“Nice hotel for grannies”

Hotel Continental Zurich - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #30 of 138 Hotels in Zurich
GreenLeadersSilver level
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“Nice hotel for grannies”
Reviewed 6 March 2012

You know , this room 100%looks like for grannies or people after 60..
It was too soft bed , and there were a location of twin beds in front of the empty blind wall but a TV set is on the left corner with a bad watching angle , the room smells like after ages .
First and second , and third points of our view of this room were strange , I asked to change a room when arrived for 2 separate bed in this way and change that room's atmosphere (upgrade because of silver status) but got an answer : "it was done existing upgrade for you anyway" ...
Sure , but on a picture of MGallary you tease people like me with a new style of room not an old fashioned type , you know how to do that exactly .
Just all hotel furnitureware live in a good conditions in this room , no space for alive people , it's a pitty .

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Continental-GM, General Manager at Hotel Continental Zurich - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 13 March 2012
I am truly sorry ou feel this way about our Swiss traditional rooms. As you saw on our website we have got different type of rooms, some modern, urban ones and the more traditional style (that many tourists like). Unfortuantely we have only a handful of rooms with 2 seperate beds, as the majority of our guests request king beds. For future reference, please let us know upon reservation which type you prefer and we do our utmost to accommodate you accordingly. Once again, I am sorry for your inconveniences. Best regards, Monica Voegeli

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 5 March 2012

I've stayed in this hotel a couple of times, and wouldn't hesitate to go back next time I'm in Zurich. It doesn't look much from the outside, but it's lovely on the inside. Rooms are well kitted out and very comfortable, staff are very friendly and professional. Breakfast was good. It's also very conveniently situated for the main train station, at only about 5 min walk away. WiFi access was free.

Seriously, what more do you want?

Oh, what's that, you'd also like a little barrel of fresh local apple juice in reception from which you can just help yourself? Well, it's got one of those too! A nice little touch, I thought.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
What a wonderful reward for all the Continental Zurich team to read such a fabulous feedback of a repeating client on tripadvisor. Thank you for having taken the time to do so, we all appreciate this very much. Best regards and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Monica Voegeli & team
Tunbridge Wells, Kent, England
Reviewed 27 February 2012

First the shortcomings.

Misleading offers on the Accor website .

For customers booking on-line and prepaying in advance the site offers 3 nights for 2 and includes breakfast. My deal was £112 per night excluding breakfast. I tried to book on-line at the 3=2 section, and they charged £336 excluding breakfast, not £224 including breakfast. I sought to rectify this seriously misleading information both by phone in advance of my trip, and with customer relations at the hotel on 22 February about 14:00 hrs. The lady accepted that the site did not provide the offered service but I received no indication that she would seek to resolve or correct the issue. The prices vary depending on dates booked and prepaid. The misleading 3=2 offer remains untruthful.

Other issues:

Housekeeping
Colleagues returning to rooms 545 and 546 at 18:00 hrs on 23 February found that neither room had been made up. A call to housekeeping rectified this, but what followed was not the usual thorough cleaning service

Bar Service
We were not allowed into the bar at 22:50 hours because they were about to close. We were offered drinks in the adjoining lounge, but half hour later they wanted us to sign the bills as they were closing their paper work.

Electric sockets
Room 545 had both Swiss and continental sockets. Room 546 had only Swiss sockets

Accor Club A-1 silver card members
I thought that Sofitel offered welcome drinks on arrival. Hotel Contiental did not.
I am unclear whether this is because they are "ex-Sofitel", or whether it was a service issue.

The Plus Points
Good location.
Quiet rooms
Good efficient wifi
Pleasant atmosphere, if you don’t let the above shortcomings get to you.

1 Thank Gerald-TW
Continental-GM, General Manager at Hotel Continental Zurich - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
OMG, I am so embarassed! I understand your dissapointment in our lack of service and I sincerely apologize for all your troubles. I will look into the matter with all departments concerned. As to the booking the 3for2 rate is an advert, available on certain days. Once you reach the actual booking site you clearly see all the rates, packages available for the category and dates you requested. My sincere apologies. Monica Voegeli
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Mrs, Mr,
The room 432:
A paper: "Hello Mr Flemings" ... my name is not Mr Flemings.
I come alone: a bed for a baby
But the worst was the smell: cleaning product.
I had to change room: 232. A little noise every day: you hear a woman walking with heels.
I signal to the desk an hole in the sheet of the bed in the morning. I had to repeat it in the evening (nothing was done).
Very bad service.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
I am so sorry to read about your obviously unacceptable service at our hotel.
The room change of the mentioned guests with the baby cot request and a misscommunication between housekeeping and reception lead to your unpleasant surprise. Nevermind, I agree that this is a no go and I will immediately look into this with my head of departments. It's a pitty you didn't mention it during your stay, as we would have made it up to you. Now, all I can do is extend my sincere apologies. Best regards, Monica Voegeli