“Afrika in de pijp”

Price range: USD 5 - USD 16
Cuisines: African
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighbourhood: De Pijp
Description: Specialising in East African cuisine, Restaurant Azmarino is set in the Pijp district of Amsterdam, near to Sarphatipark and the famous Albert Cuyp market. Dishes at this Amsterdam restaurant are based largely on Ethiopian and Eritrean cuisine, with meat dishes of differing strengths of flavour featuring heavily. All are served with vegetables and 'enjera', a typical sourdough pancake. Here, you also eat the traditional way - with only your hands. Also typical of East Africa is the beer, served in a gourd. Arguably one of the more unusual restaurants in Amsterdam, Restaurant Azmarino offers a little taste of Africa in the heart of the city.
Reviewed 17 January 2016 via mobile

Lekker afrikaans eten in een über Hollandse setting.

Not suitable for tourists as the people only speak Dutch.

selassie h, Owner at Azmarino, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2016

Dear Carollien, Thank you for your comment.But we (azmarino) speak more languages than dutch.That is why we have also customers all from the world! if you mean some thing else even we are open to hear from you !!Thank you again.

Reviewed 2 January 2016

On my last night in Amsterdam I decided to wander a little bit away from the central area where I had spent the rest of my time. When I started to feel hungry I searched online for nearby places to eat and this one had a high rating. I had tried Ethiopian on a couple of other occasions and decided it would be a nice change from European food. I ordered the national dish (Keywot), which was really tasty and the Injera was not too sour. There were a number of unique beers on offer, and I decided to try a coconut one. It came served in a bowl/cup made out of a hollowed out calabash, which was really cool and added another level to the cultural experience. Plus the beer was pretty good, if a little strange.

Reviewed 16 December 2015

On entering the restaurant, it was completely empty but a few minutes after another group came in to dine. The waitress was extremely helpful an friendly an asked if we wanted any help with the menu, it was the first time I had ever tried african food so I took some advice. The coconut beer was lovely an was served with a coconut shaped cup which I thought was very good.

My friend and I decided on different combos (can't remember the name of them now) I was wondering where the cuttlery an napkins were which I later found out were not part of the service. All that was provided was pancakes which you use to scoop the food up with your fingers an eat?

One plate came out which was a combo of both of what we ordered and TBH, I couldnt tell what was the beef an was the chicken until I put a handful of what I thought was beef in my mouth an almost choked on a chicken bone. The spinach part was really nice an although I ate the rest because I never waste food an was starving, I was less than impressed with what was rated the best restaurant in Amsterdam. I had a pizza after from a takeaway which cost a quarter of the price an was much tastier.

Glad I tried it as I will try everything once but will not be trying this restaurant or African food again.

Reviewed 5 December 2015 via mobile

Delicious food! Spicy, tasty and well cooked - just go there and taste the Mongozo beer - it tastes at bit like cider! The chicken and beef stew was perfect

Reviewed 18 November 2015

Really enjoyed our visit to Azmarino, which we went to as the result of trip advisor reviews. The co-owner/front of house person was really helpful in recommending which dishes to try and it was really good fun having all the food on one platter - and thankfully the vegetarian dishes were not touched by the meat - and eating with the "pancakes". A couple of us gave in when we wanted to eat more of the food but had eaten our fill of pancakes and were willingly given forks. It was great having the chef's recommended choice of several small portions of different dishes. The food was good and appetising and the experience was really good fun. Well worth a visit.