“A Twist With Strong Endorsement”

Hotel Orto De Medici
Ranked #41 of 409 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Oddly, this might have turned out different...I give the hotel and its management a big 5 star recommendation after a trip that started out with a potential problem. I arrived after a grueling business trip and a 5-day conference in Italy, looking for a little relaxation in a city i had never visited. Walking into the hotel I learned the hotel was overbooked--I was told that for the first night of my stay I would be put in a room with a single bed, not the double room I had reserved. I was not happy--a single bed in a cramped room is not a recipe for sound sleep...at least unless you are 10-years old.

BUT...I give credit to the hotel managers for agreeing to my request that I not be charged for that night. And on their own, they upgraded me for the remaining 2 nights to a deluxe room AND, on their own accord, gave me not one bottle but 2 bottles of wine-champagne (one put in the single room and another waiting for me when I moved to the other room). In addition, when I had to recharge my pre-paid mobile, the young woman at the desk helped out by calling Vodaphone and entering the numbers for the re-charge card (btw, thanks Vodaphone for the poor service--you would think they would offer other language options if they are in fact catering to tourists).

Lesson is this: traveling is not a perfect science. Stuff happens. Mistakes occur. The key is customer service--how does your hotel-restaurant-airline address a problem? Mostly, today's customer service is in breathtaking decline and of such poor quality (speaking as a traveler around the world for 4 decades). But, the hotel responded well, addressed the issue and overall the stay was great. I would highly recommend staying here because, if you do, you know that any problem will be handled and resolved well.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Jonathan T
gflorence, Direttore at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2012

Dear Guest,
Your review describes very accurately what happened. In Florence during your stay there was a major international conference going on and it was not easy to satisfy all the requests we received. We tried accommodating as many guests as possible aware of the compromises that sometimes must be accepted. I am happy that in the end even in your case we managed to solve the problem, although I was not present. All my staff is highly trained and I was promptly contacted with a detailed description of the situation. They have no permission at all to NOT let guests pay for stays, but, given my absence I thought it was appropriate to offer you a night even though I had never done this before. I would honestly like to say that if I had been present I would have explained to you our side of the situation trying to find a solution that would have satisfied both our needs. I'm sure we would have succeeded. I wanted to thank you for the nice words, but I also wanted to specify that we do not offer free nights to guests who complain even if they have the right to ask for it. Giving respect towards each guest and our awareness of wanting to always meet their expectations are just some of the main goals we try to reach while working, but, we must keep in mind that each situation is handled differently and the business method while devoting our time must not be confused.
Giacomo Bufalini (Manager)

Reviewed 26 April 2012

Living in Italy and being a lecturer on luxury cruise ships means I get rather spoiled.
When I go to Florence I like to have luxury surroundings but without 5 star prices. Orto dei Medici offers the best of both worlds: top level accomodations (large marble shower with powerful shower head, hip furnishings , comfy beds) set inside an elegant palazzo in central area close to San Marco (finally got to visit this time) . I've stayed in both the original building and the new annex overlooking the garden and Verrocchio fountain . Friendly breakfast staff and new lounges, free computer use are other pluses.

Room Tip: Garden view no. 80 absolute silence... only music of birds singing.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank palazzo
gflorence, Responsabile reception at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2012

Thanks for sharing your experience at the hotel with all the travellers. It is especially precious from a returning client and a person who is into the travel business like you, and I am so glad to read how you enjoyed the atmosphere, the decoration, the staff and the breakfast of the hotel.
Grazie! Francesco Bini

Reviewed 20 April 2012

Very good location, many tourist attractions just a short walking distance away. We never had to use a bus or a taxi except for the airport connection.
Nice historic building, very clean and elegant rooms (had to change the first one we've got, found it too drafty), unexpectedly wide food selection at the buffet breakfast, nice, friendly and helpful staff, very efficient breakfast team. We felt very well taken care of during the whole stay. Very nice reading room and breakfast room with a view to the wonderful garden.
On the negative side, the rooms were not very soundproof. Some of the doors were as old as the historic building itself and didn't close very well. Noises, a perfectly normal occurrence in every hotel, seemed to go through all but unfiltered.
But overall, a very pleasant stay in a wonderful city. I would highly recommend it to anyone visiting Florence!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
gflorence, Responsabile reception at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. Hearing that you felt taken care of is very nice for us! Room changes or upgrades when possible is just one of our ways of trying to satisfy our clients needs. We are glad you were satisfied! As for the unexpected noise problems, we apologize. Unfortunately in a hotel sometimes there are noisy clients.
Nicki Sciortino

Reviewed 16 April 2012

great hotel. We stayed in room 81 with a cute balcony overlooking the garden. The breakfast was great and the room was spacious with a lovely bathroom. The staff were extremely helpful .We highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LKMilwaukee
gflorence, Responsabile reception at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2012

Room 81 is one of our best rooms, with "Deluxe" style decor and the cute balcony overlooking the garden. Thanks for leaving your appreciations about the breakfast, the room and the helpful staff.
Francesco Bini

Reviewed 11 April 2012

Great location, only 4 minutes to the Duomo. Great lobby with free Wifi. Good size immaculate rooms. Friendly front desk people. When my wife took ill, they recommended a local doctor who spoke English and who was terrific to my wife. Good breakfast in a lovely setting. If I ever return to Florence, I would stay here again... thank you Hotel Orto De Medici....

Room Tip: Our 2 rooms were terrific so I suspect they all are there...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank mrfoxwoods
gflorence, Responsabile reception at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2012

Dear Sir, thanks for your message. I hope your wife recovered quickly! Glad to read how you enjoyed your stay at the hotel, includin the breakfast and the staff. Grazie!
Francesco Bini