“A Moroccan Delight in the heart of Florence”
Review of Il Mago Merlino

Il Mago Merlino
Ranked #955 of 2,885 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: International
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Santa Croce
Description: Mago Merlino Tea House Since 1977. Historical literary tea-house, with oriental decoration, warm and colourful. A jump into the one thousand and one night dimension. Tea cocktails, organic spiced food, and a selection of tea cakes, in a unique atmosphere with lounge music.
Reviewed 16 June 2015

I visited Mago Merlino tea house in early May. What a delight here in Florence, the aromas, senses and atmosphere I was transported to Morocco in moments. A great place for aperitivo, cocktails and exotic teas and a party! I was traveling alone and I was made to feel really welcome by a charming host Rocco. Rocco introduced me to other guests and gave me lots of ideas for places to visit off the tourist trail. Fab

Roquigno, Proprietario at Il Mago Merlino, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2015

Ciao Debby!

Thank for your nice review!

It was a pleasure to have you as a guest in my Tea House and that you felt comfortable and relaxed.

I hope you will come back one day and please tell your friends in London about this "oriental tea-station" :-)

With joy,

Rocco Iacopini

Reviewed 1 January 2015 via mobile

This place was recommended by a friend of mine who comes here quite often. I was greeted at the door by the owen, whose name is Rocco. He explained to me how he set up this establishment himself, 37 years ago and gave me a very good explanation of how the place works.
Walking in I was immediately captivated by the relaxing and soothing atmosphere. The music is soft, the lighting is quote dark (which suits the environment) but what's really amazing is the smell from the all the tea varieties floating around in the rooms.
There are two rooms separate to each other which can be rented for private events.
I firstly picked a tea from the menu called Elisir; Green tea with honey and orange leaves extract. Subtitled in italian " A liquid dream "...a perfect description for what it was.
I followed on with a Chai tea, very sweet but very soft. I then decided to get off the menu and trust the owner with one of his personal mixes; Cidrin, Mint, Nanà, Red rose petals, Greek Sage and Acacia Honey. A truly mesmorising tea, a great way to top off this beautiful experience. Will be back very soon!!!

Reviewed 4 November 2014

Much more than a tea house, a visit to Il Mago Merlino is a unique and magical experience not to be missed. The only subtle thing about it is its location. Hidden away on a quiet street, with a discreet entry way and admittance granted only through a buzzer system. Once entrance is permitted, there is an explosion of colors and fragrances. Rocco, the owner, is a charismatic, multi-lingual wizard, well versed in teas and aroma therapies. He bakes various organic tidbits to serve with his seemingly endless varieties of teas. Engage him in conversation to learn off the beaten track places to see in Florence. If you are lucky, he will share with you his tarot or tantric cards and read your palm as you sit on floor cushions and learn the art of relaxation, Italian style. Time takes on a different dimension when you are there, so be prepared- the shop may not be open until later than the posted hours- 9:00pm or later is a favored time to arrive, although he is often there earlier. The shop is filled with unique treasures from around the world and Rocco is truly the closest thing to Merlin the wizard, reincarnated. Enjoy the experience and make it a tradition to visit every time you find yourself in Florence. I have done so and I'm always pleased to see that time stands still in this magical world.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

I "happened" to meet the owner of Il Mago Merlino, Rocco Iacopini a few weeks ago in Marrakech, Morocco airport while waiting for a plane back to Italy. Our plane's boarding departure was not announced well and we ended up missing our flight. We were stranded in Marrakech together for 2 days and I had some of the most wonderful experiences of my life, due to the graciousness and generosity of Rocco. During that time, I learned all about his teahouse, Mago Merlino and could not wait to visit this icon that was created by Rocco 37 years ago.
I was able to visit Mago Merlino this past weekend and it is delightful! It has an incredible beauty and energy. Rocco is definitely the charisma and the energy behind this magical place- you simply feel great , the moment he welcomes you in. The teas are exquisite, the homemade biscotti Rocco lovingly prepares and combined with this exotic environment, one is transported to another time and place. It is hard not to feel happy and cared for upon leaving Mago Merlino -, spirits uplifted, palates satiated. This is most certainly a unique place to come to have an adventure out of the ordinary.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

Hi had the pleasure to discover the Mago merlino Tea house many years ago. it is a wonderfull place to sip the most exquisite teas and lovely biscuits and to hold nice conversation with your friends. The music is soothing and not too loud there is intresting new flavours and funky furniture. I just love to go there on my own or with friends and I always found a lovely international athmosphere. Rocco the owner is charming and intresting.