“Avererage starter, average meat, dessert was good.”

Ristorante Ambrosia
Ranked #9 of 110 Restaurants in Cortona
Price range: USD 29 - USD 46
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: In mythology, ambrosia is the food or the drink of the gods.From this I was inspired to give the name to my restaurant.I want my customers when eat the food cooked by me in a place with unique atmosphere and accompanied by the sound of running water behind them, with the Etruscan well, they feel special, like gods.To achieve this ambitious goal requires care and attention to every details, not only in the kitchen, trying to honor our tradition and at the same time knowing how to be innovative.Tradition and innovation are the basis for the construction of my restaurant since the renovation of an ancient property with its history and its remarkable passages then would become Restaurant Ambrosia.We've uncovered many elements hidden by time (the arches, the inner well and the beautiful stone wall with a fall of rain-fed), but at the same time we used the best materials and modern components to ensure high level services.Combination of tradition and innovation has also guided the choice of menu. This is divided into two parts, one with typical preparation, related to the area where I was born and raised, and one with with a cooking full of imagination, innovation and provocation.I think it's duty of every chef know how to prepare dishes that are part of the context in which they were born and raised, but at the same time to test changes on these bases."A classic dish with a little touch of fantasy becomes a dish unique that only you can find in THAT restaurant, cooked in THAT way, according to the fancy of THAT Chef."
Reviewed 3 August 2017 via mobile

The negative part: The fried Zucchini flower was to doughy and the meat in the main course didn't have that good meat taste you would expect in Tuscany. It was also cold.

The good part: the squid starter was different and good, the 2 desserts with coconut foam (puerto rico) and chocolate mousse was also very good. Nice staff.

Reviewed 2 August 2017

Stopped here for lunch by accident. Almost a back road beyond the main piazza in the old city. Very good. Ask for a table in the very back of the place that opens up to an outdoor patio with a great view of the valley below.

Reviewed 13 July 2017 via mobile

Ristorante Ambrosia is a short walk from the centre of Cotton's but worth the 7 minute stroll. It's got a very quirky and attractive but compact interior, with an impressive water feature! The star attraction though is the food. The menu is original and inspired, very well prepared and presented. The service was attentive and contained several moments of surprise from the complimentary glass of prosecco, the amuse bouche, rosemary popcorn, delicious homemade bread, small biscuit and meringue samples whilst paying the bill. Overall, excellent value and great food and service.

Reviewed 9 July 2017 via mobile

We have eaten here several times in the last few years and the food is excellent, there are no duds on this menu! The service is lovely too, friendly and helpful, and the chef Matteo often comes out to check that everything is to your liking. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting Cortona.

Reviewed 20 May 2017

This was by far the best of the three restaurants that my wife & I visited for evening meals during our recent short stay in delightful Cortona. We were seated over the fabulous Etruscan well - on its see-through glass panel! The menu offered some very original dishes and we were delighted with the food throughout - in particular our second course dishes of sliced beef (my wife tried some of this and enthused) and roasted suckling pig (I finished off for her - lovely!). The half-litre carafes of wine - one each of red & white - were excellent value and very quaffable. Service throughout was superb and the owner/chef even came to check if all had been ok at the end of our meal, when we received complimentary liqueurs. The setting for this restaurant is perfect and it has great style. Although we were early diners, as the place began to fill up there was a really good ambience. Highly recommended!