“Rooms that face the street are no sleep areas!”

Hotel Locanda Orchidea
Ranked #198 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Lovely place. Great location. If you want to sleep in the rooms facing the street wear some very good ear-plugs and get home late. There's a popular bar right outside which is open to 2.30am and had lots of loud, drunk, young tourists sitting outside talking at volume. The street also has fantastic acoustics so it amplifies the sound.

It looked like a quiet street from the outside but believe me it went all night. After the bar closed people wandered up and down all night. We also stayed mid-week so it wasn't a weekend thing. Even with ear-plugs I didn't sleep much.

Nice room, nice staff, good price, pity about the noise.

Room Tip: Don't get a room facing the street!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank artvoid
There are newer reviews for Hotel Locanda Orchidea

Reviewed 3 August 2012

This was a terrible experience in terms of the accommodations. The service was fine.

The room was tiny, which was not really a problem, but the door was glass with a flimsy lace curtain. Therefore, any time anyone turned on the light in the hall, it shone through my room and woke me up.

I also had a large window in my room. I reluctantly shut it to keep out mosquitoes and noise, which also kept out fresh air -- but it didn't actually reduce the noise. I don't know how a hotel in an empty alley can be so noisy, but I was on the "second" floor (that's third for Americans) and I could hear every word of some people sitting in a cafe somewhere.

However, Miranda was nice and reserved a taxi for me.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Stephanie T
Reviewed 20 July 2012

I will admit that one of the major reasons that I booked this hotel is because I speak no Italian and I knew the hotel was run by a native English speaker. I was really pleasantly surprised by how nice the accommodations were. The biggest downside was no a/c but our room did have a powerful ceiling fan. With that fan dialed up to max it was like being in a wind tunnel and made the heat tolerable even during the middle of the day. The hotel was very quiet while we were there. We did not even see another guest until the night before we left. I remember comments about the staff not being present all the time. While this was true, they were very efficient and the owner lives on the floor above the hotel and was available as needed. The security was very good in this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 July 2012

I have stayed here 2 years in a row and this will be my third. I have no complaints whatsoever and the location is perfect - a good 10 to 15 minutes walk from the train station, 5 minutes from most attractions in florence. rooms are clean and my favorite pary was waking up gazing out the window to the street below - felt very fiorentina!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank cynzu2
Reviewed 1 June 2012

I have stayed at the L'ocanda Orchidea for perhaps a week almost every year for the last ten or more. My only regret is that as I now live in Siena I rarely have the need for a bed in Firenze. The location is very central, a fact which is, mercifully, not reflected in the price. Other reviewers have noted that the rooms on the street side of the building (all are one floor up) can be a bit noisy but generally ear plugs are only needed as a last resort. The garden rooms, overlooking the quaint old courtyard at the back are certainly to be preferred (so book early...). The atmosphere is one of quiet, restrained old-world charm. No mini-bars and multi-channel satellite TV, though there is a communal TV and a fridge; also a small library and a wealth of local information. And you can make your own tea or coffee whenever you wish. Miranda, Sylvana and the other staff are always helpful and willingly assist with museum bookings etc. as well as offering general advice on anything from the best places to eat to where to find medical care. If you preference is for no-frills, unpretentious accommodation with a friendly atmosphere and a general ambiance of calm you will not beat the Orchidea. Now that I need it less I can risk recommending it without worrying that it will always be booked-up when I want to go!

Room Tip: If available, choose a room at the back
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo