All reviews excellent food duck pub menu key accommodation
Reviewed 4 September 2016 via mobile

Visited here after it was as recommended by a local. Should have thought otherwise.
We waited over an hour for our food and there was only 12 people in the restaurant part of the pub.
When the food did come it wasn't warm and it was bland. Really surprised of the lack of taste and attention given to the meals. It was over prices and we left no tip as it was that bad an experience.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Steve W
Reviewed 22 August 2016 via mobile

We called here on a Saturday evening. The pub is certainly interesting in decor, first impressions were unsure to love it or hate it! Ordered food from a good menu offering, to a polite but unsure waiter. The food was excellent.
The staff were interesting, despite it all I would recommend you visit. Great value for an excellent meal.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 August 2016 via mobile

We visited the Dial Inn twice during our stay in freshwater east. We are a family of four, 10 year old son and a four year old daughter. Both children know what they like! We visited on our first night, and it was pretty quiet. The staff were polite and friendly, and the service prompt. They provided a half portion of pasta for my daughter without fuss as she wouldn't manage a full portion. I had a pizza with a choice of 5 toppings, which was nice, but let's be honest, if you get pizza wrong, you shouldn't be selling food! Good selection of beers, ales etc. I judge a pub by it's toilets, and to be honest, like most pubs, these are sadly lacking. Old and tired looking, smelly and a grim place to be. Sounds fussy, however, I have been to other establishments on my travels, whose what others may see as a mundane facility, have been modern, clean, and fragrant! However, this is a minor fly in the ointment. We retired to the outside area post meal to enjoy some more drinks. I think for an establishment who offer a children's menu, albeit a very unimaginative one, a play area for children outside would be a great idea. Our second visit on a Friday night, was busier, when the landlord enquired if we had booked, to be told we hadn't, organised a table for us, as we were there at 17.40, 20 minutes before the kitchen opened, which I thought was a nice touch. The meal tonight was ok, I had the duck. At £14.95 I did expect more duck, it was well cooked however. The sauce could have done with more flavour, but that's a personal taste opinion. Unfortunately my son found a hair in his pizza. I informed the bar maid when I paid, who was very apologetic, and was told the chef would be informed, however no offer of taking the price of the pizza off the bill. Not a major issue for the sake of £8, however, I feel it should have been a standard response to a hygiene issue regarding food. I know these things happen, but just honestly reviewing our experience.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank Dom G
Reviewed 12 July 2016

i was meeting some friends at the bishop's palace, which is within easy walking distance. the car park at the pub is odd, but there is lots of free roadside parking very close. the outside of the pub is nothing special but, inside, i was struck by the splendid décor: a lot of tables to eat at, but 2 capacious sofas, 1 very funky indeed; rag painted walls; pictures ranging from the historic to more unusual; etc. more importantly, i was greeted by a charming, helpful barmaid. the menu is terrific and my pizza was superb. service was fast. the other 2 sofa dwellers were friendly and the tone is relaxed.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank sjmgp
Reviewed 30 June 2016

Was staying nearby and called in. First impression was that the pub was ,how can I put it politely, 'shabby chic' However the beer was great (cask beers) and there was some live music. Went back the following evening and ate there. The food was fantastic, better than the hotel. The menu was extensive for a small pub and the food was delicious and nicely presented. Live music again (impromptu I think ) but we had a great night. Would recommend especially the food.

Room Tip: This is a pub not hotel
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple