“Simple, cheap good italian fare”

Ristorante Osteria Del Mare
Ranked #37 of 699 Restaurants in Livorno
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 December 2015 via mobile

Very good italian food for its price. Ordered the mussels and ended up ordering extra set. Do try the grilled squid as well.

Date of visit: December 2015

Reviewed 2 September 2015

We went here after looking at the Lonely Planet reviews and it was pretty incredible. The restaurant decor is pretty traditional with lots of paintings and sea related items around. The staff were great but unfortunately we don't speak much Italian and I don't think they had many English speakers in, but despite that we managed without much trouble.

I had an entire fish with a salad, while my husband had clam pasta followed by the largest plate of fried seafood I have ever seen! It was all really good, and the clam pasta was one of the best things I have ever eaten (and I don't like clams).

Even the prosecco was delicious! And it all cost under 60 euros!

Would recommend if you are near by :)

Date of visit: August 2015
1  Thank AMetcalf1
Reviewed 21 June 2015

This was my second time at this restaurant, and it won't be my last. If you love fish and other "frutti di mare", this is the place for you. I go there specifically for the Cacciucco (kah-choo'-co), but I understand from other reviews that their other dishes are just as amazing.

Cacciucco is a fish stew made up of whatever the fishermen bring in that day. Mussels, shrimp, scampi, baby octopus, calamari, fish, all with a beautiful tomato based slightly spicy broth. A piece of bread is placed in the bottom of the bowl to soak up some of the flavors. It is a generous serving, and although it goes well with the house red (yes, red), I think beer would also be good.

The service is good, and the hosts are very pleasant. I also HIGHLY recommend the Ponce Livornese (pon'-chay lee-vor-nae'-zay) for after dinner. It is a hot coffee drink with rum, brandy, sugar, and a piece of lemon peel. A wonderful finish.

They are open for lunch, but I recommend you be there by 1230 as it fills up fast. They do take reservations, but for lunch they are only open until around 2:00. I am sorry, I forgot to get the hours for dinner. They are closed on Thursdays.

Address
Borgo Dei Cappuccini 5
57126 Livorno, Italy

Phone
0586 881027

Date of visit: June 2015
1  Thank schafferde
Reviewed 13 October 2014

This restaurant is close to the port of Livorno. We were on a cruise ship which stopped there and we saw all the good reviews and decided to try it. It is not inexpensive, but seafood is not cheap nowadays. We ordered grilled fish which they sell by weight. The décor is all nautical, and it looks like a port restaurant of years ago. Fish is fresh and well prepared. Husband is the chef and wife is the cashier. Waiters are amiable and helpful. Good place!

Date of visit: October 2014
Reviewed 8 October 2014

If you really into good, fresh Italian seafood, this is the place to go. They even bring the fish for you to choose! We were on a cruise ship and were eager to sample a good spaghetti a la frutta de mare, and that is what we ordered. Delicious!

Date of visit: September 2014