“Actual Italian cafe”

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine
Good for: Local cuisine
Reviewed 12 May 2016 via mobile

Not an american cafe, not a sydney cafe an actual italian cafe...as the locals use.
The coffee is good, no very good, but you will get shoved out of the way by what you thought was a nice old lady at the counter.
Sitting outside costs more (as it does..) but the people watching is fantastic and more than makes up for it

Reviewed 4 May 2016 via mobile

Because the outdoor tables overlook the piazza and offer both shade and sun, we ate outdoors twice at Caffe' Turreno. Turkey kabobs looked great as plated but were desiccated and tasteless. Our pastas and pizzas, however, were substantial and delicious. Service is slow, but servers bring fresh bread ahead of the entrees so that helps if you're hungry. Lots of nice wines by the glass, since you can order a glass of whatever is available by the bottle. It's a great place to watch the town go by, although you are likely to get secondhand smoke from local diners, as well as the students/professors who chat nearby.

Reviewed 21 March 2016

I want it to have a coffee in the morning last sunday.After a long search from Corso Garibaldi to Center of Perugia, i finally find one coffee open, i told I'm lucky. The bar is in a strategic place and i just want it to have a coffee and a croissant: typical italian breakfast. The atmosfear is it really poor, the chairs are old and very uncomfortable, i put my bag on the table and go to order. I stay on the bar may be 10 min before the two bartenders noticed me, i feel like i was invisible. They make take orders to a few mans who were arrived after me, and i just stoad there and waited, very machinist attitude and very unpleasant. Finally they asked me what i want : i wanted tea or coffee, their tea one cup cost 4 euro almost: they tell me the tea it is very good one, they do not even give you a can just a cup of it. So i decidet that i want a coffee and a croissant, while they were talking like they do not hear me, taking my money, and making some orders to some regular customers i get my change.They give me the coffee and charge me for the croissant but forget to give it to me, and i had to remind them and they were visibly bothered doubting that i already had a croissant, all this happening while i am waiting for them to give it to me.
They make the WORST COFFEE i had ever try,very poor mix of arabica, and the croissant was not nice. While i was waiting them to notice me, some persons sit on the table where i had my bag and even move it (obviously regular customers). I wanted to sit but was not possible. They were rude and I'm not willing to visit this place again. Evitate ! Nothing to enjoy there!

Reviewed 15 October 2015

This little café restaurant in the central square of Perugia overlooking the glorious cathedral outdid our expectation by a long way.
The food and wine were great! I began with the fresh egg-pasta, with sausage and truffle. It was truly outstanding, golden in colour, rich and melting, in fact some of the best pasta I have ever eaten. Delicious sauce. My companion had the plateful of "norcellaria" the locally cured sausages and hams. This is what the French would call "charcuterie" but here in Umbria the pork products all have a characteristic tang. It was excellent, very plentiful, and served with homebaked bread, so a meal in itself. He followed it with a plateful of local cheeses, while I had the bream. Sea-bream is not actually a local product, but this was absolutely delicious, really fresh, and served with a salad of three different types of cherry tomato, plus rocket. We drank an Umbrian red wine, Montefalco 2013, which was fruity and well-rounded but not too heavy for a summer evening.
Unfortunately we couldnt' manage a pudding as the portions were generous and the quality of each of the first two courses too good to skimp on. But I would recommend this chic little place without hesitation for anyone visiting Perugia.

Reviewed 28 August 2015 via mobile

This cafe is ideal for people watching, much less the hapless foreign drivers who have foolishly entered the ZTL at the wrong time!

The staff are pleasant and helpful.

Cafe, cappuccino and cornetto all good, though best to arrive before 09:30hrs. If they are busy, go to the counter to order.

Used regularly by locals, as judged by our two month watching experience, indeed I sometimes wonder what foreigners like us expect, however, we are simply passing trade.

Simon Hanley