“A great place to visit in Italy”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Lucca

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
West Midlands, UK
“A great place to visit in Italy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2008

Only 30 mins or so from Pisa via train or car, Lucca is great for a long weekend. It is a large town with so much history and yet not too many tourists. The old walls that surround Lucca are great for cycling around; it feels like you're in a park with groups of Italian old men sitting and chatting and joggers continuously lapping you.

Inside the city walls are a great number of piazzas, churches and even a huge tower with a tree at the top. The cafes and restaurants are reasonably priced and very relaxed. So, for a quick and well-priced get away with plenty to do, Lucca is a must visit.

Durham NC (USA)
66 helpful votes
“Off-season Lucca: a breath of fresh air (plus lots of rain)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2008

In February 2008 I visited Lucca (Tuscany), a charming fortified town that I'm sure is overrun with tourists from May through October. If you are prepared for some cold and damp weather, considering visiting this area during the winter -- and especially during the carnival season. Not only were the streets of Lucca peaceful -- and the cafes and restaurants filled only with Lucchese -- but you can see the carnival in Viarregio (older and more authentic than the one in Venice) and, an hour away, you'll waltz right in to the Uffizi in Florence, not something you'll be able to do during the spring and summer.

Lucca's worth a day to explore, but I liked using it as a base to see other sights in Northwestern Tuscany. It's on the Pisa-Florence train line, so you can visit Prato, Montecatini Terme, and other towns easily. It's also not far from the Cinque Terre and from the Italian Riviera.

Brisbane, Australia
249 helpful votes
“A Great introduction to this city”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2008

The train station is outside the walls of Lucca. This walled city was not as impressive as the Mediterranean villages we just left.
2 days is really all we had and we saw as much as possible.
There is a parklike area around the top of the walls that completely surround this city. It is interesting walking around the wall and looking down over the town. Of course there is history
with the lovely churches, Torre Guigini which one can scale if game and the very impressive Piazza Anfitreato built over an ancient Roman Ampitheatre. We especially liked the shops and was very impressed with a little bar done out in dark timber, wine bottles lining the shelves and massive glass jars with all sorts of chocolates...we sat eating our antipasta and enjoying a nice local red wine, while it drizzled rain and people came and went after having a taste test of the local wine, chocolates and tortes.
Bellisimo!

Canberra
“What apeals to most in Lucca”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2008

Lucca is an ancient city of Italy, full of old charm with city wall wrapping around the city centre, showing the characteristics of the city defence of yesterday years.

Building architecture is original and interesting. It was so easy to spend a day there and forgetting the outside buzz ling world.

There are a few flea markets, all selling used house fittings or antique style fittings and interesting contemporary paintings. I found walking through them was fun. Almost every building is occupied. I was impressed by how the Lucca residents had converted a historic large showground into town residence, leaving most of the building structure intact.

The tranquillity and the town ambience are unique, which made drinking coffee at the local cafe so much more interesting.

When I got a bit lost amongst the narrow lanes of Lucca, I found it difficult to get directions, mainly due to the older residents not terribly conversant with English. I was lucky to run in some right age-group residents to untangle the maze like lanes to get back to my tour coach. I was some 15 minutes late and thanking to my travel partner to insist that they must wait till my return.

Europe
38 helpful votes
“A Mediaeval Town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2007

We were travelling along the coast of Italy, when attracted by the word "mediaeval town" we decided to visit Lucca. It was summer time and we were desperate to have a dip in the sea. But none of us were disappointed with the detour to Lucca. We were told that you could see Lucca as a day trip from Florence or Pisa. In fact, we liked it so much and there was so much to see that we returned a few weeks later to spend a longer time within its mediaeval walls.

For me Lucca is one of the most wonderful towns in Italy. Its famous walls enclose a place that can be walked or cycled with ease. In fact, the best way to get your bearings is walking or cycling around the top of the walls. The centre is relatively unspoilt and is sprinkled with palaces, towers and almost countless splendid churches. The surrounding hills produce some good quality wines and arguably the finest olive oil anywhere, whilst the beaches and nightlife are but a small hop away.

2 Thank Wendy I

Been to Lucca? Share your experiences!