All reviewsnemo museumchoc spreadrooms are smallwalls are thinbasic hostellay your headcentral stationyogurtwalking distanceamsterdam centraalcity centrecabinsinkbunktrain
Reviewed 1 September 2012

The Vita Nova is ideal for tourists in their late teens/twenties who want to be able to explore the wonders of Amsterdam for a great price. It is fairly central, being only 10 mins walk from Centraal Station and the well-priced eateries of Zeedijk, and even Vondelpark at the very edge of the centre is only 35 mins walk away. The lady owner is very pleasant and accommodating; we arrived well before the 2pm check-in time but this was not a problem, and she let us leave our bags there after we checked out, to pick them up in the late afternoon to catch our coach.

The rooms are small-ish, but at the end of the day you only really use it as a convenient base for exploring the city and somewhere to sleep at night. Speaking of which, the beds are very comfortable and although I am 5, 9" I had no problems with height. All the guests when I stayed were well-behaved and the owner did intervene if she thought anybody was disturbing others attempting to sleep in the evening.

There were two showers for men and two for women, and although one of each shared with the WC and you could find it wet on the floor when going to the toilet. However we found this was not a problem; it is an understandable solution given the space the owners have to work with and as such is better than only having one shower for men and one for women.

The included breakfast was more than adequate for our needs. There is bread, which you can toast; juice, coffee and tea; ham, cheese, peanut butter, butter and jam for your bread.
All in all, we were very impressed by the location, service and facilities; for the price, it is pretty much perfect.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 June 2012

Location is perfect. 10 min walk from train station, 10 min walk from city center. Reseved a room with shared bathroom, and the owner gave us (my girlfriend and me) private room with our own bathroom. That was a great surprise. Breakfast was great, eggs, cereal, sandwich, tea, coffee, realy big selection. Would recommend to anyone with limited budget.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 May 2012

We arrived at 9am after an unexpected early flight. 10 mins from the station and we arrived at the Vita Novo. The location for us was perfect being easy to get to the sights of Amsterdam. The owners were very helpful and friendly and we left our bags and came back around 6pm. The cabins are small as expected but plenty of room to stretch out on the bunk. Small sink in room with shared toilets and showers. Didn't like that the shower was in the same cubicle as the toilet so often wet floor. Would recommend trying to get a cabin either on the top floor otherwise under the deck area as it was noisy and we didn't sleep well. Great atmosphere, laid back and a fun stay. Breakfast was good. Wifi was available on our mobile devices. Code is given to you. Great idea having drinks with an honesty box.

Room Tip: Upstairs or under main deck away from showers
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 May 2012

The owner is super nice and friendly. The upstairs dining area is really cute and you get a very nice breakfast for free! cut meats and cheeses, including a big ole round and some creamy cheeses, cut slices of cucumber and tomato! yogurt, several types of cereals, two or three types of bread for toast, a bun for making a sandwich, jams, tea....very nice!

The rooms are very small, but as you are on a boat turned into a hostel, you shouldn't expect it to be too spacious. I think it is ideally suited to couples or friends. My husband and I had a great time and thought the room was really cute. All rooms, as far as I know, are double bunk beds.

The boat is very cute but cramped. Not ideal for tall people. Two people left after one night to another place solely because they were too tall for the place.

Luckily, my husband and I aren't tall, so we didn't have any issues.

The women's bathroom is pretty short though. I am inbetween 5'5 and 5'6 and my head touched the ceiling! I couldn't stand to my full height (as someone does to prove they are taller than someone else, not as a normal standing posture).

Any way, height issues aside, this is a great place!

My only complaint would be lack of wi-fi. There is a laptop in the main lobby/dining area but it is slow. We didn't have any issues with competition for its use though.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 April 2012

This boat was good for the price for the Easter Break in Amsterdam.
Upon arrival, we were told to wait on the deck while the staff finished loading goods onto the boat. We then checked in with a helpful guy, who let us have the double room with ensuite shower, bonus!
Room was basic, but then again we only paid for a cheap room knowing we wouldn't be spending much time on the boat. We could check in before 2pm, but the room still had to be cleaned, which it was, bedsheets were clean, and so was the shower and toilet. The room was quite dated though, it could do with a refit, and the shower re-tiling.

Breakfast was ample, all you can eat cold buffet, cereals, cheese, cold meats, bread and rolls, toaster, tea, coffee and juice, we had a big brekkie every morning. All sorts to put on toast too, marg, choc spread, honey, choc sprinkles...

Get any drink in the fridge (cans, bottled water, bottled Heineken for 1.50 Euros) on an honour basis, in other words, put the money in the tin when you take a drink, simple :)

Downsides: About a 10 minute walk from anything, including a good bar. Thought we'd go back early one night due to drinks not being cheap in Amsterdam to enjoy some cheap beers on the boat, to find the main area was locked and shut. Gutted. A little sign hung on the door stating opening times for the communal area would've been nice.

Also, take earplugs, as the walls are very thin and you can hear EVERYTHING. While we were there, there seemed to be lots of asians on the boat who had no concept of basic courtesy. Slamming doors all night long that not only make a loud sound but also rattle the walls is no fun when you've been awake since 2.50am to catch your flight, grrr.

Also, I can see why guests would be annoyed at the lack of toilets and showers, for the public guests there are only 2 showers, 1 toilet, and 2 shower/toilet combo's.

To sumarise, I wouldn't stay here again, purely because I would like to have a hotel room where I would have a little more room, my own shower and toilet, and solid walls. Also something that was a bit more centrally located. But as budget accommodation, if you don't want to stay in a 10-bed dorm in a hostel which is about the only other accommodation available at this price, then choose here.

Room Tip: Ask to upgrade to the double room with shower if possible, we didn't pay any extra for it!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple