“Feel like a neighbor not a tourist!”

Le Gelosie Bed and Breakfast and Apartments
Ranked #32 of 42 Cortona B&B and Inns
maryland
“Feel like a neighbor not a tourist!”
Reviewed 23 July 2010

We stayed in the larger apartment on one of the main squares in Cortona. The apartment was spacious and the kitchen well stocked with pans, dishes, etc. The 2 bedrooms on the 2nd level were small but adequate and the main bedroom on the top floor was great. There are lots of steps so take that into consideration. We stayed for a week and did not want to leave! Cortona is beautiful and there are several restaurants with reasonable prices. We had fun shopping in the market across the street for staples or around the corner for fresh fuits and veggies so we could cook for ourselves as well. Andrea was helpful. We will certainly return soon. There is no parking inside the city but you can bring your things in and then park the car.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 1 July 2010

We chose this B&B based on its location (close to town centre), affordable price and gorgeous décor.

The B&B: is located within the walls of a traditional Tuscan building. There is no WiFi, but you can use their PC and internet if needed. There are a handful of wine bars that offer free WiFi (ask at reception for a recommendation).

The room: we stayed in room 1 and paid €90 / night. The room was big enough for two people to move around comfortably and was decorated with traditional yet modern tastes. We had a heater, AC, TV, dresser and chairs. The linen/queen size bed/pillows were sensational! The bathroom was near-new with expensive tapware and porcelain – I don’t normally care about that sort of stuff but when it’s nice, I like to mention it.

The service: the owner’s sister (Isabelle) spoke fluent English and was very friendly. Breakfast is served off-site in a café. Breakfast includes really good fruit juice, cappuccino/tea and a pastry item.

The location: Cortona is really quite small, so it’s hard to find a bad location. This B&B is a mere 60 second stroll from the main piazza and restaurant area. There is ample free and paid street parking outside the walls of Cortona, with a handful of spots inside the walls. Paid parking is €0.52 / hour.

The conclusion: Cortona was the first stop of our Tuscan experience and it left us with jaws wide open. A stay in Cortona and Gelosie B&B is a must!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 21 March 2010

Le Gelosie is a small B & B located in a narrow building which was once someone's home. It has been totally refurbished. Le Gelosie is perched on the edge of the Piazza Signorelli which is one of the hubs of life in Cortona, so we stayed right in the middle of it all and I'm glad we did. In the B & B, you have to climb stairs to get to your room; this was not a problem for us. Indeed, all of Cortona is steep and hilly and some of the streets are all stairs, so bring sturdy shoes. The views of the surrounding countryside are breath-taking.

Our room was spacious and spare. No strange hotel art to look at on the walls--they were bare and simply stuccoed in a warm yellow color. We had a nice window with shutters which opened onto the square. The bed was especially comfortable--one of the newer foam-topped styles, I think. I like the shiny wood floor--no mouldering old carpets like you find in so many hotels. The bathroom was large and the shower stall, especially so. I loved the huge heated towel rack and really want one to have at home. Our room was warm, too, which was a plus since the weather had been quite chilly.

Here are a couple of suggestions though, to make the place better: though there is the wardrobe, please put a few coathooks around the room and in the bathroom, as it would be helpful to have more places for two people to put their clothing. Also, a little fridge and hot water pot would make great additions.

If you choose, breakfast is included (a slightly higher price). There is no breakfast room in the B & B, though, so you have to go to a nearby bar, so you get to really be part of the local breakfast scene.

Getting to Cortona was a lesson in using public transportation. We took the train from Florence. The station is in Camucia, which is about 4 miles from Cortona, so you either have to take a taxi or a public bus. The buses are more scarce on the weekend, so pay attention to the schedules.

This B & B is different from some I have stayed in because the owner does not live on the premises. So, while you are met when you arrive, you are pretty much on your own for the stay. We had no problem with this as we like being independent. Unless you are with a traveling companion, though, it could feel a little lonely. I am sure the proprietor is available by phone if you have a question.

By far, the two best meals of our whole Tuscan trip were both in Cortona. Nissun Dorma has really interesting and delicious food; my porcini risotto was so good and the best I've ever had. Trattoria Toscana is just a door or two up the hill from Le Gelosie, and our meals there were just great--I had a square-spaghetti-like pasta with flavorful fresh artichoke sauce and my husband enjoyed a spicy fusilli dish with crumbled sausage. The best cornetti (croissant, Italian style) came from the little bakery across the street--pay attention to when it is open, because it is worth a visit.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ArtTraveler A
Ostuni, Italy
Reviewed 14 September 2009

I decided to stay in an apartment on this trip, in order to be able to experience Cortona at first hand - shopping, cooking and relaxing at my own speed. It was perfect. I Terrazzini is under the same management as Le Gelosie B&B, also run by Andrea, who met me at the station and brought me to my apartment. Just off Piazza Repubblica in a tiny alleyway, the location could not have been better. It was immaculate, with two tiny terraces. I had every facility I needed: a modern kitchen with all cooking facilities; air conditioning when we had a few extremely hot days; a lovely sitting room, bedroom and modern shower-room. Andrea was very helpful - full of information about everything I needed to know about self-catering in Cortona. I can't wait to return and will do so as soon as possible.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 8 September 2009

I stayed in Le Gelosie B&B from Monday 31st August to Sunday 6th September 2009. I enjoyed my stay and found that the B&B really suited me. I do a lot of solo travel and like to be left to my own devices and do my own thing. This B&B was perfect for this. Other than check in, check out and getting breakfast vouchers, there was no other interaction with the staff.

It is a small B&B, 4 rooms I think, one per floor. The room has a decent size bedroom, a great, super king size bed (very comfortable), satellite TV (Sky Italia, good selection of english language channels and movie channels), decent dresser and wardrobe space and a decent sized bathroom with an unbelievably powerful shower.

The reception area is mostly unmanned, except for a few hours each morning and guests are given their own front door key (on the same keyring as the room key). The front door is locked when the reception is unmanned. The road that the B&B is on is reasonably busy with traffic (both human and vehicles) but this noise can be shut out by closing the windows. There are a lot of nice restaurants on the same street so there is plenty of choice for dining.

Like all streets in Cortona, Via Dardano is hilly and is an uphill walk from Piazza De La Republica. I got used to this after one day. There are no lifts in the B&B so at the end of your hill walk, you get a nice stair climb. Good for working off the pasta and alcohol! I was staying on the first floor so only had two short flights of stairs.

I didn't meet the owner (Andre) at all but spoke to him on the phone once and he was helpful. Most of my dealings were with Fabiana, an extremely pleasant and helpful Brazilian girl who spoke good Italian but no English. Despite this, I found that we were still able to communicate and she went out of her way to help.

There is no mini bar or any kind of food and drink available in the B&B. You are given a voucher for breakfast in the Nessun Dorma cafe nearby and this was a very nice experience, particularly when sitting in the outside area, watching people pass by and listening to the singers rehearse in the Teatro Signorelli.

In summary, if you are an independent traveller looking for a place to call your own in Cortona for the duration of your stay, then this is the place for you. If you are looking to be waited on, have a 24 hour reception, mini bar, restaurant etc and to have everything done for you, this place will not suit you.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo