“The only place to stay in Florence!”

Residenza Il Carmine
Ranked #30 of 300 Speciality Lodging in Florence
Toronto, Canada
“The only place to stay in Florence!”
Reviewed 21 August 2011

My family and I have stayed at the Residenza Il Carmine over ten times and we will not stay anywhere else! The owners, Emilio and Miriam, go out of their way to ensure your stay is as pleasant as possible. The Residenza is in walking distance of grocery stores, restaurants and all attractions - you feel like you are living like a true Florentine!

The rooms are clean and beautifully decorated. The apartments are fully serviced so they are cleaned every day.

Thank you Emilio and Miriam for always making our stay so memorable!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Toronto C

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Quincy, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 August 2011

This was my 6th time staying at Residenza Il Carmine. I have stayed in both the Mirra apartment and also Domus apartment. Both of these have access to the beautiful garden.
Binoculars are good to have as there are a lot of birds which fly around the Basilica di Santa Maria del Carmine, which you can see from the garden. Listening to the bells of the church ringing is music to my ears!! After a busy day of museums, churches, eating and shopping, it's a fabulous, warm feeling knowing that your "home" at Il Carmine is waiting for you to plop down on the sofa and relax, or pour yourself a glass of Prosecco to enjoy in the garden.

The building has been around for hundreds of years. I think Filippo Lippi lived next door or one of the Lippis. I would imagine Brunelleschi himself walked along this street at one time or another! Plenty of nearby shops to pick up grocery items, too many great restaurants to choose from only minutes away.

The apartments are spotless and a cleaning lady comes every day (except Sunday). The beds are comfortable with plenty of extra blankets if needed. The kitchen in both apartments are stocked with plenty of dishes, pots and pans, French coffee press and moka Italian stove top percolator. The apartments have a stove and small refrigerator, no oven. There is a microwave. Also air conditioning for those hot summer months. I had everything I needed.

The bathroom's (one in Mirra apartment, 1 1/2 in Domus) have great water pressure! Towels provided are more of a linen type material, not 100% fluffy terry cloth like many American's prefer, but they are absorbent and just fine. Shower, toilet and bidet, no bathtub. Plenty of counter space in Domus' large bathroom (important for this girl with a lot of "stuff") LOL. Hairdryer provided.

Caterina gave us the password for the internet; while sometimes "spotty" I never had much of a problem using my IPodTouch. A friend staying in Oro apartment had an IPad and had no problems.

The Li Pira family hold a very special place in my heart. Miriam, Emilio and Caterina are so helpful and kind. Their English is very good and they are a joy to deal with. They will help you in any way they can. Oh, I must not forget to mention Maria, their adorable English Bulldog.

I would recommend any of the apartments of Residenza Il Carmine. A wonderful treasure in a wonderful part of Florence.

Room Tip: All of the garden apartments are wonderful. I may stay in Incenso apartment next visit. Lots of cou...
  • Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank PokeyJo
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 7 July 2011

Just back from Florence and stayed in the Filipi Lipi apartment of Residenza Il Carmine. We got a taxi there from the train station(12 euros) but it is only a 15 minute walk from the train station.There were three of us, myself, my wife and our son (18 y/o).The apartment was very big and located in a quite area but near enough to the main attractions.The owner was very helpful with restaurant suggestions, which we used and found to be very good.
I would definitely stay there again and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank travellerfr0mireland
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 16 June 2011

We stayed here from 16 May 2011 for 5 nights. Booking was easy with no hiccups. The owners were very welcoming, obliging and friendly.

This residence is located in a quiet narrow street in the Santo Spirito region which is across the river from the main tourist centre of Florence about a 15 minute walk to cross over the river or around 8 euros by taxi. The owners were happy to call a taxi when we needed one but mostly we walked everywhere.

The building is very secure. My husband and I stayed in the Incenso apartment. The apartment was very clean. A cleaner comes in every day to take away rubbish.

The charming apartment consists of a well designed little kitchen, a little sitting room divided from the bed by a dividing wall (see pic) which is great if one wants to read and the other wants to sleep. The apartment has been thoughtfully decorated and has a welcoming cosy ambience.

You are provided with a welcome basket including croissants, fruit and yoghurts and a bottle of water in the fridge. The towels are actually linen but they actually worked fine as they were quick to dry. I quite liked them for that reason. There was a large shelf in the bathroom – great to hold all our toiletries.

There was airconditioning and heating. We did not need to use either. There was a safe in the wardrobe.

There was free wi-fi. It was a bit on the weak side and sometimes didn't work all that well.

A pretty cottage garden was available right outside our door with tables and chairs for us and the guests in the other apartments to share.

There was no washing machine but a Laundromat was very close by, about 1 or 2 minutes walk.

An iron and board did not come with the apartment but was provided very quickly on request.

There was a nice restaurant only a couple of doors up and plenty of other eateries, mini mart for essentials, and other quaint shops. We regretted that we ran out of time to explore the area in more detail.

The only negatives I could think of were: There was some construction noise from behind the residence. The bed was a little firm for our liking. If neighbours were talking loudly in the adjoining apartment the sound would travel but we only noticed this on one occasion.

If you don't mind not being right in the heart of the main tourist sites (which means crowds) I would definitely recommend this to you. The rate was good value at 85 euros per night which was a good compromise.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jane56
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 30 January 2011

The owners are charming and extraordinarily helpful with tips for sightseeing, shopping, dining, transportation or anything else you might need. We would go back to Florence because of this place!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple