“'QUALITY' in a lovely setting!”

Ristorante Ambrosia
Ranked #18 of 104 Restaurants in Cortona
Price range: USD 31 - USD 50
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: In mythology, ambrosia is the food or the drink of the gods.From this I was inspired to give the name to my restaurant.I want my customers when eat the food cooked by me in a place with unique atmosphere and accompanied by the sound of running water behind them, with the Etruscan well, they feel special, like gods.To achieve this ambitious goal requires care and attention to every details, not only in the kitchen, trying to honor our tradition and at the same time knowing how to be innovative.Tradition and innovation are the basis for the construction of my restaurant since the renovation of an ancient property with its history and its remarkable passages then would become Restaurant Ambrosia.We've uncovered many elements hidden by time (the arches, the inner well and the beautiful stone wall with a fall of rain-fed), but at the same time we used the best materials and modern components to ensure high level services.Combination of tradition and innovation has also guided the choice of menu. This is divided into two parts, one with typical preparation, related to the area where I was born and raised, and one with with a cooking full of imagination, innovation and provocation.I think it's duty of every chef know how to prepare dishes that are part of the context in which they were born and raised, but at the same time to test changes on these bases."A classic dish with a little touch of fantasy becomes a dish unique that only you can find in THAT restaurant, cooked in THAT way, according to the fancy of THAT Chef."
Reviewed 20 May 2017

This was by far the best of the three restaurants that my wife & I visited for evening meals during our recent short stay in delightful Cortona. We were seated over the fabulous Etruscan well - on its see-through glass panel! The menu offered some very original dishes and we were delighted with the food throughout - in particular our second course dishes of sliced beef (my wife tried some of this and enthused) and roasted suckling pig (I finished off for her - lovely!). The half-litre carafes of wine - one each of red & white - were excellent value and very quaffable. Service throughout was superb and the owner/chef even came to check if all had been ok at the end of our meal, when we received complimentary liqueurs. The setting for this restaurant is perfect and it has great style. Although we were early diners, as the place began to fill up there was a really good ambience. Highly recommended!

Reviewed 28 April 2017

This is a superior restaurant in a town which has a number of good restaurants. It is located in a wonderful old space with its own Etruscan well cleverly featured at the back of the restaurant. The food is excellent and the service also. The owners speak very good English and really know fine dining.

Reviewed 16 April 2017

Our family of 10, ranging from great-grandparents to two small children under 3-years old, dined at Ristorante Ambrosia. The food was fresh and delicious. My husband and I particularly enjoyed the beef tongue appetizer. The suckling pig was tender and flavorful. The beef stew risotto was hearty and very tasty. The chef was friendly and rightfully proud of the dishes he prepared for us that evening. The restaurant was clean with a welcoming decor. We truly enjoyed our dinner there!

For those with difficulty walking, this was one of the less difficult restaurants to access as it was not too far down the cobblestone road from the parking lot outside the walls. However, don't arrive too early as you may not find seating while you wait for the restaurant to open.

Reviewed 19 March 2017 via mobile

Matteo has a real passion for the food he produces and his introduction to simple food cooked well was refreshing. A real Tuscan gentleman.

Reviewed 16 March 2017

February was a lot of firsts and this was one of them. Matteo was in fine form great menu and service. The selection were all well prepared especially the pasta.
Had the Wine reduction cheese tortalini and a local steak specialty. All was delightful and will return.