“fabulously quaint and a short walk to gay night spots”

Hotel Il Bargellino
Ranked #120 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 22 October 2010

I was lucky enough to stay stay at Hotel Bargellino for one night. I had no reservation and just happened upon it by chance. I would have stayed another night but they were completely booked for the following night.

Carmel and Pino were wonderful hosts who made me feel welcome from the minute I arrived until after I checked out. They gave me the only available room, a double, for the single rate because i was traveling alone. Although the room wasn't made up they let me store my luggage while I went out in the city. When I was checking out they told me I could store my luggage in the room while I enjoyed one last day in the city.

The double I got at the single rate had a view of Via Guelpha and was nicely decorated as well as clean and comfortable. There was a sink with mirror in the room but a toilet and shower were shared down the hall, and were kept very clean. There is also a beautiful rooftop terrace (where I ate breakfast bought at the open air market within walking distance) awhere I got to meet the bird and cat that add to the homey quality of this hotel. Some street noise from Guelpha could be heard in the eveing but not enough to be a bother.

The hotel is in a convenient location as well. It's close to the train station as well as to most tourist destinations in the city, but not a busy street were there is a lot of street noise. It's also down the street from Bar 85 and the Florence Sauna, neither of which I stopped at while I was at the hotel, but I had such a hard time finding gay spots in Italy that I felt it was worth mentioning.

I highly recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 21 October 2010

We stayed just for the one night (sadly they were full the night before), the host Carmel upgraded us FOC to a superb upper floor room with great bed and tasteful art and fittings. The rooftop courtyard terrace was a delight, nice to be able to relax in the evening sun with a book and a glass of chianti. Her delightful pet parrot and the odd cat just added to the ambience of this place......Go and stay there, it's right near the centre of Florence, you'll be well looked after.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 October 2010

I went to Italy for my second time in September. This time was better than the first. I stayed at the Il Bargelino and it was the best thing I could have done. The owners Carmel and Pinot were amazing! They provide all the conforts of home. Carmel was nice enough to provide directions, places to go, she recommended good resturants, tours and much much more. Pinot was extremely hospitable, as well as a great artist. He has many of his amazing pieces of art work covering the walls inside of this very affordable bed & breakfast. The prices are cheap cheap cheap! With rooms full of color that are absolutely adorable and quaint.
This place is great to come back to when you've spent your day traveling, or it's just as marvelous to hang out on the roof deck and enjoy the fresh air, along with great company. Carmel and Pinot are never to busy to entertain, provide information or just to talk to.
I have stayed in expensive five star hotels while in Italy and have learned the Il Barargellino by far is more superior!!! I recommend the Il Bargellino and will be sure to stay there many more times in the future!!!!! Thank you for such a pleasurable stay!!!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 October 2010

My (now) husband and I went to Florence to get married at the Palazzo Vecchio, and stayed in Il Barellino. What can I say? It was like the trips people make in movies, where the accomodations are far more charming than the main character should be able to afford, in an amazing place, full of people who become your friends. We arrived, and the hotel was lovely, full of art and light and flowers. The room was beautiful, with an old world feeling that we loved (while still very comfortable to wimpy American travelers). We had doors that opened out onto a lovely terrace, and a little black cat (whose name I could never pronounce, so we just called her Sylvestro, like the owners did) who would come into our room if we let her and cuddle on the bed. I love cats, and this made it feel so much like home to me. They also had a parrot, Leopoldo, who was hilarious, though he only has eyes for Pino. ;)

On top of this, Carmel and Pino, the owners, were fabulous. They offered tons of information about what to see, offered to procure advance tickets to the museums to save us the long lines, and when we asked for advice on finding a translator for our wedding (which was required), Carmel not only offered to be our translator, but she found witnesses for us among the hotel guests, took our wedding pictures, and she and Pino threw us a party that night, inviting the other guests and other people they knew who were likewise super nice, super interesting, and helped make our wedding a dream come true. I actually cried when we had to leave, and have recommended them to absolutely everyone. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 October 2010

I had the best time, at this hotel. The location to the train station was great. You could walk everywhere. We did day trips to Rome, Pisa and Venice. Lots of fun at this family hotel. Cats cute, parrot is a riot, he says some italian words, it cracked us up. Would stay again. Can't wait to go back. Hopefully Nov. I work for an airline, so its easy to swap off time and travel this time of year.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends