3,099 results
All reviews free bar living room all inclusive concept all inclusive hotel cheese trolley pillow menu canal view lounge area every afternoon flower market wonderful hotel mini bar in the room home from home rembrandt square breakfast was excellent boutique hotel rain shower
Reviewed 23 May 2011

Of the places I have stayed in Amsterdam this is my favorite. I love that it's an "all inclusive" price - including high quality wireless internet connection. Breakfast was delicious (I love the omelets), the snacks in the lobby were just what I needed when I wanted a drink and a bite to eat. Even the minibar in the room is included. That of course means it is built into the price - but I like knowing what I am paying and not being charged for every little thing. I had a "deluxe canal view room" and it was on the smallish side - including the bathroom - which I expected given that it is a historic building. I think the modernization was nicely done. I was surprised by the comment below about worn furnishings and carpeting as everything I saw was lovely and new. Perhaps they are doing one room at a time and had not gotten to that room yet? In any event I loved my view, the sound blocking windows and the light blocking curtains. Good power outlets (often a problem in historic buildings but not in this one). Good selection of TV channels in English.

I found the front desk staff very helpful...even on my arrival day when they were short one person and very busy. Local residents who met me there for a meeting said they feel it is one of the best hotels in Amsterdam.
As others have pointed out the location is great. I love that this area of the canal is not a party zone so it's quiet enough to leave the windows open if you want, and quiet enough to sleep. It's very handy to the Tram. AND it's near the flower zone, and plenty of restaurants including Rembrandt Plaza. And walking distance to the museums and other areas of interest.
The staff helped me with booking a float and massage at Koan Float which is about 15 minute walk along the canal (highly recommend floating first and then the massage!). They helped me arrange a special dinner to take a group of people out. I bought tickets from them for me and a friend to go to the Van Gogh museum (a must-see fantastic museum) - and it saved us quite a long wait in line - we just arrived and went straight in. I also got a day pass for the transit system from the front desk. They helped me print boarding passes and one other document as well. I never found the slow elevator to be a problem. I just relax and go with it - it is a historic building and everything worked nicely as far as I could tell. My room was small - and the bed was probably a full or queen. If I had been there with my husband it might have felt too small... but since it was just me I spread out and was fine. Besides who wants to stay inside besides to sleep? This is such a spectacular city - I was out and about most of the time.

NOTE: If I was coming with my husband I would probably call ahead and confer with the front desk about room sizes as they are not all the same based on the person who said he had a huge bathroom (I did not!) And then I would spend extra if needed to get the larger room and bathroom.

When I wanted a break from my room I went downstairs and enjoyed the lobby (lovely selection of cold and hot drinks) which was really nicely decorated (looks like a real pro did the combination of colors and fabrics and shapes of chairs, tables and sculptures) or took a walk and savored the canal experience. Overall I loved the place and will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Talk with the hotel if you need a larger room
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 May 2011

Not the most inexpensive option, but worth it. Look for a deal here or on the hotel's web site. Located mid-way between, and easily walkable to, the historic center and to the museum district, close to the flower market and the hopping Rembrandtplein, and a 15 minute walk to the equally hopping Leidseplein and the restaurant district. Lovely and clever furniture, multiple languages on multiple HDTV channels, comfortable bed, and a huge bathroom with an extra-large tub (the Dutch are now the tallest people, on average, in the world). Only concern was some mold at the base of the shower stall. Sumptuous buffet breakfast (but watch out for the cut fruit, I'm afraid). Have the crepe-like pancakes,a Dutch specialty. In addition to breakfast, all-day coffee and drinks are included, and heavy hors d'oevres in late afternoon. The staff was great. I bought a large bouquet of tulips (so cheap at the flower market) to put in my room, and they gave me a large vase to put them in. I accidentally left my prescription sunglasses, but when I called in a panic a few hours later, they said, no worries, we've got them and will mail them to you in the US (for a fee). Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 May 2011

Stayed one week at this hotel and it was terrific. The location was perfect. The rooms were very comfortable with great beds and terrific bathrooms. The breakfast was great with a much larger choice than many hotels. The man who cooks was always very nice and food was prepared perfectly. Every staff member works very hard and is always pleasant even when they are being treated badly.
My room was on the side of the hotel with the busy street and trams. I never heard any noise when the window was closed.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 May 2011

After six nights at Banks Mansion I have to say it’s a split decision. I’ve just read a number of the good reviews here on TripAdvisor and agree with much of it. That said, I read most of the below average reviews and agree with almost all of them.

