All reviews rolls royce grand dame grand hotel best hotels in the world concierge staff in room dining five star hotel junior suite classic hotel room service superb hotel swiss hospitality lake view pillow menu the location is perfect favorite hotel mini bar
Reviewed 19 October 2017 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights and found the hotel excellent - it’s expensive but the service and attitude 1st class.

Rooms and beds very comfortable and the bathroom has an enormous bath plus large seperate shower .
The common rooms are elegant and decorated in a clean conservative manner, having comfortable chairs and sofas

This is an old school hotel and I defy anyone not to like it.

Breakfast is in a superb room where there is plenty of service on hand should you so wish - again this is expensive

Note - I’ve stayed at many 5 star hotels and been served maple syrup that isn’t the real Macoy which I find very annoying- here it’s the real deal and excellent quality too

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Hotel_at_Lake, Manager at Baur au Lac, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2017

Dear john a,

Thank you very much for having chosen the Baur au Lac for your stay in Zurich and for having taken the time to write these wonderful lines.

We always feel very flattered whenever we get feedback like yours and we are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. With pleasure we will share your wonderful feedback with the entire team.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 19 October 2017

Everything in this hotel is elegant and graceful. The entrance welcomes you with its fine marble floor leading you into the plush lounge. This stunning room, called “Le Hall” has an impressive Empire period chandelier as its centerpiece, porcelain Chinese table lamps and luxurious silk and wool carpets, and lots of comfortable seating; you can enjoy afternoon tea, or a light meal here. The floral decorations in this room are simply sumptuous. The hotel employs two fulltime florists who decorate the hotel with over 1000 flowers every day. I would recommend using the stairs to get to your room, to discover the beautiful stained-glass windows that grace the stairwells.

Just like the hotel, the rooms and suites are tastefully decorated combining classical touches with modern elements throughout. They are plush and super comfortable with wonderful bedding. The bathrooms are marble and very spacious. There is an i-pad in every room, from which you can order in-room dining, or your favourite pillow to be delivered to the room. The i-pad also provides a comprehensive guide to everything you need to know about the hotel and Zurich. The rooms offer blue tooth technology to allow you to connect your phone to its very cool integrated sound system.

On the downside, the Baur-au-Lac doesn’t offer a spa, but it does have a nice, compact and bright gym on the top floor with nice views on the lake.

Room Tip: Take the time to visit their bee hive in the park, it's an actual replica of the hotel. Stunning! The hotel makes its own honey.
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo
Hotel_at_Lake, Manager at Baur au Lac, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2017

Dear Catherine M,

We would like to thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experiences on Tripadvisor.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Baur au Lac. Did you know that the Baur au Lac still belongs to the founding family and that it was opened in 1844? We are pleased to learn that you have sensed the special atmosphere.

Dear Catherine M, we wish you all the best and would be happy to welcome you back in the near future.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 12 October 2017 via mobile

I loathe it when my trophy wife is referred to as my 'partner' for it belittles her genius and her decisive role in our family and, indeed, relationship. As the chauvinist in the relationship, my conscience and better part occasionally get the better of me and I take her away for sojourns such as the one we took in the Bower by the Lake, Zurich - not to be confused with the Bowyer by the Lake, a reference to Lee, the orc-like subhuman who once played football and the watery substance into which much of humanity wishes he would cast himself. Now I have had occasion to review the Bower in the past and, whilst I did so in glowing terms, there is no hyperbole that can adequately cover its glory in this review. This is, quite simply, one of the finest hotels on Planet Earth.

I need a new paragraph to hit full-on hyperbole mode. We were mere tourists for the weekend, mere interlopers taking advantage of a 'buy-one-get-one-free offer' from the Bower and, as such, we were not among the honoured, nor full-fee paying guests and their retinue. We were hoi polloi, middle-class gatecrashers on a Busman's Holiday. I mean, the hotel can hardly guess that I am directly related to Charlemagne, can they? My lineage and that of my TW are hardly obvious and, moreover, I like to behave in a modest fashion around people of a different social echelon to myself. The reaction of those beneath the Bower told a different story as TW and I were treated like a member of a bizarre royal family travelling incognito. I have no idea of the name of the driver of the roller who sped us to the hotel, I have no idea of the name of the enchanting girl at reception who made us feel magisterial. May your names be hallowed. I bow to thee both.

We were upgraded to a room the size of a small kingdom, Baueropia, Baueri-La. The sheets crackled, the pillows sank, the balcony overlooked the Lac, Arsenal were on the HD (natch) telly. There were four windows for heavens' sake. The bathroom was Art Deco. Breakfast was exquisite, the waiters and manager somehow seemed genuinely pleased to see you, dinner in the Pavilion was too much. I got drunk on Margaux, probably doubling the bill but who cares, who cared? Heaven was in the Bauer, everyone in Paradise smiled, Bono wasn't staying. Does it get any better?

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2017

Old school European luxury hotel in a great location with much of the city within walking distance. The rooms were redone recently so they are new and conveniently equipped. Service is top class, and the breakfast spread is excellent. There's no reason not to recommend the hotel, except the price, which is usually for such a hotel.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Hotel_at_Lake, Manager at Baur au Lac, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2017

Dear ajuniaxis,

Thank you for your kind feedback and for choosing and recommending the Baur au Lac.

We are grateful for our central location on the lakefront, therefore it always makes us happy when our guests enjoy it as well. Feedback like yours motivates the entire team to give their best every day! Please rest assured that we will forward your comments.

It would be a pleasure to welcoming you back soon.

Best regards,

Reviewed 8 October 2017

I have spent a couple of night at the Baur au Lac. Staff is fantastic and the rooms are beautiful and clean. It is luxurious but at the same time very elegant. Breakfast was fantastic, I will certainly come back!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Nancy E,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback here on TripAdvisor and for having taken the time to share it with us.

Your kind words put a big smile on our faces and we cannot wait to share them with the entire team. It would be an honor to welcoming you back to the Baur au Lac in the near future.

Warm regards from Zurich,