“Great location and view, expensive wifi charges”

Movenpick Hotel Lausanne
Ranked #7 of 46 Hotels in Lausanne
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 23 March 2012

Having lived in Lausanne for several years recently, we know the area well and chose this property based on price and location. We booked 3 nights, months in advance and were able to find a good price. When we wanted to add on a couple of extra nights much closer to the date, the hotel was completely booked (due to the Geneva car show) and we had to move to another hotel. This hotel is in a great location, on the lake, and very close to a metro stop, which is convenient for getting to the train station and central Lausanne. We were given a free metro card for the length of our stay which was much appreciated as the transport costs, like nearly everything else in Switzerland, are expensive. We booked a lake standard room with a queen bed. Our room was on the 5th floor and the lake view was GREAT. The room was nice and of good size for a European hotel room. There was a small table and a desk and a pot for making hot water, convenient to use with the coffee press that we travel with. Service in the hotel was very good. We ate at a hotel restaurant only one time and enjoyed a promotional Thai menu that was very good. Our only problem with the hotel was having to pay very expensive charges of 18CHF per day for wifi and there was a charge for each device used! My husband and I typically travel with 2-3 devices each, so we are always annoyed by these multiple internet charges. Fortunately, we had a portable, travel router with us so we only paid for 1 device, but we HATE having to pay for wifi at a hotel. Wifi should be free at a hotel of this price range. In fact, we found free wifi at a nearby 3 star hotel. If the Moevenpick were to drop the internet charges, I could more heartily recommend it.

Room Tip: It's worth booking a lake view room. The view is really nice.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank swissmiss001
There are newer reviews for Movenpick Hotel Lausanne

Reviewed 16 March 2012

Stayed there for a week in March, 2012. Service is very good. Prices are very Swiss. Rooms are pretty large, with 2 big beds. Furniture and rooms themselves need renovating. Food in the resaurant is expencive and not that delicious. Breakfasts are good but the same during the whole week. Good benefit of the hotel is a city transportat card for free for the period of my staying.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 March 2012

I stayed 3 nights in a Deluxe room with lake view. OK, the view is amazing from the 6th floor. The room was "Swissly" clean, and the staff does its best to help you. However, compared to several 4 star Hotels, you will not have a bath suit or bath shoes, there was no clock to wake you up, a USB linked to the TV (flat screen HD) does not allow you to plug your IPhone to listen to your music. Also, I already have seen a Nespresso machine in another hotel and there was only powder coffee. The worst point is the Wi-Fi : CHF 5.- an hour or CHF 24.- a day. In a city where you can have it for free in every public places and many pubs, this is disappointing. Probably they know that their rooms will be busy all the time because of the organisations around Ouchy, so they do not need to make more. For the same price there is also the Chateau d'Ouchy and the Hotel d'Angleterre, more charming. Finally, this is a good business hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank karen_schmutz
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I guess there was nothing wrong with my room at the Movenpick, but when I pay so much for a room, more than many proper design hotels, I expect an immaculate and beautiful room. It was tiny (although I'll give it the benefit of the doubt since other hotels I've stayed in in Lausanne are similar) and the decor was dated and pretty ugly.

The location is perfect, down by the water at Ouchy, and right beside the funicular, so it's good for business or pleasure. It was clean and tidy, the staff were friendly and helpful, and the breadth of international TV channels was excellent.

But I have to say, given the reputation of Movenpick hotels being so good, and the cost, I was disappointed.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Jillinthebox
Reviewed 15 February 2012

It is very close to our offices, near the hotel small shops, open also after business hours.The hotel room was very nice, clean, comfortable. With a huge bed, which I enjoyed very much.Very quite. What I loved is the bathroom. Very modern, clean. And I enjoyed the bathtube really much. Fitness center and nice bar downstars of hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business