“The place to stay in Amsterdam”

De L'Europe Amsterdam
Ranked #17 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
Lucerne, Switzerland
“The place to stay in Amsterdam”
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Centrally located, right on the canal/river, walkable to amost everything you want to see/do. Their facilities including terrace restaurant and spa are great. Concierge Marcel helped pre-trip so I could maximize my time when in Amsterdam. Thanks to Concierge Ave for helping when we were on site. We very much appreciated our Junior Suite. Staff is lovely; there is an easy, yet attended to feel. Thanks to the breakfast chef (for great spinach mushroom cheese omelette every morning) and to all the staff that make this great hotel run.
If I go again to the charming city of Amsterdam, I will return to De L'Europe.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank SaraLucerne

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2012

Working and living now in Netherlands just one hour from Amsterdam in Den Bosch has really only seen us a "day trippers" to the city...as especially when we have guests of our own. We decided to stay a night and enjoy the city for a full 24 hours.
After reading many reviews we chose De l'europe. It is in the heart of the city, only 100m from the floating flower market. We arrived before official "check-in". Our car was valet parked (extra charge) as there is no car park. (the hotel is surrounded by canals!) and luggage was taken care of until our room was ready (promised around 3) after we checked in. This was OK for us as we were dressed ready to hit the beautiful streets and canal-ways of the city! The hotel is very chic with a sumtous deep red/pink colour in the light, bright large comfortable lounge with a spectacular sparkling bar close to the bay window overlooking the canal.
We returned at 6 to be disappointed to hear that our room was still not quite ready ...some trouble with the linen for the bed! We were shown around our room which was a deluxe room with a large marble bathroom (slighly complicated lighting system) with huge walk in shower! There was a Nescio coffee maker and bose sound system for our ipods. It was very spacious. I was dissappointed with the view- a courtyard roof...and not the canals. I believe you need to pay an extra 200€ for that! The bed was done when we returned from our dinner in the West canal region and a cognac in the hotel bar.
Breakfast was in a light airy room. The usual fare....nothing special there. The service at the hotel was very friendly and helpful. We did hear a common excuse that 'the hotel was fully booked the night before and that is why rooms are not ready..., etc. ' too any times at reception. Was this supposed to make me feel special that we had picked a popular hotel and lucky to be there? To be honest...that should not be my problem. AT the time we were understanding but on thinking on this further, being full is a good thing for the hotel and they should be set up to deal with this and not inconvenience or make people aware of this for THEIR visit to the hotel as this is now OUR stay there and service should be set up for us (at over 300€ a night) and not the fact other people had enjoyed themselves there the night before. Overall I would recommend the hotel and go back. It is lovely and in a super location.

Room Tip: Check the view you expect o have ith the room you book...especially if you hope to have canal views.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nina S
ub
Reviewed 27 April 2012

The classic and elegant hotel in the heart of Amsterdam. The hotel is renovated in 2011. The room was spacious and the bathroom was superb with separate shower and bathtub.
The internet is free of charge and in the suite they had an iPad. The only shortcoming for me was lack of light in the bathroom for make_up and in the room there is no mirror for doing make-up. The staff is extremely nice. The breakfast did not have vast veriety: cold cuts, cereals, suasage and eggs, but I liked the fresh orange and grapefruit juices, they had.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I stayed here recently for one night only but I will return. This a classic hotel that has been renovated in the not-too-distant past. The room I was is was very large and comfortable with a large bed covered with crisp, clean linens. The bathroom was marble throughout but in-floor heating made it warm and comfortable.

Service was friendly and attentive. I only had breakfast there and I found the experience to be rather ordinary but my table bynthe window provided an exceptional view over the canal.

Overall, it was a fine experience and I would not hesitate to reccomend to anyone looking for a comfortable and clssic hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank High_seas_drifter
Garden City, New York
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Summary: relax in luxury, but with no stuffiness. The room is total comfort, the toiletries first class, the staff friendly and the brasserie superb. Take in a deep breath, exhale and enjoy.

Details:
1. this is a superb hotel
2. I arrived about noon and my room was not ready yet, so I was instantly upgraded to a junior suite, overlooking the courtyard, quiet, with a sitting area and the bedroom. A Samsung LCD TV in each area, the same brand I have at home.
3. the sitting room has an iPad with free internet, which is great since I am a veteran Mac user. There's also a safe, coffee/tea maker, & minibar.
4. the bedroom has luxury linens, the biggest pillows I have ever seen and a comfy king bed.
5. the bathroom is all marble with adjustable heated floor and big thick big towels, nice bathrobe and premium shampoo, soap, etc.
6. the dining options are several: I had late night in-room dining one night and it was delicious. The Brasserie, which overlooks the canal, is superb with very friendly wait staff and super value 35 euro prix-fixe 3 course menu. I was dining alone and had ongoing banter with the wait staff throughout the meal - it made the experience pleasant. The wine by the glass list is extensive and well-chosen, ranging from 5 to 11 euros. The bar is called Freddy's and has light food. Lastly, there is a gourmet restaurant, Bord-Eau.
7. when I was ready to print my airline boarding pass, I asked where the business center was [it was downstairs]. But the staff member I asked, named Titta [from Finland], said she would personally assist me with the printing and we proceeded to her desk and had a pleasant chat while doing the printing. That's the level of service here.

Summary: Is it expensive? yeah, but not outrageous. Is it total luxury? Yep. Is it worth it? I think it's a good value. I cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: a courtyard room provides total tranquility
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo