“Ramen and Japanese Tapas”

Koto Ramen Borgo San Frediano
Reserve with
Save up to 20% when you reserve online *
Koto Ramen Borgo San Frediano is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,247 of 3,047 Restaurants in Florence
Price range: USD 17 - USD 29
Neighbourhood: Santo Spirito / San Frediano
Neighbourhood: Santo Spirito / San Frediano
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

First time having ramen and fair enjoyed it at koto ramen. Lovely staff, nice environment and tasty food. Recommend if you’re having a small bowl to order tapas and dumplings too.

Reviewed 19 May 2018 via mobile

We were looking for a spot to eat not next to all the main tourist attractions and found koto ramen. I have been to japan before, and I was surprised how authentic the food was. Very nice food and friendly staff. For a quick lunch very recommendable.

Reviewed 15 April 2018

My wife and I have been back in the US for a couple of months now and we've discovered an itch we can't scratch!.........THE RAMEN FROM THIS PLACE!! :-) Every once in a while something'll remind me of the meals we had here on our trip and we both wish it were a few thousand miles closer.

We've had at least half of the entire menu(we're both ramen heads) so it was great to slip into this place and get our daily fix of the good stuff. You'd think its an easy jump for Italy to make a slightly different type of noodle but this is where all the novices screw up, ramen isn't just another noodle! Well it kinda is but then you add the broth the 'fixin's' and very quickly the wheels fall off the cart and you have something that looks like a bad minestrone but with a few euros tacked onto the bill because it happens to be Japanese. Trust us, we've suffered enough of that story.

Anyway, to the uninitiated the real story of ramen is the broth, not too salty but enough to accent the lighter flavored additions, colorful-a feast not just for the stomach but also the eyes. Its quite a balancing act but this particular high wire act was performed night after night with seeming ease in a relaxed atmosphere.

You can get in and outta here without breaking the bank which is something to be said in this town, keep it on your iPhone!

The appetizers are illegal in many parts of Europe due to their highly addictive nature, I kid you not. If KFC gets their hands on the Kara-Age recipe its'll be lights out, I don't even like chicken that much but after my second order I realized I was making a complete pig of myself...but ahh I was one very happy pig! :-) My wife even managed to eat a few of the gyoza she ordered, I had a good 50%, but hey! Who's counting? :-)

I mainly try to eat on the healthy side but all semblance of that particular dignity crumbled in the face of that crispy, juicy pork cutlet enrobed in that crunch coating of deliciousness(or whatever they call crack laced breadcrumbs!!) Man, I'm getting the shakes just remembering that pure piece of pork heaven.

OK, lets fast forward to the time I DIDN'T totally stuff myself on the appetizers and finally made it to the soup itself :-) I had the veggie while my wife went for the mushroom/funghi one. Each had really flavorful broth which is no small feat considering it has to stand on its own with little 'material' help from the other ingredients, upon scraping the bottom of the bowl for the last few drops I didn't have that overly-salted coating on the tongue that you get 99% of the time, I actually felt healthier for choosing the dish I did(I had to make up in some way for my other..err 'lapses' :-). I could taste the vegetables and they weren't mushy, each had their own bite and texture.

We didn't have dessert, that'll be something to look forward to on our next trip...if I can leave enough room, I'll try but I'm not promising :-)

PS:I left the same review on Yelp, I didn't intend it on being so long but memories just flooded back as I began to write :-)

Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

I went a few times to the restaurant in santacroce but this one is even better. The bun sandwich is amazing and the tonkotsu is the best ramen I had in my life!

1  Thank curtopia
Reviewed 26 February 2018 via mobile

Loved it! And is pretty hard to love ramen if you never tried it before, is similar as the sushi, the first time you gotta try it in a very good place to like it for real, well, I found my best place for the ramen. Waited a lot, I kinda became 10 years older, but I felt very Japanese eating those noodles than.. loved it, loveeed it. Gotta go back wait two hours with my bolgheri wine and enjoy it to the maximum cuz is great.