First, not trying to be mean but this is not by any stretch of the imagination a four star hotel. The size of the rooms alone make it three star tops. Don’t be overly swayed by “free” drinks and minibar. They’re included in the room price and the room price is slightly high for what they offer.

The positive: A very good location. Decent restaurants nearby. Walking distance to almost everything, minibar items, wine and liquor is included in the room cost, most of the staff is very very nice and helpful, OK beds and bedding, news available on the TV in several languages, free computer use if needed, complimentary map of Amsterdam, light blocking curtains and sound-reducing windows. A reasonable offering of breakfast items. Plenty of hot water. Safe in the room. Comfy lobby with ample seating, magazines and newspapers. All in all, OK.

The negative: Small rooms (even for Europe) and I really know what I’m talking about after nearly four decades of travel. The carpets and furniture show considerable wear. It has only one very slow elevator and filthy stairwells as an alternative - an issue at a totally full hotel. A tiny wardrobe closet with three hangars provided. Two shelves to unpack clothes. Barely room for a couple to store two suitcases and still move in the room. "Room Service" is practically non-existent. They serve three things. The lighting in the rooms is poor unless it’s daylight and the curtains are open. OK, so you get free wine and liquor – but we don't drink hard liquor and who wants to drink from open heaven knows-what-bottles of liquor in your room? The wine offered downstairs is free but very cheap quality. Our room was never properly cleaned. Not vacuumed once that we could see. My husband had to ask that it be dusted on the fifth day. I wrote my name in the dust on the desk! Likewise the bathroom sink was cleaned but never the floor. I left something on the bathroom floor to monitor if it would be cleaned up and as each day passed, dirtier and dirtier – the halls as well. I'm sorry to be critical but this is true.

The VERY negative: Be careful! Their booking policy as was experienced by a friend there at the same time who came from another city to meet us. She booked four nights at their “best buy” price (a 20 euro per night reduction for paying in advance) but had to change her plans before coming. No changes they said. Once there, it was obvious that they could rent the room for the two nights she wouldn’t be there. We all spoke with ***, one of the managers who was hostile and rude. It seemed to be a simple request: charge for the two nights she would be there with the 20 euro discount per night re-added to the room charges and then rent the other nights to someone else – hotel loses nothing. Still, the very nasty "duty manager" said no. She charged my friend for all four nights and rented the room again to others the last two nights. Double profit for Banks Mansion. I was surprised by their outright greed and unwillingness to be accommodating when they would suffer no loss at all. There is just no need for this. We would have understood no deals if they could not rent the rooms - but they did!

Room Tip: make sure you understand what you are booking
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Susan10536
Reviewed 17 May 2011

This was our 2nd stay at the Banks mansion our last was for our 5th wedding anniversary 2 years ago so another anniversary stay to coincide with Queens Day was always on the cards. We booked a canal view room again and we were allocated at corner view on 3rd floor, this room was larger than the room allocated on our last visit, it was clean bright and well maintained. We arrived at 9am on 29th April and were immediately given access to our room by the friendly and efficient reception staff, we were then allowed to have breakfast as it finishes at 1030 (11am on Sunday). You are given an excellent cooked breakfast which is another reason we returned here.

The minibar was reasonably stocked and replenished daily, as were the drinks decanters. The lounge at reception is like a living room it has a well stocked beer fridge although only Beck's, which was ok and a disgusting concoction called Hoegaarden Blond on offer, honestly it's like drinking partially diluted scouring powder, actually thats doing Ajax or Vim a disservice this stuff is that vile. An abundance of various wines, spirits and soft drinks is also available so no complaints from me apart from that rotten beer. Nibbles and cheese boards are occasionally offered as well.

Another bonus is the 2 desktop PC's in the lounge giving free internet and printer services.

Queens Day was brilliant yet again, its one giant carnival with everyone dressed in orange. The streets and canl sides were packed by 2pm as 800,000 visitors walked into the centre. Its a long day but the weather was good and it's great watching the various boats on the canals, some bedecked in variety of colours and others simply for partying, it's nigh on impossible to get on a party boat though. We were better prepared this time and made sure we had orange tops etc this time, although the hotel did give you a T shirt as well.

On 1st May we had our anniversary meal at the Saturnino Italian restaurant just around the corner from the hotel, its turn right as you leave the hotel, cross the road and turn immediately left at the travel agent/KLM office. The restaurant is about 300 yards along this street on the right. We can confirm that it's good reviews on Tripadvisor are well deserved.

The hotel is mostly used by US, Canada and UK guests so English is widely spoken and everyone is very friendly, we met some very nice people.

Just like previous reviewer MJBNY, whom I believe we had the pleasure of meeting, we would not consider anywhere else for a return to this lovely city.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple