“A truffle plate for how much?!”
Review of Baffone

Baffone
Ranked #19 of 136 Restaurants in Gubbio
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 2 November 2017

The drive there was, to say the least, a bit of an adventure in the dark. There were times when we regularly question the sanity of some of my 'off the beaten track' cuisine choices. I certainly did as we were driving there.

However, all doubts soon melted away.

This was the type of family restaurant that I came to Italy to see. Mum was in the kitchen. Dad is the boss and owner. Grandpa was the previous owner. The son Ubaldo and his fiancee(?) (sorry, my Italian is a bit 'poco poco') worked the floor. Friendly truffle-seeking doggies out the front. Everyone was nice and very patient.

The black truffle (typical of Umbria) rained like there was no tomorrow. And it was very VERY good value (I'm not going to write down the price so you can't hold this nice family to it).

We live in a truffle producing region in Australia and it is not very common to see truffle rain like this on a plate. Usually it is: 1) when I know the owners of a restaurant, 2) when I've paid a truck load of ducats at an uber fine dining temple of gastronomy, or 3) when I cook myself at home (we have a tradition in our house of buying a fist-sized truffle at the beginning of every season).

However, it was actually the dish with the least quantity of truffles - the fonduta (or fondue) - that really allowed the truffle to shine. After all, fat carries flavour best.

Make sure you check out the wine that was bottled especially for Da Baffone. Again, exceptional value.

Dinner was such good value, I felt bad when I paid the bill. Like I shortchanged a nice family.

Reviewed 31 October 2016 via mobile

Top service
Top place
Top food

Photos says more than words, gorgeous launch in the truffle house.
Baffone rulez

Reviewed 28 August 2016

A slightly surreal experience for the British tourist, but absolutely recommended as one of the best (and best value) meals we've had in Italy. The theme of the restaurant is (black) truffles. So expect lots of truffles; lots and lots. If you don't like truffles, don't go. It's tucked away but with it's own road signs - take a left on the Fano road out of Gubbio after descending the Contessa pass, then keep going for about 5K. A little bit of English is spoken but it's mostly in Italian with spoken rather than written menus, but don't worry - it's delicious! We had a combo antipasto of local meat/cheese with a truffle dish, then tagliatelle with truffle (you get the theme), then tagliata (yummy) and scallopine (ditto). Oh, they had truffle too. Staff really friendly and the owner wanders around being nice. And the bill - an absolutely staggeringly good value at €100 for four including wine (that's total, not per person). You should definitely go...

1  Thank Geraint_Rees
Reviewed 22 May 2016 via mobile

Focaccia was too thin and I cut my mouth with it so I don't advise it. There was no white truffle so I was disappointed. It is situated very far away and the road is all mountains. So it is hard to find. There is no mobile service so the Internet didn't work, neither the navigator. Zuppa inglese - nothing special, cantucci were good, I think hand made ( not from supermarket). Bruschette were very good, baked cheese was good.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

When your GPS says to turn and you find an unpaved road, do not believe it, go on another 5 kms :) Don't excpect a fancy menu (or any at all), you can choose between 2 appetizers, 4 pastas and 4 mains and regarding truffles you do not actually have a choice. The amount of truffles is truly amazing, service is friendly, but the fun part is at the end, when the owner looks at you and sets the price accordingly.