“charming, comfortable, central and fantastic value for money”

Hotel Locanda Orchidea
Ranked #202 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 9 March 2010

I've stayed at Hotel Orchidea before - this time, I persuaded other friends to stay with me and they were not disappointed. Beds are extremely comfortable (my friends commented on this to me as well) and the rooms are appealingly decorated. The rooms and the bathrooms are absolutely spotless. Staff are helpful and friendly and the location could not be better - a stone's throw from the Duomo and other central locations. Some of the rooms face a garden and one of them has a terrace. I found it very quiet (my room faced the garden) although my friends said they occasionally heard noise from the street. You do have to share bathrooms (there are sinks in the rooms) which puts some people off but I have not found it a problem either time that I stayed. Breakfast is not included either - I went to a cafe just around the corner (there are several). That being said, I also cannot think of anywhere else in Florence that is such good value for money (and that offers decently priced single rooms). I plan on staying there again when I go back to Florence (which I definitely will).

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Hotel Locanda Orchidea

Reviewed 20 December 2009

Handy location. Less than 10 minute walks to both the to the Duomo and Santa Croce. Within walking distance of the train station.

The rooms at the front can be very noisy at night, but the rooms at the back are nice and peaceful.

Good basic hotel, kept clean and good value for money for a central hotel in Florence.

Staff very friendly.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 October 2009

My boyfriend and I spent 3 nights at Locanda Orchidea and we would recommend it to any budget traveller passing by Florence. Rooms are clean and nice, location is great and the overall value is really good. If you are a couple, ask for room 4 - not near the shared bathroom and with a window to the quiet garden. Enjoy !

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2009

This hotel is at the centre of all the sights. It was easy to walk to from the station if you haven't a lot of luggage. The rooms have high ceilings and are very 'Italian' not your normal sort of hotel. The rooms are all on the first floor with a communal reception area with lots of books and magazines to read and a kettle with tea and coffee available FOC.
The owners live upstairs. The downside was that there were only two bathrooms for seven bedrooms but that didn't cause us a problem. There is a sink in each room. It gave me the feeling that I was visiting an Italian relative. Miranda was very friendly and helpful. If you would like to get away from the impersonal hotel feel than this is for you.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2009

This was one of the NICEST hostels we stayed at on our 23 day backpacking trip through Europe. The rooms were clean, spacious and had high ceilings. The ENGLISH SPEAKING staff was VERY helpful!! They scheduled tours for us and got us tickets to museums. They even recommended a dentist when my sister got a tooth infection. There is a cool Irish Pub outside along with 2 sandwich shops nearby and I nice restuarant and outdoor fruit market. Great place for travelers on a budget.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends