“Great location, Great Break fast and an amazing helpful receptionist.”
Review of Vita Nova

Vita Nova
Ranked #148 of 338 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 February 2016

My Wife and myself stayed here on the 29th Jan for 2 nights, Having worked all day and caught a flight and eventually arriving in the rain the receptionist / owner was so very welcoming and helpful. She showed us round the breakfast Area ( included in the price) to our room. Now it is a room on a barge so don't expect anything large. I could touch both walls with my arms stretched. single cabin beds were really nice. i has a sliding window looking over the water. there is a slight rock of the boat in high winds but this just makes the sleep more original. Great value hotel in a great location, highly recommend and will defiantly stay next time i'm in amdam

Room Tip: Room 18 is nice
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SurfersideB

Reviewed 27 December 2015 via mobile

Went in June 2014. Great location. Brad was awesome, friendly and knowledgable. Rooms were tight, but perfect for a place to crash. Beautiful view from the deck. Would recommend, for younger travelers. Brad made it worth while.
John and Brendan, June 2014.

Stayed: January 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank John D
Reviewed 14 December 2015

The worst place I've ever stayed at and I mean it.

1. The hostess is plain rude and clearly unhappy to see her customers. A year ago I had a chance to stay at other boat called "Gandalf" and it was pure pleasure to be there. The ship's owner was always glad to answer a question and help with something. The hostess of "Vita Nova" was probably too busy being irritated to answer one single question nicely. Once I asked her if I could reach the main station with a bus from there and the answer was "Why should I know?!" And - oh yes - she loves rules. When we (my wife and me) first came to the boat we got our pockets full of "don't do this" and "don't do that".

2. The cabin was not even small, but tiny. There was no way 2 people could fit into this birdhouse. There's only one thing you could do in that cabin - lie on the bed and think about your claustrophobia. That's it. There was no table (it wouldn't fit in there), but we had a closet with... an old and dusty gas mask. Ni-i-ice. Of course we tried to avoid being on the ship as much as we could, but the weather was rather cold so sometimes we just had to return and it was a nightmare.

3. Loud, loud, very loud all the time. I could hear the people from all around the ship and sometimes even understand what they talked about. The walls were probably made of cardboard.

4. One toilet for all the floor... Awesome if you like to stress-test yourself.

5. WiFi was... No, sorry, it wasn't. There was no WiFi. The hostess told me it was weak, but it was rather absent.

6. The hair drier was mentioned in the room description, but later I found out there was only one for all the ship guests :) Be quick or be wet...

7. Breakfast was the only thing I couldn't complain about. It was simply ok, but you have to pay extra for the boiling water for tea! I just loved it! 1 EUR for the boiling water :))) Can you believe it?? I couldn't, that's why I asked twice :))

So... NO. I'd recommend to stay at "Vita Nova" only if all the other ships (including the military ones) are 100% packed. If you can find another place - go for it.

Room Tip: as far from the staircase as possible
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
5  Thank AlbertBuchatskyy
Reviewed 1 December 2015

10-15 minutes walk from the Centraal Station which was nice and convenient after my flight. However, after taking 2 steps inside the hostel, we were immediately yelled at by the owner for trying to bring our luggage with us into the check in area (this is a normal action and there was nothing telling us not to bring our luggage with us in the reception). Not a great first start!

Other than that, hotel was as expected. Bunk bed style room with very little space, but I wasn't planning on spending long there. Bathrooms were clean. Breakfast was included (8-10am) and had plenty of options for all (boiled eggs, bread, meat, cheese, cereal, coffee, tea, jam, etc). However, wifi was terrible and effectively didn't work. Also, it was fairly noisy if someone came back drunk at 3am. You can hear a lot through the thin walls. Overall, what I expected but service / friendliness should be improved.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled with friends
3  Thank travel10293847
Reviewed 9 November 2015

short walk to central station and red light district,room very small and bunk bed type,shared toilet but clean.theres a roof deck you can unwind,noisy,u can hear everything from outside door,owner smoke in the dining area which is a big downfall(could have at least smoke outside, i find it disgusting)allows you to leave your luggage after u checked out.poor wi fi..i supposed its what u paid for!..i would have rate it higher if the lady owner and husband did not smoke in the dining area. rein(sounds like it) very helpful.

Room Tip: easy access to red light district shopping,train,different expeience
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple