“Good location, food and service.”
Review of Baur au Lac

Baur au Lac
Ranked #3 of 137 Hotels in Zurich
Reviewed 23 December 2012

I have stayed at the Baur au Lac many times before usually on my own but this last visit with my husband.
I like it mainly because of the excellent service, the beautiful public rooms, the relatively quiet location despite being in the city and the delicious food.
I normally book a single room so this time having booked a double I expected something slightly larger but if anything it was smaller and felt a bit cramped.
I always ask for a quiet room on a high floor with a nice view. The first two I got but as usual it was facing inwards, the so called "courtyard view" which just looks out on to the other rooms.
We arrived too late for a "Swiss" lunch which normally ends promptly at 1.30pm but in this case 2pm so at about 2.20pm we made our way to the excellent Rive Gauche restaurant in the hotel which has an afternoon menu. I had a simple grilled chicken dish with vegetables which was delicious as was everything we ate at the hotel.
I love the big lounge and this time there was a huge Christmas tree decorating it. We enjoyed a couple of drinks there and a snack in the evening watching all the comings and goings.
Our weekend rate included a breakfast in the gorgeous Pavillon restaurant which is a delight in terms of the food, the service and the decor.
This time I would say that my experience was spoilt slightly by some rather brusque receptionists.
Firstly there was no mention of a welcome back despite my loyalty. A welcome drink included in the rate never materialised. The room was very hot and we went to ask if maybe we were not operating the heating control properly but we were told in no uncertain terms that the air conditioning was not switched on in the winter and we should just open the windows and it would cool down. We had already done this as it was stifling.
Then on the morning of checkout I asked if we could have a late check out at 2.45pm as we had a plane to catch at 5pm. I wanted to go back to the room and pack my morning's shopping in to the rest of my luggage. i was told that this was not possible but a 1.30pm departure could be offered. This did not really help so we checked out at about 11am and returned to the hotel for a cup of tea at 2.30pm only to see other people coming down in the lift with their luggage and checking out then.
For me, I had to repack my things in the porter's luggage room.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hollins1
Hotel_at_Lake, Manager at Baur au Lac, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2013

Dear hollins1,

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts about your recent stay at the Baur au Lac on tripadvisor.

We really appreciate that you took the time to record your experience in such a detailed way and are delighted to hear that we were able to fulfil your expectations regarding our restaurants in terms of the food, service as well as the ambience. Furthermore we would like to thank you for your loyalty over the past years and are happy to learn that your husband was able to join during your last visit.

Concerning your experience at the front desk we truly regret that the overall performance of our reception team seemed unprofessional and rather brusque. Rest assured that guest recognition is very important to us and the unsatisfactory points that you address in your comments have been reviewed. Please do accept our apology for any inconvenience caused.

Our deluxe double rooms vary in shape, colour and size. Sometimes it can be a little challenging to assign the “right” room. Nevertheless, we are convinced that during your next visit with your husband we will be able to find a quiet room on a high floor with a nice view. Even our city view rooms on a high floor are not noisy.

We sincerely hope to welcome you back to the Baur au Lac in the near future and have the opportunity to better serve you during your next visit.

Reviewed 7 November 2012

Recently, guess some years ago, I saw the Baur au Lac mentioned as one of the best hotels of the world. Could´nt agree more.Got into Zurich after hours driving from Germany and arrived after midnight. Had no reservation for my plans had flunked. Checked in with the normal Swiss courtesy and they gave me a fantastic double room. The hotel is close to the Banhof Strasse, in the center of Zurich and, as the name says. on the brink of the Zugerzee.I made my comments before on Lausasse and on Switzerland. At 11 pm you won´nt find a single personon the streets. In the other bank, crossing the bridge, Zurich has an effort of nightlife, on the old part of the town. If I should recomend a place to stay (it´s expensive...) I woulkd point out the Baur au Lac. Has an excellent restaurant with a lake view and the food is super.
From one to 10 : 10 to the BAL.

Room Tip: I quoted the swimming pool as poor for frankly I did´nt see any. Plan you trip to enjoy Zurich and...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Sergio99
Hotel_at_Lake, Manager at Baur au Lac, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2012

Dear Sergio99

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your „Baur au Lac“ experience on TripAdvisor.
We are delighted to read that you have spontaneously decided to stay with us and have had such a great time in Zurich. Your kind comments about the service, room and our central location are very much appreciated.

It would be a great pleasure to welcoming you in the near future.

Reviewed 22 September 2012

Baur au Lac Zürich is an extraordinary hotel in city center, at the end of the prestigious Bahnhofstrasse.
Service is excellent, location is perfect, and this is truly a deluxe hotel with everything you can expect from this category in Switzerland.
Breakfast buffet at “Pavillon” is just perfect! Very large choice and delicious food.
With my best recommendation. I will stay here next time visiting Zürich.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank yamatthey
Hotel_at_Lake, Manager at Baur au Lac, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2012

Dear yamatthey,

Thank you very much for your wonderful and kind words you have posted on tripadvisor.

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your time spent at the Baur au Lac. Especially your comments about the excellent service and the delicious breakfast at the restaurant Pavillon make us very proud.

It would be a great pleasure for us to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 12 September 2012

We were thrilled with the wonderful wedding reception for our daughter and her husband - August 2012 at the gorgeous Baur Au Lac.

All of our guests from Canada, USA, Switzerland and Dubai were incredibly impressed with this beautiful hotel.

Thank you so much for the outstanding service that you provided to our family during the planning, as well as the actual day of the wedding reception at Baur Au Lac. Every guest said that it was the most beautiful wedding reception they had ever attended.

The Baur Au Lac is a breath-taking setting. The hotel itself is stunning and from the moment we arrived everything was superb! The accomodation was beautiful and to be honest I have never experienced such a beautiful hotel suite.

Our guests were thrilled with the elegant champagne cocktail hour in the garden. As well, the beautiful banquet room, delicious cuisine and the impeccable service were wonderful.

Manuela, I sincerely hope we cross paths again at the hotel. It was a pleasure meeting you and we sincerely appreciated the superb service you provided. We greatly appreciated your prompt answers to our emails from North America. The Baur Au Lac is very lucky to have you on their staff.

In closing, on behalf of our entire family, thank you for making the wedding day so special. Without a doubt the memories created at Baur Au Lac will last a lifetime!

All the best,

Susan (Canada)

Room Tip: Simply contact the hotel and ask for their assistance. They are very knowledgable and provide excell...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SusanP283
Hotel_at_Lake, Manager at Baur au Lac, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2012

Dear Susan P

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such an outstanding and excellent review about the Baur au Lac on tripadvisor.

We are so glad that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and that the Baur au Lac contributed in making the wedding reception of your daughter an unforgettable one! Your comments about our staff and about the impeccable service make us very proud. It is with great pleasure that we share your delightful comments with our entire team; especially with Manuela. We are absolutely sure it will make their day.

Once again thank you very much for sharing your experience.

We would be delighted to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 9 September 2012

I have 2 go to Europe several times a year for work and find the Zurich airport absolutely the easiest one to arrive to from America. Once I arrive there I go straight to the Baur Au Lac Hotel in Zurich. There are in reality many other hotels to go to in Zurich which are lesser in price. But for me the Baur Au Lac is the place 2 go . It is minutes away from the main shopping street, minutes away from the Train station and a very short walk to the old town. The Baur au lac was just recently renovated and the rooms are lovely and comfortable and for me very quiet.
It is elegantly run, the service is meticulous. The restaurant in the Pavillion , which also was recently renovated, has the most beautiful atompshere which overlooks their gardens and the buffet for breakfast is great, from their selection of cheeses, to their muesli and nova lux.this is surely one of the best run hotels and most elegant in the world. Though a little pricey compared to
New York city or London it really isn't. Don't hesitate to go if you go to Zurich.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the canal it tends to be very quiet there.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank ThinkingTwice
Hotel_at_Lake, Manager at Baur au Lac, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2012

Dear ThinkingTwice

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts about the Baur au Lac on tripadvisor.

We are delighted to read that you enjoy staying with us. Your comments about our newly renovated rooms and our restaurant Pavillon are much appreciated. Rest assured that we will share your kind words with our entire team.

It would be a great pleasure to welcome you back in the near future.