All reviewsrolls roycegrand damegrand hotelbest hotels in the worldconcierge staffin room diningfive star hoteljunior suiteclassic hotelroom servicesuperb hotelswiss hospitalitylake viewpillow menuthe location is perfectfavorite hotelmini bar
Reviewed 14 April 2012

A 3-hour perfect lunch in the Pavillon Restaurant with two business associates on a day visit to Zurich. This is not the place if you want a lively atmosphere - there were only 8 other diners - but you're not rushed, you can hear each other talk and the atmosphere is one of total calmness. Beautiful displays of flowers, too.

The service is as you would expect. I arrived slightly before the others and was made to feel very welcome by a young waiter who engaged me in light-hearted conversation about shopping - oh - and I just loved the little stand that was brought for me to put my handbag on so that I didn't have to leave it on the floor - magic!

Food was beautifully presented - chilled asparagus starter, turbot main course, raspberry tart for desert - light and fresh. We were helped to choose a local red wine wihich had an interesting flavour.

Lunch isn't exactly cheap and I believe that dinner is astronomical - somewhere to eat when on expenses!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Hotel_at_Lake, Manager at Baur au Lac, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2012

Dear DangerousLady,

Thank you for sharing your positive comments about the meal you enjoyed at our Restaurant Pavillon! We are delighted that you had such a pleasant lunch with us. Our vision is based on offering our guests ‘unique moments’ and giving a high level of service where small touches count. We look forward to welcoming you back at the Baur au Lac in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 10 March 2012

Luxury, tradition, location - you get the best for the price that you pay for the room in this historic hotel. We were particularly impressed by the room design: the colours, the furniture, the marble in the bathroom, everything is very elegant and balanced. All the facilities are extremely well maintained, and the staff is very friendly and professional. I also recommend the Pavillion restaurant, we took the Harmonia menu with matching wines, and really enjoyed their traditional French cuisine, especially the vegetables that they served with the scallops and the beetroot sorbet that was presented as an intermission between the two main courses. Complaints? None. The only thing you should know is that their basic Deluxe rooms (and we took one) are not very spacious, you can't mindlessly move around the bed without taking care not to hit the TV and also have to be careful when you step from the bathroom into the toilet. Also if you want a room with a view, you need to take a superior room, not a basic one overlooking the inner yard.

• Stayed: March 2012
Hotel_at_Lake, Manager at Baur au Lac, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2012

Dear ilyaa57,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your recent “Baur au Lac experience” on tripadvisor. It is a true pleasure to read your review.

We are delighted that you have chosen the Baur au Lac for your stay in Zurich and are thrilled that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us. In addition, allow us to express our appreciation for recommending our fine dining restaurant Pavillon.

Regarding our deluxe double rooms we have the pleasure to inform you that they all have a size of 30-35 sqm. They either face the city side, inner court yard or canal side. As they all vary in colour and style we would love to show you some different types during your next stay. We are certain to find a deluxe double room which will suit your needs.

Please rest assured that your comments will be distributed to our team. It will definitely brighten their day!
It would be a great pleasure to welcoming you back in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 19 February 2012

I had a great stay here when in Zurich on business. This hotel really seems to do everything right -- the rooms are very elegant and comfortable, the staff is very attentive, and the location is great. Expensive but I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Hotel_at_Lake, Manager at Baur au Lac, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2012

Dear cdelucia,

Thank you for choosing the Baur au Lac for your stay in Zurich. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. We appreciate your nice comments and are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Your sincerely,

Reviewed 17 February 2012

I was looking for someplace special to stay for this holiday to be a romantic getaway as well as a city break, a hotel with old-fashioned European grand hotel charm, and Baur au Lac turned out to be perfect! The decor, the look and feel of the hotel, the service and attitude of staff were all exceptional! Very good quality breakfast buffet with eggs/french toast/pancakes cooked to order and (again!) exceptional service in a beautiful dining room with views of garden and lake Zurich. Double room is good size with a very large bed, desk and coffee table with 2 chairs, lovely spacious bathroom: large bathtub, double sink, heated floor. We had a canal view room so with a balcony from the room and a window in the bathroom - lots of natural light!
Location is great - right on the lake Zurich, at the end of Bahnoffstrasse, within easy reach of train station (15-20 mins walking) and old town. Perfect access to shopping and sightseeing in and outside of Zurich!
Overall, an amazing stay with no complaints at all! Would definitely stay here again and recommend it! Of course, it will cost you a good deal of money to stay here but you get what you pay for so I consider this good value for money spent!

Room Tip: Canal view rooms are the best of the standard double room range! Get a Leading Hotels of the World membership card for upgrade and free continental breakfast (you'll just need to pay additional SFR 10 per person for the buffet)
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank elinda_si

Dear elinda_si

Thank you for sharing your positive “Baur au Lac experience” with us. Please allow us to express our appreciation for taking the time to share your stay at the Baur au Lac on tripadvisor in such detail. It is a true pleasure to read your review. We are convinced that other users will benefit from your insightful comments and recommendation. Rest assured that we will share your remarks with our entire team.

We look forward to welcoming you back on a future visit to Zurich.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 15 February 2012

I stayed for my 6th wedding anniversary and the hotel was perfect for this kind of special occasion. The suite was very comfortable & functional. I have asked the concierge to arrange flowers and champagne before the arrival and they have done a great job. When my wife entered the suite, she was so impressed. The concierge staff from the door to the desk was just perfect. I was welcomed in French as I believe they recognize my car French plate… impressive! And all my requests were smoothly and effectively handled by all employees of the hotel who are polite and helpful. I will recommend this hotel for sure as it is also very well located downtown Zurich. CONGRATULATION

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SLemoine

Dear SLemoine

Such wonderful and kind words! Thank you very much for taking the time to post your „ Baur au Lac experience “on tripadvisor. We are happy that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and that the Baur au Lac staff contributed in making your 6th wedding anniversary unforgettable!
Please rest assured that your feedback will be shared with our team. It will definitely brighten their day! It would be a great pleasure to welcoming you back in the near future.

Your Baur au Lac Management