3,769 results
All reviews the club lounge central station great location guest services concierge desk within walking distance minute walk dam square river cruise red light district room rate anne frank house very nice hotel early check quiet street mini bar breakfast was included
Reviewed 1 November 2015

This hotel located 15 mins away from the Central Station by foot, 10 mins away from the main shopping area, 20mins away from the red light district. It is very convenience.

There are many rooms in the short building. So be prepared to walk very far from building to building and even take few elevators before reaching your room.

The room is very spacious with business design.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 November 2015

What are the other reviewers thinking? This place is overpriced and overrated.

The lobby is, at best, sterile (that means devoid of any character whatsoever). The desk clerk was, however, pleasant.

As a Marriott gold I was presumably given an "upgraded" room. If so, then the standard room is of little more than Motel 6 fitted because my room was nothing special.

The exec lounge was a disgrace. The food was the cheapest crap I've ever seen displayed in a Marriott or Renaissance exec lounge. Heck, it's been a week and I'm still mad. They didn't even bother to unlock the beer cooler until about 6PM, rather they forced the guests to drink Jupiter draft (a really cheap Dutch beer) instead.

To top it off, they missed our wake-up call. This CANNOT happen in a $300/night hotel. On check out the clerk nonchalantly said "sorry" and asked if the bill was right. What bill? "The 1 slipped under the door". No bill was slipped under the door, so I assume some other guest was given my particulars. Given the lack of professionalism displayed by virtually every member of the staff I encountered I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

FYI - I have never contacted Marriott with a complaint about one of their facilities but I will this time.

Also, hotel management, please don't bother to comment with the ubiquitous, "We're sorry we didn't live up to your standards. Please try us again...blah, blah, blah".

Why would I waste my time or money? You don't deserve it.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
4  Thank fcfrag
RenaissanceTeam, Manager at Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2015

Dear fcfrag,

As a Marriott gold member we value your loyality to our company and are deeply sorry to read that your stay was not at all according to your expectation. We would appreciate your time to get in touch with us in person so that we can further look into your points of concern and solve these unpleasant issues. We look forward to receive your mail to renaissance.amsterdam@renaissancehotels.com.
Sincerely yours,
Joerg Kroeter
Director of Operations

Reviewed 1 November 2015

This was our second stay at the Renaissance and it was not as enjoyable as our first. I should mention that we stayed here using Marriott points. Traveling almost weekly for business, my husband chooses Marriott - he could choose otherwise. We stayed just three nights this time, using something like 120,000 points. The room we were given was *almost* big enough for two people and their luggage, however it was spotlessly clean. Maybe that explains why housekeeping knocked on our door at 8:15am asking to clean. The Club Lounge was lovely and the staff there was friendly and professional. We took advantage of the breakfast there which had a nice variety of choices. You can't beat the location of this hotel, an easy walk to Centraal Station as well as the historic center for shopping,dining, and sightseeing. Just don't expect any top notch service. We're not people who need much when we travel, and very rarely make any special requests (we certainly didn't this time) but when you can't even get a "good morning" out of lobby staff, or decent service at the front desk, you do start to question the loyalty that earned all those points used for the stay. We'd spent a week in Paris prior to arriving in Amsterdam, also using points to stay at the Paris Marriott Opera Ambassador - WOW! Incredible stay there; really courteous and thoughtful staff. At the Renaissance I don't think we ever even saw the doorman at the door...well, until the morning of our departure when we were rolling our suitcases out and perhaps he saw a tip in his future? Pros: great location, clean rooms Cons: less than helpful lobby staff, shoebox sized room

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple

Dear luckyduck63,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are very sorry to learn that your second stay at our property was not as enjoyable as your first, except that your room was spotlessly clean and you liked our Club Lounge facilities and the friendly service there.
We apologize for all inconveniences you encountered. The further services you described do not reflect our normal high standard of operations. We invite you to send us an e-mail to renaissance.amsterdam@renaissancehotels.com so that we will have a chance to further investigate what went wrong and to get back to you in person.
We thank you for your time and remain,
with best regards,
Joerg Kroeter
Director of Operations

Reviewed 31 October 2015

Stayed at the Renaissance for two nights and there's a lot to like. Rooms are really spacious and the location is walking distance from the train station. The central location makes for a great starting point for exploring the city. Great breakfast too. My only complaint is the noise from the hallways - you can hear everything going on outside the door and that's unfortunate when attempting to overcome jet lag. But hotels can be expensive in Amsterdam, and the Renaissance gives you so much for the price. Just pack a pair of earplugs and it's all good.

Stayed: October 2015
Reviewed 30 October 2015

This is our second visit to this hotel & yet again it didn't disappoint. The receptionist was friendly & very helpful. She gave us a map & spent time pointing out places to visit etc. The navigation staff were friendly, quick & efficient.

We had a family room which was spacious & clean. We visited the bar during our stay & the barman was great. The Lizzie is now my favourite cocktail. We also tried the toasties in the bar & these are probably the best toasties we have ever had.

The location of the hotel is perfect - 10 mins from the railway station & within easy walking distance of many Amsterdam attractions. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled with family