for the police. I had taken the precaution of locking my suitcase after reading the reviews.

Now, wait for it!! on the last morning I went for my insulin injection and you won't believe it, six insulin pens had been taken from my medical bag. Luckily I had a pen in my jacket pocket to tie me over until I returned to the UK that evening.

To sum it up. Clean and livable in. If you have trouble with stairs in any way give it a miss. As for security, thats nil, as the accomodation is in a seperate building with the same key card to enter the building and your room. (Does that mean everybodys key opens all doors, never heard of a dual card before?)

By the way the twin beds was a bunk bed!!!

Location was good and transport was easy with the trams. Would I stay again? No! Would I recommend you to stay? No! Not even the price would tempt me, it was cheap for Amsterdam but definitely not worth it for quality or hassle.

I would have stayed in the Hotel where I stayed before had it been available. You can read my previous review of that one.

The breakfast was ok for 5 Euros, normal continental breakfast. But it did feel like like you were eating in a factory canteen.

The place probably doesn't merit the horrendous reviews it has had, I did see some other rooms, as the cleaning was going on, on the way past. My advice choose somewhere else, or you will get what you have paid for.

Regards
Bob

Room Tip: If you are thinking of a stag party etc then chose a ground floor room or you will break your neck o...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank ChepstowBob

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

London
Reviewed 21 December 2011

We arrived as a bunch of 8 guys for a stag holiday, so we booked out in advance the big room with 8 beds. However on the day of arriving there they were unable to give us this room, but after some complaining at the desk gave book us out for the 10 bed room, which was more than acceptable. The facilities where poor admittedly but considering how cheap they were offering i think it's more than acceptable for the price. As I said in the title, generally you'll get what you pay for, and this couldn't be more so true in the case of the Marnix Hotel. The 10 bed room is not clean when we arrived, but they sorted out that eventually plus the room was at a slight / tilt.

The location is really good, as it's literally outside the main square which was really good. If you're after a cheap bed to sleep in for the night, I think this hotel is right down your alley, but if asked whether i'm going back.

Room Tip: The Dorm Room have ONLY 1 flight of steps to climb, comparative to the endless staircases
  • Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ryan M
Singapore
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Probably the mice checked out when I checked in, haven't seen any.
The reception told me they got a professional exterminator to kick them out.

It's located in the center of Amsterdam, 200 meters from Leidse Square. Plus the staff was helpful telling me information what to do and where to go.

It's seems that the hotel is renovated, we had a total different experience than mentioned before by other guests!

Some people here write that the stairs are too steep - duh! It's Amsterdam! The building is 140 years old! Yes, the stairs are steep and if you don't like that, maybe find another town to visit... Just a thought.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends