“Great location, very comfortable, good food.”

France Hotel Amsterdam
Ranked #233 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 20 August 2017

I stayed here in my 20's on a solo trip to Europe in 2001. I chose it because it was a bargain, and located within easy walking distance of Amsterdam Central. It's the only hotel from my trip that I still remember 16 years later. Friendly staff, clean and comfortable room, and the location was hard to beat. I'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo

Reviewed 18 August 2017 via mobile

Really enjoyed our visit to the France Hotel in Amsterdam which we stayed at for 3 nights/4 days. The staff were very friendly and helpful as well as speaking excellent English. The hotel itself was very pleasant, clean and tidy. It's located right in the heart of Amsterdam being within walking distance of everywhere. Me and my friend didn't even have to use public transport at all. It was located minutes from China town, 5 minutes from the red light district, 10 minutes from Dam Square, 20 minutes from the Anne Frank Museum and the most we walked was around 30 minutes which was to get to the museum quarter where the Iamsterdam sign is located and the ICEBAR was a good walk to but not to far also. The hotel was in a small canal side street in the main town which was always extremely busy but we could never hear any noise from our hotel room even with the window open, it was great. Lots of shops and restaurants around and a lovely Irish bar next door which is where you have your hotel breakfast. Lots of variety for breakfast. This included cereal, toast, fruit, cold meats, scrambled egg, bacon, boiled eggs, bread rolls, tea, coffee and juices etc. Would definitely return, it's a great stay especially if you want to explore most of Amsterdam. Only up the road from the train station too which goes to the airport. My only issue was that the free wifi didn't work for me and my friend, kept being unavailable and not letting us connect. Overall very happy with our stay!

Stayed: August 2017
Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

Great hotel we stayed in for 3 nights. Room was clean and suitable for our stay. Bed extremely comfortable and room comes with aircon. If you opt for breakfast included this is served and the Irish Pub next door which was an added bonus. Located in the heart of loads of restaurants and bars and a few minute walk from the train station

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 August 2017 via mobile

This was a last minute deal so my expectations were low. I had a front room on the first floor so v noisy with the windows open at night. But the bed was comfortable and the room clean and functional. I loved the plastic rocking chair. One annoyance was having a bath but with no plug or bath taps. Note breakfast is served in the Irish bar next door - more European breakfast than full English.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 July 2017

I stayed at the France Hotel for 3 nights at the end of June, 2017 and couldn’t be more pleased with my stay. The hotel was very centrally located in the center of Amsterdam just a short walk from Central station where trains (supposedly) run to and from the airport and to other cities in Europe. Central Station is also where you can get a tram or canal boat to just about anywhere in the city. The hotel is located on a small, quiet side street next to a small canal with a wonderful view. However, it is also only about 100 feet from many small streets and alleyways with plenty of lively restaurants, bars, coffee shops, and shops. You are also within easy walking distance of Dam Square and the Red Light District. You really couldn’t ask to be in a much better location in central Amsterdam

I was a solo traveler and had a very small, basic room with a single bed that was clean and comfortable for one person. I wouldn’t want to spend a week in that room as it wasn’t much bigger than a walk in closet, but I really only used the room to sleep in so it was fine for a few days and I got it for a fair price. I even had a window that looked down into a small courtyard. The bathroom could have used a little work, but it was clean and adequate for my needs. I had plenty of hot water for a shower and perhaps more importantly the AC in the room worked very well. Amsterdam was having a heat wave when I was there. The hallways could have been better lit, and showed a little wear, and the single elevator was a little slow, but acceptable from a 3 star hotel in Amsterdam.

A buffet breakfast is served to hotel guests in Molly Malone’s the nice Irish Pub located right next door to the hotel. Molly Malone’s was also a great place to stop for a pint after a day of sightseeing or for more than few pints in the evening. Breakfast items included, bacon or sausage and eggs, assorted meats and cheeses, cereal, fruit, and breads. Dinner at Molly Malone’s is pretty good too, and hotel guest get a 10% discount off food purchases. Tip for solo travelers Molly Malone’s will let you eat at the bar, something that is not a wide spread custom in Europe like it is in the US.

I found the hotel staff very helpful and informative with directions and recommendations on getting around the city. There were no direct trains running between the airport and Central station due to construction when I arrived in Amsterdam, and the desk clerk kept an eye on the situation and arranged a cab to the airport when he learned that the trains still would not be running when I checked out. The front desk was also able to purchase tickets for a canal boat tour and a ticket to the Rijsmusem for me. The hotel and Molly Malone's had free wifi that was reliable and had decent download speed.

The France Hotel is a small, cozy 3 star European hotel which ideally means affordable, basic and clean accommodations with no thrills such as a pool or room service, and the France Hotel fit the bill perfectly. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo