“Overlooked by many, but a real treat”

Puccini e la sua Lucca International Permanent Festival
Ranked #2 of 144 things to do in Lucca
More attraction details
Owner description: The only festival dedicated to Giacomo Puccini in his native city, Lucca. And the only PERMANENT FESTIVAL in the world, with concerts and events every day of the year, at 19hrs.AND EVERY EVENING WITH VARIED PROFESSIONAL INTERPRETERS AND PROGRAMS For detailed information and programs, please visit our official website
Reviewed 30 August 2017

There are Puccini concerts every night in the church of San Giovianni in Lucca. Tickets are 20 Euros and worth every penny. We attended an evening when there was a great tenor and a superb soprano. The ticket office in the church is open daily, and concerts begin at 7 PM and last about an hour. The evening we attended was a Tuesday and the seating was almost all taken. We arrived about 20 minutes early and were in the third row. The piano player also had a solo. Very entertaining, even if you're not an opera fan. A little different experience, but one worth having.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,161)

Reviewed 28 August 2017 via mobile

Wow! I can't say enough about this. If you appreciate music you must make a point of allowing one hour of your evening to watch this. Incredible!

Reviewed 28 August 2017

I highly recommend you spend an evening listening to these amazingly talented performers taking part in the Puccini Festival. I read one terrible review from a few weeks back which made me doubt the quality, but they couldn't have been more wrong. I persuaded my husband and two teenage sons that spending an evening listening to some of Puccini's opera in the city of Puccini's birth would be wonderful and I was right. We saved this treat for the last night of our Florence, Pisa and Lucca trip. The setting is a beautiful church, buying tickets is easy, you can book in advance or buy tickets on the door from an hour before the performance. There are different themes each evening, we enjoyed a selection from Puccini and Verdi. The pianist was incredible and the tenor and baritone both truly talented. It was professional, not touristy or cheesy at all. It only lasts an hour with a short break half way. It moved me to tears and I've never really been a big opera fan. My husband and both teenage sons loved it and being in Italy to experience our first 'proper' bit of opera was something I don't think we will ever forget.

Reviewed 27 August 2017

This type of event could become too long, too touristy and gimmicky but it is not like that at all; indeed it is the perfect length so that one doesn't become too cold in the large church, bored by the opera or desperate to get out for dinner, they have got it about right. And an evening of opera in the birthplace of Puccini is a fitting way to spend time in Lucca!

andrea c, Direttore generale at Puccini e la sua Lucca International Permanent Festival, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2017

Dear Sir
just a quick line to tell you how much we have appreciated your comment.
For the very first time in 14 years, somebody was able to summarize in 5 lines the reasons of our success. A most remarkable deed!
This means we were right and this is the right path to follow if we really want to carry on giving a great Puccini experience to so many hundreds of thousands of people around the World.
Thank you for the time you dedicated to us.
Best regards

PUCCINI E LA SUA LUCCA
international festival
THE CHAIRMAN
Prof. Andrea Colombini

Reviewed 18 August 2017 via mobile

Since we were staying in the birthplace of Puccini we decided to go to a recital! We were not disappointed! The talented performers , 2 male soloists and a super talented pianist were fantastic! The acoustics were amazing within the beautiful Church! I highly recommend! It was exceptionally hot when we visited so I would advise cold water to be taken! This is a once in a life time experience! Thank you for a wonderful performance!