Hotel Villa Angela
Hotel Villa Ducale(Taormina)
Hotel Continental(Taormina)
El Jebel Hotel(Taormina)
  • Room Service
All reviewsshuttle bussimple mindsmount etnashuttle servicestunning viewsal saracenosun loungersset highfantastic hoteldvd playerlarge balconyspecial thankslovely poolthe hotel offerswalk into townspent a weekbeautiful town
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 April 2012

We picked the hotel based upon the rating on this site and booked it for 5 nights, though we left again after 3 nights in disappointment. In all fairness, this hotel definitely has some great assets: the view is really splendid, certainly if you have a balcony room overlooking the valley and sea, the staff is very friendly and helpful, the private parking is very handy and the shuttle service to the beach and city very handy.

An important consideration is the distance to Taormina center. The hotel is up the hill so you need to drive, use the hotel shuttle or prepare for a lot of stairs to walk up and down to the city center. If you want to return after 23h10, the only way is walking or pay 20eur for a taxi. This clearly has its charmes, but is key to take into account in your hotel choice.

Then our disappointment, which in the end made us decide to leave early and swap for a place in town: first and foremost, the sleep quality was far beneath a 4 star place. The beds are very hard, and the pillows are like bricks, and moreover, the building is a complete concrete structure with tiled floors which make every move heard: moving chairs, people walking, the cleaning staff in the hallway ... everything! This means you can sleep when your neighbours above you go to bed, and wake up when everybody else wakes up, or sleep with earplugs ... Again in all fairness, the staff was trying to be very helpful and offered us another room (against an upgrade fee).

The second minus is the food. The offering (only breakfast and lunch) is very limited and the quality just poor: the worst cappucino we had in Italy so far, ever, the spremuta watered down to a colored limonade, the lunch pathetic.

In summary, the hotel has some assets but is in our experience definitely not worth the 5-star rating on this site. Unfortunately the great staff could not make up for the lack of sleep and ktichen quality.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank raftote
toryglen, Manager at Hotel Villa Angela, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2012

Thank you for having chosen to stay at our hotel and we are sorry to learn of your disappointment with some aspects of the service provided that you feel inadequate. Your comment that we do not deserve our TripAdvisor 5-star classification is obviously a personal opinion, given the amount of positive reviews written by others regarding our hotel and the unusually high percentage of people who repeatedly return to Villa Angela over the years.

Professional seriousness has always distinguished the management of Villa Angela and we have taken great care to be honest about the services offered and the geographical position of the hotel. In fact, our website clearly states that the hotel is situated approximately 800m from the historical centre of Taormina. Indeed, the position of the hotel on the hillside, offering spectacular views of the volcano and the coastline second to none, which you yourself have enjoyed, is something we are proud to publicise. Anyone who chooses to stay at Villa Angela therefore makes the choice in full knowledge of the hotel’s exact location.

The last hotel bus at this time of year is, as you say, 23.10 however in summer, when people wish to stay out later, the service is extended. The taxi fare from the town centre is €15 and, for people who are happy to walk, the streets are well lit and safe.

Regarding sleep quality, it is difficult to provide mattresses and pillows that suit everyone and that there may be other people moving around in a hotel is clear. As we understood it, the problem was only one – there were children on the floor above, however you did not want us to have a word with the parents nor accept our offer to upgrade at a minimal cost to a room on a different floor.

Regarding lunch, you requested a snack so you chose from the snack menu (you were not given the full lunch menu which offers a much wider range of dishes) and unfortunately you did not mention your concern for the standard of the cappuccino or fruit juice at the time.

As you have experienced, a good rapport with our guests is our highest priority and so we are disappointed when guests who appreciate the hotel’s relaxed friendliness and its staff’s approachability then do not feel able to talk to us openly or accept our offer to resolve a problem.

