All reviews boutique restaurant self catering open balcony south coast pleasure of staying sharon cellar spa insects forest trees units nature bliss tranquil accommodation
Reviewed 18 August 2017

My wife and I would definitely recommend a visit to the Cellar Boutique Restaurant. We thoroughly enjoyed every course - probably the finest eating experience in that south coast area. We had booked accommodation and added that we also wanted a table in the restaurant. Booking in was seamless and the table booking confirmed but the message was not conveyed to the restaurant. Luckily when we entered the restaurant, there was still one vacant table. The restaurant has a wonderful atmosphere too and the waitresses did their best to meet our every need. (They were both beautiful young girls.) The accommodation included self-catering facilities and was clean and comfortable. Unfortunately, four guests in the room behind us were very noisy, and we were not able to enjoy the peacefulness of the setting. The grounds need attention below the accommodation. They could be really enchanting.

Room Tip: Rooms in the front look into a treed area with butterflies and birds.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Sharon S, Owner at Honeywood, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2017

thank you for your review. We are sorry you were disappointed with the accommodation, and will do our best to work on our gardens. We ask guests to respect the peace at Honeywood, but it is not easy to enforce this request. We would however approach the offending guests if it was brought to our notice that other guests are being disturbed by the noise.

Reviewed 11 July 2017

On the weekend of the 7/7/17, I ventured through the South of Durban to find an extremely well-hidden lodge. To make myself clear, hidden in the forest of trees.

Upon my arrival, I was greeted by an employee of the lodge with a fantastic attitude who assisted me to my unit with no trouble at all. The simple design of the units is the best. Each unit is equipped with all the necessary equipment to make it self-catering, but they add small amenities such as coffee, sugar and basic toiletries such as shampoo, conditioner, and even body lotion. Not expecting any of this, I, of course, brought my own - What a pleasant surprise.

Prior to this fabulous stay, booking was as easy as a phone call. Sharon took the time to explain the details of booking and with no hesitation sent through an invoice timelessly.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay, even though all I did was use the unit to sleep, and the fast service received. I will definitely call again!
Chris

Room Tip: I think for people wanting a good view, choose rooms 3A and 4B. However, 4B has some very steep stairs that some may struggle with.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Sharon S, Owner at Honeywood, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2017

Thank you very much for the positive review. It was a pleasure hosting you and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 2 February 2017 via mobile

We just happen to hear about the Cellar boutique restaurant whilst visiting one of the antique stores in Ramsgate and wow what a find!!

We were on holiday down the road at one of the beach houses and on our last evening went for dinner at this small intimate fantastic fine dining restaurant. We decided to go all the way - 3 course or nothing and were not disappointed. The venison was exquisite and white chocolate creme brûlée to die for!!

The only not so good comment I have is that the waitress were not that on the ball and could not really comment on the dishes or specials. It didn't take away from the dining experience. Loved the food and you have to book.

Further to this my pamper at the Honeywood Spa the day before was fantastic and I loved the attention to detail, the Africology products and beautiful porch high up amongst the tree tops where I had my treatment.

What a beautiful property!

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Sharon S, Owner at Honeywood, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2017

Thank you for the lovely review, thanks too for the constructive comment about the service, we are working on improving the total experience, and I hope it is even better next time.

Reviewed 1 November 2016

We visited the spa which was top rate.
The treatment and materials used were first class.
The spa is set in tranquil woodland and was an excellent experience.

We had booked a combination package for the Spa and a starter and desert from the adjoining restaurant.

When we saw the menu at the restaurant we decided to add the main meal as and extra and were not disappointed.

The menu is "fine dining" with a modern innovative selection of dishes.

Our starters were excellent and I can recommend the beef parcels, actually like beefy spring rolls, with a superb selection of dips.

My Lamb Main which was a fusion of Cape Malay Lamb with a superb Lamb Chop was also superb.

My wife is a Pescatarian and the vegetarian dishes certainly looked good and she said they were excellent.

The deserts are a mix of traditional flavours reinvented into a more modern cuisine, but were the only disappointment in that although the flavours were divine the portion size was tiny!

Expect to pay fine dining prices but you will get fine dining flavours with that extra bit of innovation and flair, obviously a very talented chef!

We will certainly be back for a longer spa session and another meal, well done.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank johnmO3446QC
Sharon S, Owner at Honeywood, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2016

Thank you for the lovely review, we hope to host you again soon,
Regards,
Sharon

Reviewed 28 August 2016

I loved the duplex chalets, clean upmarket rooms, reasonable rates and friendly hosts.
Definitely worth a third visit if I am ever in Port Shepstone. Beautiful tree lined views from the wooden deck, equipped with gas braai, for self catering guests.

Room Tip: All rooms have excellent views overlooking a natural garden
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled on business
Sharon S, Owner at Honeywood, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2016

Hi Rick,
Thank you very much for taking the trouble to write a review. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your visit with us and hope to see you again next time you are down this way.
Kind Regards