“Six Nights at Hotel Il Bargellino”

Hotel Il Bargellino
Ranked #114 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Comments, Hotel Il Bargelino, Florence.

I have been looking at some pictures of Florence that I took on our trip to Italy last year. My wife and I tried out the advice in Rick Steves’ guide book, which recommends seeing Italy “through the back door. ” That is, we avoided organized tour groups and stays in major hotels, both of which appear to insulate American visitors from real contact with the Italian people. We found Hotel Il Bargellino in Florence to be ideal for our kind of travel. While we found all the small hotels where we stayed in Italy to be friendly and helpful, Carmel and Pino Coppola, the proprietors of Hotel Il Bargellino, REALLY stood out. Those two are absolute gems. Since Pino is Italian, and Carmel, being from Massachusetts, SPEAKS AMERICAN ENGLISH, they fit together beautifully!

Whenever we needed computer help Carmel was right there to get it for us. Even before we left the USA, she sent us an email, offering to get for us the advance reservations we would need for the Uffizi gallery and so on. Also she speedily cleared up some nagging questions I had about just how exactly we should proceed after we left Florence. Pino’s contribution on the other hand was to keep everything in the hotel running smoothly, and to be really great help with personal services as needed. He would do things like emergency mending, and even ironing! for guests in need of it.

Hotel Il Bargelino is old, but clean and nicely furnished, with polished marble floors. The outdoor patio in back of the second floor is a particularly good place to sit and relax in the evening, and admire their collection of statuary from a century or two ago. Here we could meet other visitors, and chat with Leopoldo, (the hotel parrot.) Altogether Hotel Il Bargelino does give one the feeling of being plopped down in the middle of the “real Italy”!.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DelJohnson508

Reviewed 18 February 2012

We stayeed here in November and all I can say is PERFECT! Easy walk from the train station and all the sights. Carmel and Pino are the best hosts and the roof-top terrace is fabulous. I just recommended this hotel to a friend who will be visiting in May and we will return on our next visit.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PatchesNewKent
Reviewed 27 November 2011

This is my third stay at Hotel II Bargelino and I am never disappointed. Carmel and Pino have welcomed myself and my family each time with their kind hospitality and great company.
They are always willing to assist with anything you need and are open to you sharing their lovely rooftop.
The hotel is very well located centrally to all the sites of Florence, its a brisk walk to the station or bus depot which is ideal for day trips to Tuscany and Cinque Terra.
The rooms are clean and looked after every day. We love having access to the rooftop garden from our room.
Wouldn't stay anywhere else in Florence.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Melissa A
Reviewed 19 November 2011

We stayed for a week at Il Bargellino in October and loved it. The owner's were very helpful and the property was clean and the beds comfortable. The highlight was the rooftop patio where we spent time every evening with fellow travellers over a bottle of wine. We had a double room with a full bathroom and thought that the value for the money we paid was excellent. If you want a cheaper stay get a room without an in-room bathroom, the common bathrooms were really nice and still afforded a lot of privacy.

The location was really good for us. Close to all the museums in the centre of old Florence and handy to grocery stores, laudromat, restaurants, etc. Great hosts!!

Room Tip: Rooms on the patio are quieter as they are away from traffic. If the people on the patio in the eve...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PatN77
Reviewed 16 November 2011

Comfort, convenient, economical, safe, clean and walking distance from (the city center, train station, supermarket, restaurants, bars, museums, etc) ...something all tourist look for when travelling and here we were able to find all of them in one place. I have stayed here other times alone, this time I was there with my partner and he loved it as much as I do. Thank you for the great stay and we are looking forward to our next visit to Florence and our next stay at Hotel Il Bargellino.

Michele and Edna