“Great rooms”

Apollo Hotel Amsterdam
Ranked #110 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 4 June 2012

This hotel is slightly outside Amsterdsam Central per se, but it is still very convienent, as there are tram stops very near by. The conceirge in the hotel was more than happy to give us directions and walk us there when we requested. But then again, that wasn't peak tourist season.

The room in my case was exceptionally large and spacious. The bed was huge, and it was just a double room with a single bed. The views fom the hotel in winter is exceptional, espeacially at the bar and the restaurant where breakfirst is served. The only problem was the bathroom door lock in the room refuses to be accessible, but that is probably one off.

The breakfirst was also good for 2 days.

Room Tip: You can change the room if it is exposed to sunlight etc. Being an European hotel, the rooms vary in...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
ApolloAmsterdam, Manager at Apollo Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2012

Dear Sir,Madam,

Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam would like to thank you very much for taking the time to remark on your stay.

I am pleased to hear that you have enjoyed the location with the beautiful views. I would like to apologize for the problem with the door lock with the bathroom door lock; at all time you can ask the reception, they are happy to help you!

Thank you for leaving your comment, reviews as these encourage us on continuously improving our service.

There are newer reviews for Apollo Hotel Amsterdam

Reviewed 1 June 2012

This was a very quiet neighborhood with wonderful rooms. Only problem is you need a taxi everywhere you go. Or take a bike which you can rent there.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
ApolloAmsterdam, Manager at Apollo Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2012

Dear Sir,Madam,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at the Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam.
I am happy to hear that you have enjoyed your overall stay!

Reviewed 28 May 2012

Welcoming staff.rooms With views over the canals of Amsterdam. Nice location and perfect place to discover Amsterdam.

• Stayed: April 2012

Dear Sir, Madam,

I am pleased to hear that the hotel staff was friendly and that you have enjoyed the location at the canals.

Reviewed 23 May 2012

Stayed here for a Show at RAI. Very convenient, about a 10 minute walk. Also walkable to museum area and a few blocks to tram 5 and the center city. Front desk is helpful, friendly, and polite. Restaurant is a little indifferent; like they were trained by a different company.

I screwed up on check-in and can never figure out which countries count the first floor as zero. Thought my key was bad. Front desk personnel hand carried my luggage back up and made sure all was OK. Refused a tip! (Dorothy, we're not in Kansas anymore). Everyone speaks English as if it were their first language, oddly with seemingly more of an American than British dialect.

Decor scheme is "what can we do with a bad-looking 1950s (on the outside) 40+ year old hotel and make it hip, fashionable, and euro-traditional at the same time. So you get a little of it all from a decor scheme. To be fair, its really all fine and some is very nice inside.

Breakfast is very steep at 22.50E for a typical spread, nothing special. Internet is 7.50 per day, not too bad and worked fine.

Beautiful view overlooking the canals. Upgraded to a small suite; I sense the regular rooms are a bit tight, but this was fine. Of the RAI area hotels, this was a value when I booked. I think I did very well.

Room Tip: Overlooking canal is nice.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
ApolloAmsterdam, Manager at Apollo Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2012

Dear Sir,Madam,

I am pleased to hear that the service of the hotel staff was good and that you have enjoyed your overall stay. Thank you for leaving your comment about the staff in the restaurant, could you let me know what you mean with ‘trained by a different company’?

And in responding to the hotel decor scheme, we are currently in a renovation process which means that all rooms will be renovated to make everything look like the same style. Also I would like to point out the additional costs for Internet, we offer free Wi-Fi for Wyndham members which you can ask for at the reception. Membership of Wyndham by Request is free of charge.

Reviewed 23 May 2012

The hotel is situated a little bit south of Amsterdam centre, but trams or a rental bicycle will easily take you into the centre in no time.
The hotel itself is a mixture of business and tourist hotel, and the surroundings are very quiet. It's also nice to sit in the bar, watching one of the many canals around.
The staff is really nice, and mostly very attentive. The hotel is clean, and the rooms are of standard size, and just what you need for a long-weekend in lovely Amsterdam.
The room rate for the week-end was around what you expect for a hotel of this standard in a city like AMS. What makes me slightly disappointed are that you have to pay extra for absolutely everything. It seems a little petty, to charge customers for Wi-Fi connection these days, when even most hotels in "tax-loving" Norway gives you that for free. Another thing is the price for the breakfast. Special rate was 16 Euros pr. person pr. night. Standard rate is 22 Euros.
The breakfast was good, but I’m not sure it’s worth this kind of money. You can go out, and walk for 5 minutes to a nearby café, and they'll charge you 8 euros for 2 big sandwiches and coffee. The only reason why we chose to have the breakfast at the hotel was that we prefer to be able to go up to the room to brush our teeth etc. after eating. So for that you pay a price.
Having visited several hotels with lower standard than this, both inside and outside Europe, with both Wi-Fi and breakfast included in the price, I found that having to pay extra for this, makes the hotel, or at least the Wyndham chain look a bit “greedy”. I know that they also need to earn money, but how come other hotels around the world can manage? We also experienced bus-loads of tourists on the Saturday and Sunday which brought the logistics to a collapse during breakfast, as they all came in at the same time. But that's something they have to expect. They could have foreseen this by looking at the bookings in advance, and prepared for this scenario. The poor guys and girls working there did their best, but they were not properly staffed for this amount of people. As long as they accept the number of guests to the hotel, they should prepare for this kind of things to happen. We told the reception afterwards, and they agreed totally, and made no excuses, which for us proved matureness, and insight. They offered us to give us the two breakfasts for free, and that's professional. The staff and the hotel itself are very good, but why not add another 10-15 Euros to the room-price, and let the breakfast and Wi-Fi be complementary? I will however recommend the hotel for a nice week-end in a beautiful town. After all the breakfast and Wi-Fi are voluntarily.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Raviolies

Dear Sir,Madam,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam.
I am pleased to hear that you have enjoyed the location and that you had a good overall stay. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused with the touring busses during breakfast. I will take this as a serious point for improvement and I will make sure this won’t happen again.

I would like to point out that we offer free Wi-Fi for Wyndham members which you can ask for at the reception. Membership of Wyndham by Request is free of charge.

Thank you for leaving you comment and for giving your advice about to make the breakfast and Wi-Fi complementary, reviews as these encourage us on continuously improving our service.