“Cheerful atmosphere”

Desperado Mexican Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #373 of 787 Restaurants in Basel
Reviewed 20 October 2017

This has been my first visit to this restaurant; I hadn't even known it existed. A group of business colleagues - a bit over a dozen of us - met there for a meeting and discussion. Back home in Arizona I often go to Mexican or so-called Mexican restaurants, and this place made me feel right at home. The decor is cheerful, bright and coloprful with vivid primary colors - do not miss the massive upstairs chandelier made with liquor bottles! - There's a large bar downstairs, and in warm weather you can also be seated outside on the pavement of Basel's true pedestrian street lined with bars, restaurants, boutiques and cinemas, to name just a few; in any case, you are cairtainly at the heart of downtown life.
Being a larger group who also needed to discuss issues, we were seated upstairs at the back, for some privacy. At first it seemed to me the music playing from the speakers might be a bit of a problem for that, but the manager kindly turned off the speakers nearest us, so it was fine.
We were served very promptly - the menus are in the shape of a Saguaro cactus, and nearly as large as a young specimen, offeing a wide choice of typically Mexican fare.
Our server was very friendly and attentive, and the food arrived promptly. Ok, it was not outstanding or unique, but everybody at the table enjoyed their meal and liked what we got. I had chicken fajitas and the torillas came in a colorful woven sombrero - nice touch. There was a lot of chicken with it, the portion truly almost more than I'd bargained for. The beans and rice and other trappings could have had a bit more zest and flavor, but on the whole it was ok. I'd definitely go there again - and in actual fact will. All of us were so happy with it that we decided to make this our regular, once-a-month meeting place for our association. We were then told that our meeting day, 1st Thursday of every month would coincide with Salsa night - hey, all the better, and the Salsa night starts at 9, so we need to get the business out of the way right at the start and then enjoy the atmosphere at this attractive place.
I felt the food was pretty expensive; but then i always feel that when in Switzerland - simply doesn't compare to the average restaurant in Arizona. Expect to pay at least 30-40 dollars for a main dish, more if it involves some sort of steak .
The place is very clean and well kept, including the restrooms.

Date of visit: October 2017

Reviewed 23 September 2017 via mobile

Never been in Mexico before, hence I can't judge if this restaurant has authentic flavors, anyway all you get is quite good, no surprises though. Standard Mexican food. Service is nice as well the waiters.

Date of visit: September 2017
Reviewed 23 July 2017

My husband is not a foodie and in fact drives me insane with his boring dining limitations, so while in SWITZERLAND, we were looking for something he would eat. We found this Mexican Restaurant and gave it a try. I had a salmon dish that included 3 large corn cakes. The salmon was not great but the corn cakes were fabulous. The waitress suggested a local beer that we enjoyed. My husband was thrilled with the fajitas meal he selected that compared to Mexican food we frequently find in our home town in California. Go upstairs and use the restroom so you can have a look at their AMAZING Lighting fixture.

Reviewed 23 July 2017 via mobile

Food was good, not amazing. No kids menu so our kids shared fajitas. Nice traditional atmosphere and facilities fine.

Reviewed 18 July 2017 via mobile

Occasional visiting this restaurant we found friendly service and very tasty food. The place has air conditioning and nice inner environment.