“Great vibe, good food”

El Mexicano
Ranked #222 of 779 Restaurants in Basel
Price range: USD 12 - USD 37
Reviewed 7 May 2017 via mobile

I don't know authentic mexican food, so as one reviewer pointed out: I don't know what I'm missing...

However I really enjoyed my visit here: a buzzing vibe (live mexican songs played and sung by two mexicans walking around the restaurant with their guitars) and good food and drink.

We wanted to both order the "Quesos fundidos" as a starter and the waiter kindly informed us that one would be enough as we would otherwise suffer from a cheese overload!
My girlfriend being a vegetarian ordered it for us without the chorizo in it. I thought this would be a shame but in the end it was perfectly yummy since it also had mushrooms and courgette -
kind of like a mexican fondue to be wrapped in fajitas.

We both had great quesadillas as mains - I loved mine with beef in it and it wasn't at all greasy or fatty - delicious!

I delighted myself with their mexican red wine, a Cabernet Sauvignon and a Petite Sirah (the latter the lighter of the two), while my fiancé took pleasure in their cocktails: they have a whole booklet dedicated to describing interesting facts about the cocktails, where they come from and their ingredients!

My only confusion was: what is El Mexicano and what is Cuba Cafe Bar...?!

Reviewed 18 January 2017

I went there with 3 of my colleagues so 4 in total. We just wanted to try something different so tried and it did not disappointed us. It was good setup with nice ambience and low on folks and noise. Food was good and staff was very friendly. We ordered mix of vegetarian and non-veg food. Taste was good. We also ordered few drinks.
All in all a recommended one. Got CHF 138 bill for 4 folks.

1  Thank ukgaurav
Reviewed 16 January 2017

We had a dinner here once in december after our return from Cuba, craving some "carribean" food. We got seated immediately on a Saturday evening without a reservation, which was nice. I ordered fajitas with chicken and my boyfriend had some ribs. We were both very happy with the food- it was tasty, the quantity was more than enough and it was served rather quick (for a packed restaurant on a Saturday evening). You need to keep in mind it is almost impossible to find good Mexican food in Basel (or Switzerland in general), therefore if you are used to authentic incredible Mexican food, you might be disappointed. But you will certainly get tasty food! I recommend the fajitas with chicken, the meat was very good and the sauces coming with as well. They sell also cuban cigars and the place itself is very nicely decorated!

Reviewed 14 December 2016 via mobile

It's a Mexican restaurant in the middle of old town Basel. If you're from North America and have eaten at Mexican restaurants (particularly in the USA), then you'll be underwhelmed. The selection is good and the quality is there but the taste just isn't authentic. Had the fajitas and then we're average. A colleague of mine had the tacos. Average. Prices were extremely high (but average for Basel) which is a bit of an oxymoron since Mexican food is typically very inexpensive in North America. Unless you have a particular reason for choosing Mexican, you can probably do a lot better for the same money elsewhere. If you never had Mexican food before and chose to eat here, then I suppose you won't know what you're missing.

Reviewed 7 October 2016 via mobile

A five minute walk from our hotel great atmosphere of service was good
I'm the only thing they didn't have was the English translation on their menu
Waiter was great and explaining things
We have the on enChilada and the fajitas
Large plates very tasty the only thing normally the fajitas come on a metal plate sizzling hot ours came on a metal plate not sizzling hot
Reasonably priced for Switzerland