“Dinner at a Local Café”
Review of Cafe Local

Cafe Local
Reserve with
Cafe Local is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 432 Restaurants in Maastricht
Price range: USD 7 - USD 19
Cuisines: Belgian, Dutch
Description: Cafe Local, the name says it all: local location, local products, Maastricht people, but also the tourist will feel"local" here. To attentive service. In our respective accessible concept are price and quality; good food and drink at an affordable price. Dishes such as the Maastricht stew are musts. Come in for a nice meal or a drink at the bar, or enjoy the Sun on our terrace.
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Dropped in on a day REO to Maastricht. Envirinf small place. The waiter was very helpful as my wife is a vegetarian. We had a great dinner and espressos afterwards.
A definite stop if in town.

Reviewed 11 October 2017

As we entered the cafe as the only customers inside, we took a seat and asked the waiter whether there was a toilet in there. The answer was "according to EU laws we should have a toilet". He wasn't smiling or anything. He spoke in such an arrogant manner that I felt sorry for non-EU countries because of lack of toilet regulations. I said "That's so nice. Where is it?" He then showed me the way. It is a small cafe but it was impossible for us to make an eye contact or gesture to one of the two waiters to make an order. They both were looking away or pretending doing some other things. Anyway, we ordered. We got the dishes. After a while, I asked for some bread. The waiter did not answer but I assumed he heard me. After waiting for a while, with no bread, I asked the waitress for some bread. I did not get an answer but assumed she heard me. Meanwhile, there were some other customers who got in and the waiters were taking orders, etc. Therefore I waited. After a decent amount of time, I asked the male waiter whether they have bread or not. Because otherwise I wouldn't wait and finish my dish without it getting even colder. The waiter began shouting at me, I am not kidding, he said he was not an oven, he heard me the first time I had asked for it, I should be patient, etc. He turned red. It was over ten minutes I waited for the bread and that was the first answer that confirmed they had heard me. After finishing shouting, he went outside. I was shocked. I have been to tens of countries on five continents and probably hundreds of restaurants and cafes. That was the rudest behavior I have ever encountered. A waiter shouting at a customer whose only faults are asking for the toilets and then for some bread? That is unacceptable. We couldn't finish our meals. We paid and left. We felt he thought he could behave like this because we are people with dark hair; I hope we are wrong. Anyway although the food was delicious at a reasonable price (the cafe therefore got two points), do not go there and ruin your day if you are citizen of a non-EU country. It is not worth it.

1  Thank HelinIstanbul
Reviewed 30 August 2017

I got in to Maastrich early needed a coffee, found this corner shop, and simply loved it, had an unexpected local breakfast with an even more surprisingly good coffee(2), well priced, good service. If you around the market I would recommend.

Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

We were lucky enough to grab seats out the front and enjoyed a wonderful afternoon of good food and beverages! The staff made sure we were never left wanting for anything and the majesty of the history of buildings around you contrasts with the infinite amount of human traffic; which entertains!

Reviewed 10 August 2017

My brother and I were looking for an eatery that offered a good choice of local beer on draft and a reasonable choice of local food offered on the menu. I had a long list of possibilities of places to eat taken from recommendations on trip advisor . Due to the wet weather we decided to go to the closest to our hotel- The Bastian. Which fortunately for us was this place. There was a great choice of beer here and the food was plentiful ,tastie and the set menu was good value. Then to top it all, the staff were very friendly and we felt very welcome. Hence 5 star review!