Il Vinaio
Price range: USD 1 - USD 47
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Traditional "tuscany-old style" wine-restaurant.
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Very good value for money. This is a family restaurant offering a wide range of cheese, ham, wine, sweets of Toscany. We wanted to taste all the specialties and waiters did their best to satisfy us. On our way back we even returned to this cozy place to buy wine and pan forte and it cost really little!

Highly recommended!!!

Reviewed 10 August 2014

I ended up eating lunch at this restaurant out of accident and I am so glad I did. I was on my way out of Siena and wanted to eat before I left. The other places were closing and this place was still serving. I sadly cannot remember the name of what I ordered, but the server told me he recommended it and it was a traditional pasta for that region. The flavor was out of this world and the serving was huge! I wish I had the recipe for the sauce! I wished I would have been hungrier because the antipasti options looked amazing too. Do yourself a favor and buy a bottle of their house wine and a bottle of their house olive oil, you won't regret it! The food wasn't expensive, the wine wasn't expensive, and the taste was worth a million dollars.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is one of those places that you'd never enter if you just pass by. And we saw several people doing just that - looking inside and going away. I felt sorry for them. This is a small place in a quiet street. The decor is simple, but charming. We came in at 3 pm, the place was almost empty, but still open. After reading the reviews, my wife and I were keen on eating here. Claudio came to take care of us, and offered a list of available dishes for the day. Starting, a wonderful bruschetta, simple, just the bread, olive oil and black pepper. Then a mixed tray of pecorino and salumi. Wow, from fresh, soft pecorino to 1-year cured. And prosciutto crudo, peperoni, and others that I can't remember the name. Finally, some pasta. Filled pasta with a souce of almonds and pecorino for my wife and a macheronchini with a duck ragù for me. All this with a small productor Chianti Classico, personal recommendation from Claudio. The best wine I tasted in Tuscany so far. This was more than a meal, it was a travel through tastes and culture. And thanks to Claudio and his wife, this was an unforgettable afternoon. Cannot forget his anxiety in searching for the words in English that could describe what he meant when we asked about the cheeses and the wines.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

The array of hams, sausages and vegetables hanging above the food counters were a harbinger of an excellent lunch consisting of a mixed plate of warm and cold antipasto - great selection, tasty and satisfying. The friendly staff cautioned us against ordering one each, and it proved that sharing was indeed the better option and of course kinder on our wallet. Proprietors Bobbe and Davide personally supervise matters and their attention to detail and high standards makes this a definite recommendation.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

We had a mixed cheese and cured meat plate here and I have no complaints about that. The foods were all from the region and carefully thought out, eg the cheeses ranging from young to old. The Chianti we had with the plate was delicious, although I don't think you'd go here if you're looking for an extensive selection of wines by the glass.
We found the ambiance a bit strange because a woman, whom I assume is the co-owner/wife, was carrying their baby around the entire time, talking to tables, playing with her, etc. Cute baby or not, it's just not the type of thing one is always in the mood for when going out for a romantic glass of wine. Some background music would have been nice, too.