“Excellent service, lovely rooms and location”
Review of Hotel Wellenberg

Hotel Wellenberg
Ranked #54 of 137 Hotels in Zurich
Reviewed 12 January 2012

We stayed in the Wellenberg hotel from Boxingn day 2011 for 2 nights. The service was fantastic. We had to send some bags home to South Africa and they organised the whole thing for us. THe breakfast was lovely, nice selection and lots of fresh fruit. The rooms were huge and very clean and comfortable. The location is perfect, i loved the cobblestone streets and the little shops and restaurants in the area. We ate at Spaghetti Factory across the road, very good food in a very expensive city. The hotel is close to all the major attractions, we walked everywhere. I would recommend this hotel to anyone going to Zurich.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank LiseCapeTown

Reviewed 11 January 2012

This was the first hotel for a week trip to Switzerland. (so more reviews coming up) It was a bit different from what I had expected but was a nice hotel. And yes, I am spoiled by Abu Dhabi standard so this review is a bit biased.

Wellenberg is very modernly decorated hotel. The room is pretty large to the European standard (definitely not UAE standard) but the ceiling is very low. And the room is too well heated, which I enjoyed at first arriving from Abu Dhabi, but later on found too stuffy and dry.
The corridors are narrow and the elevator is amazingly small, but it's good that they have one. ^^

Breakfast was okay, but very Continental and nothing like what you would see in Abu Dhabi. Not much variety and not much fruit. And you have to boil your own egg. You can decide when to bring out your egg from the boiling bath, but then it's been quite some time since I last boiled my egg in the morning so I couldn't tell exactly when. It was fun though. There seems to be one waitress for the breakfast and understaffed. I couldn't get hold of her to ask for an omlette. I don't know about the price because my brother made the booking and paid, but I heard that the breakfast was included. I also liked the view from the room (even though the window was small), where I could see the narrow streets from above.

Everything is there, the TV (tube TV!), clean room, clean bathroom, even a TV in the bathroom (another small tube TV!) but nothing fancy. It was a nice start (I step into worse during this trip) and the location was great. Nice to have a walking tour of Zurich (but there's not much to see in Zurich - my advice to anyone going to Switzerland would to 'go to French speaking or Italian speaking region!')

One more thing. The bed is too soft. I woke up with back pain. T.T

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 January 2012

This hotel is in an excellent location, 5 min walk from train station and close to lovely bars & restaurants. The hotels very nice, the rooms were quiet and well appointed although some of the soft furnishings were a little worn. The self service breakfast was generous with a good choice. Would definitely recommend the Wellenberg.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 December 2011

A very nice hotel, in the heart of the city (Alstadt). Lots of Shops and restaurants around. After some misunderstanding with our reservation, the management was kind enough to upgrade our room to a very big room of 4. it is not the most contemporary and stylish place, but the value for your money is great, taking in consideration it is in the center of zurich.
there is no free wifi in the rooms.
We were 2 days and enjoyed this hotel. The breakfast was good, although can be improved easily.

Room Tip: For a family of 4 - we were in 307# room, which is very big, with a sitting area and extra place for...