I found it quite difficult to get a good hotel for a reasonable price in Amsterdam and was very happy with my choice save for a few tiny quibbles.
De Lairessestraat is a quiet area but within walking distance of some excellent restaurants and bars. If you want to be in the heart of Amsterdam, this may not be for you but the city is so small that it is only a twenty minute walk to the main areas. It is right beside Museumplein and the Van Gogh Museum and the Concertgebau. To get into town take the 5 tram. Buy a ticket (7euro for 24 hours) at the hotel reception. Thanks to another tripadvisor we discovered the bus 197 from Schiphol to De Lairessestraat (the stop is Museumplein). And it cost just four euro! That compares to 15 euro for one of the airport shuttle buses.
This is a very clean, modern and simple three star hotel. It has an eco 'face lift' that marks it out from others. There are nice touches such as a wall made entirely of plants in the reception area.
The staff was the friendliest and most helpful I have come across in a long time. We encountered four members and each were excellent. We forgot to bring a european adaptor and the hotel staff obliged by lending one for free. We didn't have to pay a deposit.
Spotlessly clean. Very comfortable beds. Our room was advertised as a double but it was a twin when we arrived. Nice touch with the decor- instead of bedside tables there were two tree trunks and the light covers were bamboo. The shower was powerful. Two minor quibbles: the lights were much, much too dim and a light sleeper would be distracted by the noises from other rooms such as doors banging.
There is no restaurant here but a short walk away there are a few. I recommend the Bark- a seafood eaterie with the butterfish a good choice. Also there is a wee 'brown' pub behind the concertgebau called something like Wengel (?), which was lovely and cosy. A note on breakfast. It costs 13 euro if you pay that morning and 10 euro if you pay the night before. We opted to walk and scout out other places to eat instead. Bagel and Beanz is nearby and is much cheaper.
I would stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Conscious Hotel Museum Square is a new type of place to stay designed with today’s independent and discerning travellers in mind. The hotel has a beautiful, cutting edge, contemporary interior but also a sustainable operation designed to be kind to the planet. The choice of how ‘green’ guests want to be is completely up to them and there’s a playful side to the hotel that shows up in little eccentric details. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia APAC, Wotif.com, lastminute.com.au, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Conscious Hotel Museum Square reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Museum Square Amsterdam
- Amsterdam Museum Square Hotel
- Museum Square Hotel Amsterdam