Algotels
Dreamer
Australia

Great location, helpful staff

4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 8 May 2017via mobile
The hotel is very near to the Tower and Duomo. I found it a little noisy in the evening as my room faced the street. The room was clean and functional. Breakfast selection was reasonable. The stand out feature for me was the friendly and helpful staff. Given the location and staff I think it was good value for money if you want to be close to the major sights in Pisa.
Date of stay: May 2017
    AU$239
1.5 km from Grand Hotel Duomo
View more hotels in Pisa
1,808 results
All reviews rooftop bar leaning tower excellent location minute walk a bit tired pastries stayed here for one night train station duomo florence cheese euros meats miracles
Selected filters
Reviewed 7 May 2017

We stayed one night at this hotel and had booked a room with a balcony.

The best thing about this hotel is its location. If it isn't the closest hotel to the tower it is one of the closest. The view from both the rooftop bar and our balcony was spectacular. We were able to get a clear view of the tower.

In the 80's this would have been a very grand hotel. Unfortunately thirty years have passed for the rest of the world and this hotel hasn't kept up. The public areas of both the lobby and mezzanine are grand however the restaurant, used for breakfast, and the area behind the reception desk, but still visible from the public areas are in urgent need of a major update.

We had Apartment A (a bit like a suite). This room was not so grand. The door opens into an area with a small occasional bed/settee that would be suitable for a child. Leading from that is the "lounge" area. This has a bay window with wooden bench seats on either side of it. These seats only have a thin cushion and are not suitable for relaxing on. There are also two upright chairs and a small table.

The bathroom is off the "lounge". This has one of the best showers I've seen in a hotel; it was however spoilt by being in the middle of the bath meaning that you have to stand directly underneath it. When we got to the room the toilet has not been flushed after the previous occupant had used it. We were provided with three sets of towels. Some of these appeared almost new whilst others appeared to need replacing urgently - there was no middle ground!

Also off the "lounge" was the bedroom. This had a king size bed, wardrobe, dressing table, mini bar and safe. In the headboard was a clock and radio. The clock told the wrong time and the radio didn't work. The bed was hard and only provided with one thin pillow each. There was another pillow in the wardrobe but that was also thin. There were shutters on the bedroom windows.

Through these shutters was access to the balcony. This was big, had a good view but was only separated from the balcony of the next door room and a public balcony by a couple of plants in pots. The balcony had a couple of sun loungers (both too dirty to sit on), two chairs and three deck chairs. One of these chairs was obviously broken with the fabric torn off at one end. When we first got to the room there was an empty beer bottle and a very dirty ashtray on the windowsill.

The entire apartment was in need of dusting with the outside of the wardrobe in particular being thick with dust. The dust problem extended onto the corridors as well - the parts of the handrail which weren't constantly being touched also needed cleaning.

The hotel does offer free WIFI however we were unable to try it. The signal was so weak that we were unable to logon and ended up using our own, roaming, WIFI.

Breakfast was good. There is a decent choice of cereals and juices, hot food (bacon and scrambled eggs), cold meats and cheeses, pastries and sweet goods. I feel that special mention should be made of the machine that makes pancakes although the pancakes it makes are not the best I've ever eaten and the syrup is definitely not maple.

All the staff in the hotel were very friendly and spoke passable to good English.

I paid €180 for the room for the night to include breakfast. I think this was very expensive for what we got. This rate was discounted from €200 because we paid in advance.

This hotel has the advantage that you are within minutes of the tourist sites and you can get there before most of the tourists - the place is swarming by 9-30 on a weekday. I haven't rated this hotel particularly highly and wouldn't stay here again if I had a choice. However if we were back in Pisa and needed a hotel both with a balcony and close to the tower then I don't think I'd have a choice. If I were just using Pisa airport then I’d look for a hotel within walking distance of the station. As Pisa isn't somewhere you want to spend a lot of time I doubt I'll be going back.

3  Thank pnhmrk
Reviewed 4 May 2017

We have just returned from a short break in Pisa. We booked into this hotel and as it is rated as 4 star, we assumed everything would be of a reasonably high standard and found our room more like what would perhaps be a 2 star. The Bathroom door didn't close, the wardrobe didn't open fully as it banged against the bed and the decoration standard was also very poor. The furniture also looked like at one time it was varnished and had been given a coat of matt emulsion. We thought that perhaps the room was a converted store room.

Room tip: Travellers should make clear in their booking what their requirements are.
Date of stay: May 2017
Reviewed 2 May 2017

I give it an excellent review because I like a hotel with great location and an awesome view! Our room was quaint and nothing fancy, but our view was perfect of the Duomo and the Tower. We just opened the doors and watched the crowd below and enjoyed the views and activity. Claudio was so welcoming, and the view and drinks from rooftop were spectacular!

Room tip: I am sure the upper floors have the best views
Reviewed 2 May 2017 via mobile

Many reviewers have mentioned that this hotel is 'dated' but I absolutely LOVED it. It literally takes you back to the 60's and 70's and just how grand things were back then; days when you would dress for dinner etc. You just have to look beyond 'datedness' and imagine how amazing it would have been. Our twin room was spotlessly clean, compact, comfortable and came with a view of the duomo and tower. The roof top bar has breathtaking reviews of Pisa and beyond. Roberto, one of the barmen, was incredibly charming and kind. Breakfast was a good spread, a previous review mentioned 'weird fruit juice' I can only assume they were referring to the delicious blood orange juice. I think this hotel is great value for money and would definitely stay again.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Reaneybean80
Reviewed 28 April 2017

Best location within 100m from Pisa Leaning Tower, very friendly staff. Come with my wife and 8 weeks old son for one night stay before heading to Lucca and Florence. We got a room with a nice view of the tower. We can park our car on the street with a permit at 7 euro. They also even help to park the car as its car park was full (25 EURO). Highly recommended.

Room tip: higher floor
  • Trip type: Travelled with family