“wonderfull again”
Review of Hotel Burchianti

Hotel Burchianti
Ranked #168 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 23 November 2011

we stayed for 7 nights last week (2 nights last nov). the hotel is a gem. the entire staff, mario, la signora and the others are a pleasure and go out of their way to please you. great location and frescos on the ceilings.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 November 2011

We just returned from 3 weeks in Italy, with the Burchianti our first stop upon arrival in Florence. I always seek out small boutique hotels and this one is a perfect example of a non-chain place to stay. The hotel itself is clean and comfortable, and Mario the concierge is a true gift to travelers. He recommended places to eat and museum exhibits to see, gave us a map and helped orient us to the neighborhood, and made calls and reservations for us. We explained that we were only staying two nights, then going away for a week, and then returning to Florence but staying in an apartment for a week--and Mario offered to help us with reservations and information upon our return to Florence, even though we would not be staying at the hotel again.

The hotel offers a nice breakfast with great coffee, and the building itself is really wonderful if you like old palatial spaces. Our room was the studio apartment on the third floor. It had great views of the city, a small kitchen, and was probably much larger than the other rooms. The trade offs were:
1. No frescoes on the ceiling, which I would have liked
2. Elevator service did not go to the floor our room was on--it was sort of like a lovely, nicely renovated garret. This was important mostly for our arrival and departure, but we needed to lug our baggage up a narrow flight of stairs to our room.
3. Wifi service seemed to be better downstairs than in our room, where we ideally would have liked to access it.
4. There was not much space for storing our belongings....no closet, just, if memory serves me well, one dresser and a desk.
I don't think that any of these were deal breakers. However, on my next trip to Florence, I will be sure to ask for a downstairs room so that I can see what that experience is like as well.

Room Tip: When booking, if you don't want the studio apartment, be sure to mention that you want a room ne...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 October 2011

I stayed in a single room in this hotel. Be aware that you will not have a room that has a fresco if you stay in a single room. The photos of the rooms that are provided by the hotel do not depict their single rooms.

When I arrived I was initially given an unacceptable room. These were the problems:

The room had no proper window. It is true that there are glass panels, covered by wooden shutters, in the door to the room. What I mean is that there are windows, of a sort, literally in the middle of the room's front door. These “windows” look out into the hotel's hallway, as opposed to the outside of the building like a real window. So, if you open the wooden shutters to reveal these “windows”, you will not have any privacy. Opening the shutters will mean that anyone in the hallway will be able to see your entire room and whatever you are doing. There really isn't any natural light. There is no natural light because there are no real windows, and by “real windows” I mean windows that open to the outdoors.

This room was a strange narrow rectangular shape with single beds against the wall. It really did look like they'd actually converted a broom closet into a room. No windows, narrow rectangular shape, I really wouldn't be surprised if this room actually used to be a closet or store room of some kind. In the bathroom they had a very strange hairdryer. Unlike every other wall hair dryer that I've ever seen, this one had a nozzle like a vacuum cleaner.

In my opinion, it is totally unacceptable to expect someone to pay to stay in that room and the owners/manager should know better. It was terrible and the room should not be used to house guests.

After I saw this room, I asked to be changed to a room with a window. The man who I asked was not the manager (a middle aged man). Rather, I asked a much younger man who I saw working in the hotel a few times during my stay. This young man was so lovely, genuine and very helpful. He moved me to a better room (room no.7) and this room had a window that opened out to the courtyard. This new room had pros and cons:

Pros: The internet connection worked and the connection speed was good enough. Also, the double bed was very comfortable and I slept well. The water pressure in the shower was fine and the wall hairdryer had a normal nozzle, unlike the one in the room that I was initially given.

Cons: The room really needs a fresh coat of paint. The walls are grotty with many scuff marks. Also, there were no free power points in the room. In order to use my laptop, I had to unplug the fridge. The power point in the bathroom is a low voltage outlet for electric razors, so it is not an option. For me, the lack of free power points was a problem. The safe in the room didn't work. Another problem was the minibar. When I arrived it was not fully stocked. It only had a bottle of water and two cans of soft drink. I drank the bottle of water but no new bottles were put inside. The mini bar wasn't restocked at all during my stay. So, if you want a cold bottle of water, make sure that you buy some yourself and put them in the fridge.

As for the hotel in general, the foyer is nice, with a high roof. The woman who makes coffee at breakfast is really nice, as is the young man who moved me to the second room.

It is hard for me to rate this hotel as “poor” since some of the people working there seemed very kind. The reason why I'm doing this is because it simply wasn't good value for money and while the second room was much better than the first, it still had problems. It wouldn't take much effort to improve the hotel so that solo/business travellers could have a very good experience, comparable to the experiences that are discussed in the favourable reviews on this site.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't get the room with no window!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank Italy_Autumn
Reviewed 6 October 2011

We were a bit puzzled when searching for the hotel to find a name plate (among others) and a door bell to request for the opening of a huge gate in a residential building. We were expecting a reception hall on the ground floor ! Like all hotels. Second surprise when we were given a tiny room without any window (I did request for a quiet room !) To move to the bathroom I had to walk sideways as the bed took almost the full width of the room ! Mario, the Manager, promised to sift us to another room the next day. Which he did ! And the room was to our expectation as we saw on the internet. Room with 18th century frescos ! And clean. Mario is a marvel, extremely helpful and always smiling inspite of the fact that he is on duty from 7h45 to 19h00 everyday Monday to Sunday. We were tipped on the best way to visit the surroundings ( Bus for Lucca; train for Pisa; Bus for Sienne) He even booked our musuems before our arrival so as to avoid the 4 hours queue ! Any problem ? Super Mario is there ! We were treated not like a room number but more as visiting friends. Breakfast, however, at 8h00 is a bit too late. And some music (medieval so as to go with the building which is historical and dates back to the medieval era) in the background during breakfast would have been a plus.

We went around for dinner each night and have been trying several before we discovered one marvellous trattoria "Du Guido" nearby on a side road (Via Faenza). Always full as compared to the others.

The hotel is walking distance to all the main attractions of Firenze. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Specifically request for the room with frescos.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank clearsea51
Reviewed 24 September 2011

My wife and I spent two nights in Florence for our honeymoon. We had originally booked a room at the Hotel Centrale. Upon arriving we were told that the hotel was having problems and that they booked us room at the Hotel Burchianti. Skepticism and fear quickly turned into delight once we met Mario the hotel manager. Great staff, great location, and the room we stayed in had beautiful murals painted on the walls and ceiling. We felt like we had set up camp in the Sistine Chapel. Breakfast was average, but that was really the only thing about the hotel that was not above and beyond. Also, the cleanest hotel we stayed in during our two week trip. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone.

• Stayed: September 2011