“good to find usual high standard at Renaissance Amsterdam”

Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel
Ranked #88 of 365 Hotels in Amsterdam
Savona, Italy
“good to find usual high standard at Renaissance Amsterdam”
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Good size rooms, nice and cozy lounge with warm service. definitely a nice place to stay.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (530)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 25 January 2012

I read so many reviews about other hotels in Amsterdam and was concerned about the bulk of them. You can find complaints of broken plumbing, deceptive front desk people trying to pocket additional money, dirty rooms, rude staff, etc. I didn't want to take chances so I booked at Renaissance.

My wife and I love the Renaissance Madison in Seattle, WA so I decided to book a room at a property I would be familiar with. I had been staying at some less than adequate hotels in France on this trip and I wanted to splurge a little for my two days here and was very pleased. It isn't quite as nice as the Madison in Seattle, but still very much a Renaissance property despite other reviews. I travel a lot and some people don't realize the "star" scale changes quite a bit depending on your location. For instance, a four star property in Manhattan is going to be very different than a four star property in San Pedro, Belize. In this case, I thought that the photos online did not do it justice. It was much more beautiful than what the pictures portrayed.

Rooms were rather large and our bed was very comfortable. We slept well both nights on a down comforter and fluffy pillows. The hotel has a small work out room that my wife loved. Location is excellent, although I think Amsterdam Centraal has no bad locations as the town is pretty much centralized. There are many places to eat and I asked for recommendations from several staff members and they were all spot on. I never ate at the hotel because I wanted to get out and check out the city instead of stay in the hotel.

Very good staff at this hotel. The concierge(s) were the best I have ever encountered. I casually mentioned upon check-in that the airline had lost my baggage and that they may be delivering it to the hotel. They literally took over that whole situation eagerly and assured me I wouldn't have to do a thing. Their help following up with the airline with constant update calls was great. They even got me money from the airline to spend on toiletries and some extra clothes. I was without my bag for almost two entire days, but their help made it so I could enjoy my holiday and not worry about the lost bag knowing someone was taking care of it.

Next time I am in Amsterdam I will stay here. The friendly staff, cleanliness of the hotel and beautiful rooms make this hotel for me.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank HanSolo3101
Mechanicsville, Virginia
Reviewed 20 January 2012

We spent nine days in The Netherlands this spring, six of which were at this hotel. It is an excellent property. Service excellent...lovely rooms....great location. Of course you are one block from a brothel but in most cases you are close to one anyway. The Palace (recently renovated) and lots of restaurants are within walking distance as well. Breakfast buffet was about $40.00 per person...truly sticker shock for us. Very friendly staff.

Room Tip: Request a quiet room.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VaGal2005
Los Altos, California
Reviewed 20 January 2012

I have stayed here the last three times I visited for business. The location is fantastic! Just a five minute walk to the train station. It is close to shopping and most of the tourist attractions. The rooms are comfortable and staff were very courteous and helpful. Their breakfast buffet is very good though expensive and they have a free espresso and latte machine for those who don't want to eat.Only negative is that they charge for Internet access unless you have a Marriott Gold guest status.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Modern entrance friendly reception staff. Well decorated and comfortable bedrooms. Close to station and tram stops well priced bar snacks, mini burgers a tasty option. There was a large breakfast buffet but expensive. I will stay again

• Stayed February 2011