“Extremely disappointed ”

Price range: USD 5 - USD 15
Cuisines: African
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighbourhood: De Pijp
Description: Specialising in East African cuisine, Restaurant Azmarino is set in the Pijp district of Amsterdam, near to Sarphatipark and the famous Albert Cuyp market. Dishes at this Amsterdam restaurant are based largely on Ethiopian and Eritrean cuisine, with meat dishes of differing strengths of flavour featuring heavily. All are served with vegetables and 'enjera', a typical sourdough pancake. Here, you also eat the traditional way - with only your hands. Also typical of East Africa is the beer, served in a gourd. Arguably one of the more unusual restaurants in Amsterdam, Restaurant Azmarino offers a little taste of Africa in the heart of the city.
Reviewed 12 September 2016 via mobile

Disappointing food, terrible service from the waitress. As there was no other diners in the restaurant all we could hear was the microwave door opening and closing and the ding when it was finished. I was asked if I wanted my food spicy and as I love spicy food I said of course. The food was bland, the presentation was worse and I sat with an empty wine glass for 30 minutes and the waitress didn't even ask would I like another drink.

Reviewed 7 September 2016 via mobile

We were 1st in the restaurant at 5p.m.
We chose to eat here as we had an apartment rented nearby.
The waiter was probably the owner who was also the chef, as he served our drinks he popped into the kitchen and the results were a sliver platter with 4 blobs of poorly flavoured minced meat, although we expected braised lamb. One solo chicken wing was in one of the microwave piles of muck.
Don't believe me, go in yourself and sit at the back and watch, all microwaved.
I told the waitress when she asked how my food that it was microwaved and she said, this is how African food is!

Good Luck

Reviewed 29 April 2016 via mobile

Very tasty and unusual food. We enjoyed every bite! Exiting flavors of beers! We really loved this place!

Reviewed 7 April 2016

I really like eating at places where the owner is closely involved with the business, and that is one thing I definitely liked about this place.

Tbh I wasn't very sure about eating African cuisine in Europe :) The food here however has changed my mind, I found the pancakes soft and fluffy, the preparations of meats quite different to what I had on my mind. Yes, everything you order for your table comes on 1 plate - see the pictures for reference, and Yes you need to tear bits of the pancake and scoop food with that and eat with your hands. Not the end of the world though :)

We ordered a spicy chicken and lamb dish between me and my husband. Visually, the dish looked a bit of hotch-potch, to the extent we weren't sure which was which ! Although the portions of meat were quite small, there was some extra islands of pureed potatoes, pureed chickpeas along with islands of mini salads.

I did like the taste, and even though it may resemble some indian dishes ( south indian - dosa), the taste and spices were very different. My one gripe would be that all the preparations were too similar in consistency - like everything felt pureed or finely minced, and that way I was missing a good crunch which I quite like in my food. May be its just me :)

Other than that I did like the food, and am glad I tried this while in Amsterdam!

Reviewed 17 January 2016 via mobile

Lekker afrikaans eten in een über Hollandse setting.

Not suitable for tourists as the people only speak Dutch.

selassie h, Owner at Azmarino, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2016

Dear Carollien, Thank you for your comment.But we (azmarino) speak more languages than dutch.That is why we have also customers all from the world! if you mean some thing else even we are open to hear from you !!Thank you again.