New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #35 of 68 Hotels in Lucerne
London, United Kingdom
“excellent stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

We staved for ther second time at the Grand Hotel Europe and everything was above our expectations. We were allocated a very nice room ovelooking the lake. It was very spacious, clean and the furniture is very modern.

Room Tip: Ask for a room either facing the lake or with mountain view.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Marco B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bucharest, Romania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

I spent 3 nights at this hotel during one of my business trips in Switzerland. The classical design makes it a bit different from the other modern hotels where i used to stay during my often travels. The room had a beautiful lake view and a very good size. I had a dinner with my partners here and the food, atmosphere and the service were simply great. Big thanks for the reception, service and kitchen people for dealing with our requests. I will definitely come back next time!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Vlad P
St. John's, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2011

lovely view. room large no amenities, no air conditioning.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank christine s
Washington, DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

My room was spacious and clean and the breakfast was varied and quite good.

The location of the hotel is both convenient and inconvenient depending on what you want. It is right next to a bus stop that is directly connected to town (convenient), but is a fair walk from most of the main attractions in Lucerne (inconvenient).

The front desk staff was only marginally interested in helping me/answering questions/making reservations and I ran into a few problems with the housekeeping staff. First, one was mopping right in front of the breakfast room during breakfast with no wet floor sign. I slipped and fell--as a young person, this was more annoying than painful, but I shudder to think what might have happened to an older person. After breakfast, a man who never identified himself, but could have been a manager, confronted me and told me to be careful in the future--basically blaming me for slipping. Of course, I noticed that they had since put up wet floor signs, so...this harassment was in contrary to customer service principles and really soured my morning.

I went upstairs to change and get out of there, when a maid entered my room (while I was changing) without even knocking to clean. This was at about 10am--two hours before checkout time.

I say weigh these pros and cons and see what deals are out there--might be worth it, might not...and look out for wet floors!!!

Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank gillyflower_dc
Manassas, VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2011

I visited Lucerne after a 4 day business trip to Basel, Switzerland. It would have been an hour drive but we hit horrible traffic on the A2 on a gorgeous Sat afternoon. Checked in at the Grand Hotel Europe about 3:30pm and decided it was too late to visit Mt. Pilatus. I walked to the old city area (about 20 min) and had dinner instead. Went to the Mt the next morning and it was an amazing experience. The attendant at the desk didn't have many answers to our questions but she did try. I had a single room that luckily faced the lake. The view was gorgeous. My room did not have air conditioning and it was a fairly warm day. I requested a fan as I had seen noted in another review and it helped and was comfortable. My main complaint was the bed. Two singles pushed together. When I laid across diagonally in the afternoon I didn't notice but at night when I tried to sleep under the covers I on kept rolling into the crack. The bed was very sloped so it was hard to stay on the edges. There is a main light switch as you enter the room that must be turned on to turn any of the other lights on. My bathroom was a nice size and was well lit. Breakfast had a good variety and was a plus since it was included in the price. I did miss not having free wireless internet. I did not pay for the service. The lobby and gardens were very nice and there was free parking for our rental car. The price for the value was good and when I return to Lucerne, which I fully intend on doing, I may stay here again.

Room Tip: I don't think the lakefront rooms have air conditioning but the view is worth the discomfort.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo