“Fantastic”

Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 21 June 2017 via mobile

We visited Da Pasquale for dinner on a Monday night and thoroughly enjoyed the food and service that the restaurant offered. I had the beef fillet and this was cooked to perfection. We tried to book in again for the Tuesday night but unfortunately they were closed. The manager looked after us all night long, suggesting wines that would match our meals perfectly. The staff were all extremely passionate about their jobs and went out of their way to make us all feel comfortable and welcome. Upon my return to Lucca, I will definitely be visiting this restaurant again. I look forward to seeing you all again soon.

Date of visit: June 2017
Write a reviewReviews (2,353)

Reviewed 21 June 2017

This restaurant is fantastic. Pasquale is so knowledgeable and passionate about his wines and olive oils and extremely personable making sure that each diner has an experience they won't forget. The food, both the taste and the presentation, is without fail as is the quality of the ingredients used. A place that I go back to every time I'm in Lucca. Somewhere not to miss!

Date of visit: April 2017
Reviewed 18 June 2017

I first visited this restaurant in February 2017 based on trip advisor reviews with my now husband and both sets of parents. The food is delicious but what really makes this restaurant is Pasquale himself.

Pasquale is a fantastic host. He is warm, knowledgeable and extremely passionate about his restaurant. Pasquale came over to our table almost immediately (despite a full restaurant), explaining the menu in great detail to us and helping us choose both food and wine. His passion and knowledge for olive oil and wine is second to none.

We were in the process of planning our wedding in Lucca (June this year) and when Pasquale heard this, he took real interest in helping us to choose wines for our wedding. He brought us different wines and Proseccos he thought suitable, for us to try. When we couldn't get a taxi at the end of the night he even offered to drive us home!

We contacted Pasquale on our return to the UK and to cut a long story short, Pasquale ended up supplying all our wine and Prosecco for our wedding in June. He even came to the venue to deliver it to us.

A few days before the wedding we had booked a table for 20 to eat. But to the larger number of us Pasquale arranged a tasting menu for us all, paired with different wines. Wow wow wow, the food was amazing. All our guests were blown away by the standard of the food and at a fraction of the price you would pay in the UK it was also fabulous value.

Pasquale you are a true Italian gentleman and I have no doubt we will come back to your restaurant in the future.

Date of visit: February 2017
Reviewed 15 June 2017

I'm always balanced and fair in my reviews on TripAdvisor, and I really hate giving 'poor' as a 'score', but our experience at Da Pasquale really didn't live up to expectations.

I visited with my husband and two of our friends during a long weekend in Lucca. When we arrived, there was no warmth in the welcome by a member of the waiting staff and we were surprised to be lead out the back of the restaurant and into the rear courtyard which had been covered to an open air dining room - thus doubling the capacity of the restaurant. And this, I fear, is where it went wrong as the kitchen is tiny and the whole evening felt very much as though both the kitchen and staff were playing a constant game of trying to keep up.

We were amused by the rapidity with which our bread basket was constantly refilled - despite it never actually being empty. Likewise, the bottled water, which was changed five or six times with over half the bottle still left. Those two little things made us chuckle, however, and aren't a complaint.

However, the service was haphazard. I think perhaps because we ordered 3 x primi and 1 x antipasti, one of our party was left sitting waiting for their food on both courses. The same thing happened with the secondi as we'd ordered 3 x secondi and 1 x primi. It took a long time for the missing plate to appear.

I really enjoyed my sesame crusted pork, but my fellow diners reported their food as simply 'OK'. The caponata was VERY heavy on the sweet and sour - more akin to Hong Kong-style vegetables than the traditional Sicilian dish.

The wine we'd ordered was the final bottle of its type, which wasn't communicated until we'd ordered a second bottle. At this point, Pasquale recommended a different wine - which was 20 euros more expensive, but he insisted we have it for the same price, which was good of him.

The lengthy waiting time was exacerbated by the fact that we had four different waiting staff - there didn't seem any real cohesion or consistency among the team at all. Plus, there were very few smiles and no engagement or conversation. We had to call a member of waiting staff whenever we wanted to ask for something - no-one came by the table to ask if our food was OK which, after all the attention on the bread and water front, was surprising!

I really hate to sound like a grouch, because there are far, far worse things going on in the world than a disappointing dinner during a weekend away in a truly beautiful place like Lucca. Perhaps it was our own fault for building the experience up in our minds: as (then) the no. 1 rated restaurant in Lucca, we were just expecting something special - to be made to feel welcome, to experience really tasty, beautifully cooked food (the food wasn't necessarily "bad", it was just rather average) and not to have to repeatedly attract the attention of the waiting staff for extra cutlery.

I think Pasquale himself knew this particular night wasn't his best. He was running around all over the place - even though there were plenty of staff on duty. He did his best to make us happy with a complimentary bottle of wine, and even insisted on free desserts which we had said weren't necessary - however, he didn't actually engage us in conversation at all. He was clearly very busy, and quite rattled, but he gabbled at us, rather than asked us how we were.

I know I'm in a minority, and I can see from the reviews that there are many, many others who have had incredible experiences. I just feel that, by effectively doubling the size of the restaurant, neither the kitchen, nor the waiting staff could cope.

The food wasn't exceptional or anything truly special. I felt the menu prices were expensive for what was actually presented, too.

I visit Lucca around four or five times a year, and I would return to Da Pasquale - perhaps in the winter months when the additional capacity wouldn't be an issue. In fact, the first time I tried to eat at the restaurant, they were fully booked. It was a rainy Monday night in December 2016, and Pasquale insisted we have a complimentary glass of prosecco before venturing back out into the rain. On that first meeting, he was so engaging, even showing us around the restaurant and the kitchen.

I really want to like this restaurant, and hope to be proven wrong on a second visit.

Date of visit: May 2017
1  Thank Kirsty M
Reviewed 14 June 2017

Everything about this visit was absolutely perfect. Pasquale is the consummate host and the food was just amazing.

I had the raviolis with truffles based on another TripAdvisor review and it was a heavenly choice. My husband had the tuna and it was just perfect.

I can't say enough good things about this restaurant, the food, or the owner.

It is necessary to make reservations and it is very obvious as to why.

Date of visit: June 2017