Charlie Galea
Manager, Hotel Villa Angela

Reviewed 1 April 2012

I recently returned from a short stay at the Villa Angela. We had a nice room and the balcony terrace offered fantastic views of Mt Etna and the coast. The staff were friendly and offered us helpful advice on where to eat. However, breakfast on both occasions really let it down terribly - on both days more than 3/4 of the offering had been eaten and not replenshed - coffee had gone and the fruit juice was so watered down it was diabolical. It was a shame as the hotel does have good qualities and this is an area that really did let it down and something that should be addressed quickly!
The restaurant doesn't offer evening meals on a daily basis but we did find two recommended restaurants in Taormina to visit which were excellent. Near Porta Catania is rosso peperoncino - this was our favourite and offered tasty Sicilian food at very reasonable prices and had attentive waiters. The other was Tiramisu at the other end and had great pizzas and Tiramisu!

Room Tip: Upgrade to get a big balcony terrace
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Justin O
toryglen, Manager at Hotel Villa Angela, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2012

We are delighted that you appreciated your room with terrace and views of Mount Etna and the coast, also the hotel’s friendly staff with helpful advice on where to eat…...it’s just a shame that you did not feel able to talk to us in person about the breakfast! We are however pleased that this is your only criticism of the hotel and would like you to know that we have already taken measures to rectify the situation.

Regarding your room tip, there is no need to upgrade in order to get a big balcony terrace because every room has a terrace spacious enough to accommodate a table with two chairs and two sun-loungers, with a fantastic view of course!

Kind regards
Charlie Galea
Manager Hotel Villa Angela

Reviewed 3 March 2012

Really did enjoy it here. Great views of Etna, lovely tooms with spacious balconies, nice pool. Had the best meal of my life in the restaurant recommended by the hotel, 5 mins walk up the hill towards the steps. The service was very professional , warm and friendly.

Loved going down to Taormina to eat and wander then return to the peace of Villa Angela

Room Tip: I would recommend a higher room, personal preference but liked being four floors up from the pool.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MrsBHeswall
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I stayed in Villa Angela late last year and I was absolutely taken away by the amazing location the hotel was in, complimented by the fantastic hospitality and service I was given during my stay. Anna and Mario were always so helpful on reception, answering all our queries and giving the best recommendations for things to do and places to go and see. The hotel is absolutely stunning, every single piece of detail has been thought through, you really feel like you are experiencing classical Italian ambiance but it a totally luxurious setting. If you are looking for a hotel that is in a great location, with breathtaking views over Tourmina, the coast and Mount Etna, then this is the place to stay. The breakfasts were always tasty and well presented, we always had enough delicacies to choose from, and sat on the outside balcony to have breakfast. The views from the balconies are amazing and what I think me and my friends really miss as it really is idyllic. The hotel staff really looked after us whether we wanted to have a quick cup of coffee and watch the sunset or whether we wanted to go in to down for dinner and drinks. They always took us in the hotel's personal shuttle service, so we were safe and brought back too. The hotel is in great reach of all the amazing sights that you would want to see, so even if you wanted to grab a cab back, you can and it will not cost you much. I will definitely be visiting Tourmina sometime soon, as it was my stay at Villa Angela that made me fall in love with Sicily and I would not want to stay anywhere else. I highly recommend this amazing hotel, as from the minute you arrive...you will never want to leave. A big thank you to all the staff who made me and my friends feel so welcomed and made our holiday so special. We will be back, sometime soon! :)

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sharan C
Reviewed 14 February 2012

I stayed at Villa Angela for a week. This was my first trip to Italy and I am so happy that Villa Angela was where I decided to stay.!!This hotel is a great location for all ages, families, couples and if you are looking for a break alone. The idylic setting and fantastic staff really contribute to an amazing time. The hotel decor is very rustic and warm which is reflective in the staff's treatment of guests. You are made to feel like a VIP by all that work there. As it was my first time to Taormina I was really greatful for all the recomendations. I would not hesitate to go back what a fantastic hotel. The shuttle bus that runs frequently is also really handy so you are able to get into town when you need to so you re in close proximity to all the bars, shops and more importantly the beaches. Thanks to all at Villa Angela :)

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends