“Our arrival in Italia - FIRENZE”

Hotel Orto De Medici
Ranked #41 of 409 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 28 October 2011

Wonderful property and hospitality at the Hotel Orte De Medici. The staff was always helpful when needed. The MAC computers and foreign keyboard in the lobby were a bit challenging however. Our room could not have been nicer. It was very much a boutique suite style like we preferred. Extremely clean, quiet and a terrific view. The hotel is located on an active street -- and if plenty of access to shops and dining very near by.
The breakfast was plentiful and staff was friendly.

Room Tip: Room 81, behind the garden, with a very nice patio and outdoor space. It was a little too chilly out...
1  Thank Donna M
gflorence, Responsabile reception at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2011

Dear Guest, thanks for your detailed review. I am sure next travellers will take advantage on your opinion.
Francesco Bini

Reviewed 27 October 2011

We've stayed in this Faaaaaaabulous Hotel earlier this month & it was Supreme! It's such a Beautiful Hotel with amazing Terraces, a Gorgeous Breakast Room that leads into the Terrace & we really hate to leave:(
The Staff at the front Desk was The Best, especially Ricardo & the two girls. They helped us so Much with our lost luggage, then one of our luggage arrived it was damaged which we had them helping us with telephoning the Airline, filling a form on line that's mainly & only in Italian etc..... It was sooo frustrating but they were there every inch of the way helping us without effort!
There was this older lady who has a smile on always, she worked at Breakfast & probably cleaned our room, she was very sweet & tried to talk to me in Italian a few time. As once I kind of made out what she was saying 'Why weren't you at Breakfast this morning?' as she was pointing up at the Breakfast room. Just Wonderful!
Another ront clerk introduced us to The Restaurant Osteria Pepo .... Honestly it's The Best Restaurant in the city & you need reservation. We would come back to Florence just to stay at Orto De Medici & going back to this Restaurant!!! Accademia Restaurant is very too but Pepo .. The food & the waiters are #1. Florence is very touristy so we found many Restaurants were good but not great. A lot were geared towards Tourists as Tourist Traps which the food were not good & pricy!
Anyhow, we really Orto De Medici & one day we'll be back.
I HIGHLY Recommend this Hotel to All My Friends & Clients & to All of you too! :D

Room Tip: I would choose a room that faces the courtyard, it's beautiful & quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends

It's our guest like you being "fabulous"! Thanks for your lovely review, I was very pleased to read you enjoyed so much your experience in Florence and expecially at the Hotel Orto de' Medici. We hope to see you back sometimes. Thank you!!

Reviewed 27 October 2011

Hotel, Lobby, Guest area and rooms are very, very nice. We booked a junior suite - like the pictures on their website - huge, nicely decorated and for italian standards very, very clean.

On the other hand there were some things we def. didn´t like:
- (situation at the) breakfast - too crowded, poor quality - it´s the first meal of the day and should be served in a relaxig atmosphere - they don´t have enough tables for all the guests - especially in the autumn and winter time when the terrace can´t be used - serving times are only from 7.30-9.30 - that´s not very comfortable

- they offer free internet which is nice, but they should clean up the keyboards - there were white (in the past) - right now they are grey/ black

- the reception staff was always very bored - it seems that they are students who spent their time there to earn some money - they are not very interested in guests and their needs

- if they take money from guests all over the world they should also offer some german and english TV-channels - if you spend nearly one week in the city you like to hear some news or watch a movie in your mother-language when you return to the hotel in the night - to have 40 channels only in italian is not very helpful

- we ordered museum-tickets via email with the reception-desk - they were not there when we want them

- sparkling wine was promissed when I booked the room online (especially it was the suite), but we never get it

Florence is absolutely a walkable city - we never used a bus or taxi (only to get from and to the airport - standard fee of 20 Euro).
If you leave the hotel to the left, straight on, you´ll reach a small supermarket in around 4 minutes where you can get bottled water for only 30 Cents - so you don´t have to buy it for 3 Euro - what they charge at the tourist-points...
They also offer very good tuscany ham, sausage and cheese - as an opportunity for a delicious and cheap dinner.

We tried the Hard Rock Cafe (10 minutes from hotel), the bar at the Savoy/ Rocco Forte hotel and the restaurant at the Accademia (2 minutes from hotel) - all of them were very good - for sure a bit expensive, but absolutely worth the money.

Don´t waste your time at the restaurant near the post office - it looks very nice, but you pay too much for nothing and bad service.
The worst experience we had with the "Gilli Cafe" - they ignored us for 20 minutes when we get a table - so we left this place!!!

The museum card which you can buy at the tourist-information is very good - valid for 3 days, 50 euro and you can visit nearly every museum without waiting in line - very convenient.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank shopgirl007
gflorence, Responsabile reception at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2011

Dear Madame, thanks for leaving the review. I am glad you enjoyed the hotel and the room style, and the cleaning service too. I am sorry we made some human mistakes with your stay, but if you please had told us before you left, like of the missing bottle, we had offered you two of them for free, just to apologize. Sorry!

As regards the breakfast we are currently evaluating to get a cover for the first half of the terrace in order to make it available in wintertime too. So thanks for your opinion. As regards the variety of food we are also developing some new ideas, but expectations are high, and as far as the preset situation, we cannot able to offer hot food.

As regards the keyboards, the solution is not as easy as you propose: as you can imagine they are used a lot everyday and Apple makes them quite fragile, so cleaning them with products may also mean to break them.

For the TVs in Tuscany we are getting very close to the switch to the Digital TV, so it was inconvenient until now to change the models of TV. We planned to substitute all the old TVs by this November, so also many new channels will be available later on.

Thanks also for the suggestions about restaurants for the next travellers.

I am sure next time we will be more prompt to help you with any request. Just don't be shy, please :)

Grazie, Francesco Bini

Reviewed 20 October 2011

I had such high hopes for the Hotel Orto De Medici. My husband and I wanted to visit Florence and use it as a base for visiting the wonderful towns of Tuscany. I booked months in advance, directly from the hotel's website and was happy to have gotten a "Classic Room" for a reasonable rate. I read that one of the newer rooms was fantastic and made a request to the hotel. The hotel replied promptly that the room was already reserved but will make a note in case of cancellations, and was assured that there were plenty of beautiful rooms available.

When we arrived, we found the lobby to be beautiful. Very modern and nicely decorated. There were 2 computers for guests to use - a huge plus!! The gentleman at the front desk was very nice and told us that room I requested was a Superior Room which was unavailable. This was fine - until I saw the room we were given. The room was spacious, but dark with little charm. The furniture was old and worn. It looked like something you would get from a yard sale. The bed was large, but the covers also looked old and worn out. I asked the front desk if there were any newer rooms available and was told that they were fully booked.

I came to realize that their Classic Rooms = older un-renovated rooms. I wish I had known this. Not once in my correspondence with the hotel was this mentioned. I would add that my review is not simply one of personal taste in decor. As there were 2 nights that were quite chilly, we used the spare blanket. As the night progressed, I noticed a musty odor that came from the blanket. I would have gladly spent extra money for a better room, or have gotten accomodations elsewhere.

Room Tip: Classic Room = Old Un-renovated rooms
2  Thank ilovecookie24
gflorence, Responsabile reception at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2011

Dear Madame, thanks for the review. I always repeat to check carefully the room galleries on the website when you book a room. I am sorry we could not change you to another room you had preferred, but September is the high season for us, and sometimes we are full. I assure that many people likes the "classic" style of our rooms, you can read in many reviews hereunder. We offer them at special rates in order to help the budget travellers.
Thanks for leaving an appreciation to the lobby and the staff. Next time you know what you have to look for: Deluxe room ;-)

Reviewed 18 October 2011

We stayed in a spacious room with a balcony overlooking the garden and the city. The view was spectacular. The staff were warm,helpful and very congenial. The hotel is very tastefully decorated and we would definately return as it was within easy walking distance of all the attractions, retaurants, markets. etc.

1  Thank Ken R

Dear Guest, thanks for the brief summary of all the positive features you encountered in the hotel. I am glad we were able to let you spend a remarkable time in beautiful Florence. Thank you!!