San Domenico Palace Hotel
USD 203*
USD 193*
USD 1,935*
1,360 results
All reviewsformer monasteryprincipe ceramicentral courtyardstar michelin restaurantbeautiful hotellinen sheetsclassic roompublic roomssea viewbreakfast buffetluxury hotelcommon areasshower curtainthe main streetjunior suitebars and restaurantsmount etna
Reviewed 15 June 2012

my second stay in this former monastry, extraordinary period rooms, stunning views from the bar, restaurant and most rooms, antique furniture make a real old world charm. I am a fan!
I liked:
-Incredible breakfast buffet served in the terrace overlooking the bay,
-Parking on the property
-professional and kind staff under Enrico's management

Room Tip: I stayed in room 368, very spacious, little loggia overlooking the sea with a view on the Italian mainland
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank RolfParis
Reviewed 14 June 2012

Beautifully restored old monestary overlooking the deep blue Ionian Sea. Rooms look out over a gorgeous garden to the sea. Probably the biggest selection of food of any breakfast buffet I've seen short of a Sunday Brunch - and, you get to stuff yourself while sitting on a bougainvillia-draped terrace overlooking the sea far below. Hard to get to - my GPS refused to get me there - so be sure to get explicit instructions.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Look this is a beautiful hotel in a lovely setting that looks out on to the sea and to Etna. The art inside the hotel is stunning. The swimming pool great so why have I only given 3 out of 5? Well little things u may say but remember this is a 5 star hotel, a leading hotel of the world whatever that means and costs a lot! So I do expect the absolute best, I don't expect at quarter past 11 at night when no one else is in the cloisters bar that I can't sit at a certain table by the surly waiter, not that I just can't sit at it but that don't I understand what reserved is? Yes actually I do but the table didn't have a reserved sign on. Equally I don't expect my car to come back from the car park covered in mess. And I don't expect wifi to be charged. Petty and small minded.To be fair the duty manager listened and sympathised and as such this review is more tepid than it could have been and I would love to go back to this hotel but as the manager said 5 star service should be taken for granted by the guests not dragged out of people.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 6 June 2012

I stayed here at the end of May with my boyfriend and we agreed that it was truly one of the most spectacular places we have ever stayed. As a lovers of history and architecture, we were delighted by the hotel's location within a former monastery. A very unique experience. The cloisters surround lush little courtyards overgrown with bougainvillea and creeping vines. The garden, perched on a cliff that overlooks the Mediterranean, was a flash of Eden: rose bushes, orange trees, birds of Paradise, hedges made of lavender. The smell! We found the room charming and clean if not huge. The service was excellent. We were very well taken care of and the staff was extremely helpful.

Note: I am not into swanky modern hotels with tons of amenities and huge suites. If you are, this might not be the place.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the old part of the hotel overlooking the garden and ocean.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Sacrestia, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at San Domenico Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2012

Dear Guest,

thank you for sharing on Trip Advisor your comments , I would like to thank you for having appreciated our services.
Your satisfaction is our best reward for the efforts we make to ensure that our Guests have a
comfortable and generally enjoyable stay in our Hotel.
We look forward to welcoming you at the San Domenico Palace Hotel on your next visit in

Reviewed 24 May 2012

There is no doubt that this is a fantastic hotel. The public areas are beautiful – lovely lounges, exceptionally beautiful gardens and fantastic views. The staff are very courteous and attentive, if a little snooty from time to time. The food is first class. When we were there, breakfast was served on the terrace overlooking the bay. We ate twice in Les Bougainvillées restaurant which was very good indeed and recommended.

The hotel is just a short walk to the centre of this charming and chic town. They picked us up from the train station.

However, we weren’t at all impressed by our room/suite. Certainly it was large and had a nice patio area but the carpet was old and stained, the furniture chipped and the plumbing very poor. The safe did not take a laptop which meant leaving it in reception every time you went out.

Still apart from the room, we really loved it.

Room Tip: Ask to see your room before checking in.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple